On Mon, 14 May 2012 22:50:33 -0400
Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> I tried Hugin, but got nowhere.  I set  6  points on each
> picture, which are  2  overlapping parts of a single
> original negative, but all it offered was a black screen;
> I did follow the on-line help.
>
> Then I tried Imagemagick & got a good result after a bit
> of fussing. The commands I used were
>
>   convert -size 1000x760 canvas:black brum-canvas.jpg
>   composite -geometry +0+0 brum-3070.jpg brum-canvas.jpg
> brum-1.jpg composite -geometry +220-8 brum-3068.jpg
> brum-1.jpg brum-2.jpg
>
> You can see the images at
> http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/test/ : they are of
> trams in Colmore Row, Birmingham in May 1953 .
>
> I still need to light/darken  1  image a bit to hide the
> join, but as a proof of concept this shows it's feasible
> with Imagemagick.
>
> Any further advice re Hugin is welcome: can anyone do it
> with these photos ?

I just tried with fotoxx: This is a semi-manual process, but
I liked the resulting image. The joint is less visible
than on brum-2.jpg. It was easy to do an "unbend" after
merging, and therefore the clock and the face on the image
borders stay in the image. This was my first try to do a
panorama in fotoxx, and it took me less than 5 minutes,
much faster than with hugin. If you like I send you the
image to your private mail.

Urs