120516 Urs Schutz wrote:
> On Wed, 16 May 2012 00:12:25 -0400
> Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>> I can't find out how to turn it into a rectangle.
> Transform -> Unbend Image
> Play with the vertical values, this is very easy, fast and
> intuitive. With brum-3.jpg the best combination was:
> vertical linear 5, vertical curved -16, Done
> and after that
> Transform -> Trim Image or even easier
> Transform -> Auto-Trim Image to get rid of the black areas.
> In the case of brum-3.jpg apply a little bit of
> Retouch -> Gamma Curves, (bend the left part of the curve
> a little bit to the bottom, and the right part to the top)
> to enhance the image contrast.
> Normally the image looses a little bit of sharpness during
> the panorama stitching. You can correct this with:
> Retouch -> Sharpen Image.

Thanks ! -- I tried unbending, but it seemed rather clumsy;
clearly, I need to take more time to get the hang of how it works.

> But: If you would like to make an exhibit, then you get
> better image quality if you bring the negatives to an old-fashioned
> photographer for direct enlargement on B&W photo paper.

I may submit some of them to rail/transit journals for publication,
but won't have a use for hardcopies nor did I know anyone still did that ...

I checked all the apps in media-gfx , but very few are relevant :

  Graphicsmagick -- a long-ago fork of Imagemagick ;
  Digikam -- mb an alternative, but has  39  deps &  155 MB  download ;
  Enblend -- removes dark/light line from .tiff's made eg by Hugin.

Anyway, I have  3  apps to play with & will see where I get to.

Thanks again for your very helpful advice & I HTH others.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca