Given the circular 'we at a dead-lock' type posts I see on the modularity EG
list (well, the observer list anyway) I get the feeling that it'll be a LONG
time since we see modularity in the JDK.  And if we do happen to see it for
Java 7 - there's likely to be a lot of disgruntled/frustrated people over it
'not going there way'.
I certainly hope a proposal and solution come up soon that keeps everyone
happy - although at this late stage in the game, even once they get a
solution and have it implemented, theres the mammoth task of actually
modularising the JDK codebase, and the even bigger wooly mammoth task of
decided how granular those modules should be.

I really don't envy Alex, Joe and anyone working on that task.  OSGi and my
relatively small project is enough for my headaches :)

Mark

--
Pull me down under...