From: Stories <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: MD: Sony's new Internet Audio Recording Interface

> >A Pentium II at 400MHz can manage to convert to MPEG-I Layer III at
> 128Kbps
> >in real time.  It cannot handle significantly higher bitrates in real
> time.
> Do you mean Compressing or Decompressing?
> If your talking about compression, what software do you use?
> because theres a HUGE variation between different products.
> My PIII-500 quite happily compressed a 2:30 wave @ 320kbs 44.1 mp3 in
> ~30 seconds
> while playing back mp3's. (Using Xing audiocatalist.)
> So I shouldn't think a P-II - 400 is that much slower.
> Anyway my point is that it depends on how the software is written.

Yes, and the efficiecy of the encoder. Fraunhoffer is much more efficient
than Xing, but also much slower. The resulting MP3s are higher quality at
the same bitrates.

> >This is the machine I have at work, and that is my experience with it.
> And
> >as everyone knows, 128Kbps MP3 sucks compared to ATRAC 4.
> Again Different software, different results.
> Also going through a noisy analogue sounds card doesn't help matters.  I
> find 128/44.1
> mp3 fine (certainly just as good as Minidisc) when going through the
> same DAC (JE520)

Not sure what stereo system you use, but even on my cheap stereo I have by
the bed, I can hear a difference between well encoded MP3 at 128kbps and MD.
MD leaves MP3 well behind until you encode at at least 192kbps.

> Incidentally dose anyone know how MP3 & ATRAC compare regarding acoustic
> compression?

I've compared them quite a bit and I arrived that the conclusion that there
is more difference in quality between different MP3 encoders than there is
between ATRAC and MP3. I reckon Fraunhoffer IIs encoding at 224kbps is about
the same as Sony ATRAC 4.5 (not type R).

Magic
--
"Creativity is more a birthright than an acquisition, and the power of sound
is wisdom and understanding applied to the power of vibration."

Location : Portsmouth, England, UK
Homepage : http://www.mattnet.freeserve.co.uk
EMail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]