On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, J. J. Horner wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 03:58:48PM +0100, Stas Bekman wrote:
> > > By the way, does mod_perl have a "board of directors"?  If there was a
> > > mod_perl consortium backing mod_perl (Merlyn, Lincoln, Doug,  Stas
> > > etc) formally, I'm sure we could get some pretty serious notice.
> >
> > Yes, it's called Project Management Committee (pmc) and currently the
> > members are Doug, Eric Cholet, Ask and me. This committee is a part of the
> > Apache Software Foundation (ASF) group, which has pmc for every project
> > hosted under ASF umbrella.
> >

> So, if we were to look for a mod_perl certification, shouldn't this
> group of fine, upstanding people be the ones to design it, and have
> merlyn administer it through his site, or maybe this group could form
> a subcommittee to do the dirty work (grading, signing certificates,
> keeping track of certificate numbers, setting up mailing lists, etc).

Obviously that if this is going to happen, the teaching entity that
actually gets paid for their time, will do all the work. Certainly we can
"help" to define and fine tune the details at least to review things, but
you understand that we cannot sign certificates, because we aren't the
part of the whatever company which will do the certification.

> I truly believe that what worked for M$ could work for us.  M$ proved that the
> key to getting any technology accepted, no matter how inferior, was to create
> a group of people who could advocate, administer, and sell the technology.

It's all true, but Randal is right by saying that you need certification
when you have herds of programmers and you want to have some easy (not
always good) way to leverage them. The only reason I've suggested the
certification idea is to do the the other way around to create the herd of
mod_perl programmers, because we have a certification program. Of course I
can be wrong, it's just an idea.

> If I'm way off base, please let me know.  I'm spending considerable
> brain power on this idea and if I'm wasting it, I need to know.  I
> don't have much spare brain power and I could use it to try to figure
> out my wife . . .

:)

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://apachetoday.com http://logilune.com/