Certification does have its merits. I know this analogy is not
quite correct but its the only one that comes to mind. Would
you have a nurse or a doctor treat your abdominal pains? I rather
not have the abdominal pains in the first place but I rather
have the doctor treat me than the nurse. If money was not an
big issue, would you have a plumber or a certified plumber
working on your broken bathroom pipe?

Sadly but true that a lot of "certified" professionals whatever
out there are who are not really deserving of the title "certified ...".
How, as a business owner, manager, etc., determine whether or not
you are as good as you say you are? Its difficult unless you
personally know him.

I believe that certification is a good thing. It gives a
field of expertise credibility. It can make it attractive for
people to choose a field of study.

My question is now:

   Is it possible for a open source community to certified each other?
   Is it credible?

Flames welcome,

..todd