At 05:55 PM 12/7/00 -0600, Jimi Thompson wrote:
>Geeks know its just paper and that paper three appropriate uses (for
>writing on, paper
>airplanes, and TP).  Geeks know that paper doesn't pass for
>credentials.  The PHB's haven't

You miss the point.

It's not about credentials in a boolean sense. It's about probability and
statistics.

Someone who has credentials/training on their CV increases the probability
that they know something, it doesn't mean they definitely know something.

Obviously they still have to be technically interviewed, but in lieu of
someone with or without certification, it's easier to short-list on the
basis of such certification (or some equivalent outstanding thing such as
contributing to CPAN).

Everyone knows that a University Degree in CS doesn't mean someone is a
great programmer. And there's a ton of people out there who prove
otherwise. BUT out of people who are hacks and people who have degrees in
CS, the people with degrees in CS have a tendency to have a background that
make them better programmers.

Also different types of certs have different probabilities. A lot of people
know MCSE means little nowadays. But an MCSD is fairly difficult from what
I understand. And on the other end of the spectrum, the couple of people I
know who are fully 100% CISCO certified through and through are like
networking Gods (at least to me).

Degrees and certifications help narrow things down. It doesn't mean they
are perfect, but they definitely are not just TP as you so eloquently put it.