Stas,

Thanks for trying out my code.

> Jean-Sebastien, are you *sure* that what crashes is apache and not
your
> client? it seems that you have the client crashing if removing <nobr>
changes
> everything. What's your error_log says?

My client is IE, and it stays open and responsive after the crash
message. The crash message itself is a dialog box titled "Apache.exe -
Application Error"... That's pretty much a dead giveaway that it isn't
my client that's crashing.

My error_log says:

       [Tue Aug 05 11:10:58 2003] [notice] Parent: child process exited
with status 3221225725 -- Restarting.
       [Tue Aug 05 11:11:00 2003] [notice] Parent: Created child process
1360

so I'm pretty sure it's either Apache or the Perl instance started by
Apache that's crashing. What's more, from the command line and from
normal CGI, the same script (with identical output) runs without any
crash - client or otherwise.

> BTW, I can't reproduce you problem.

That's bad news. Of course, this may be platform-specific... Did you try
on Win32?

Where should I go from here? This is really preventing me from using
mod_perl at all. As I said, the same things run without problems in
normal CGI.

> You must run your code with warnings
> enabled, add to httpd.conf:
>
> PerlSwitches -wT
>
> and you will see:
>
> Variable "$template" will not stay shared at /tmp/CRUSH/index.cgi line
26.
> Variable "$vars" will not stay shared at /tmp/CRUSH/index.cgi line 26.
>
> which is probably unrelated to your problem, but it's very bad. Search
> perl.apache.org for hints how to resolve the latter.

Thanks for the hint. I just modified my httpd.conf to include the
PerlSwitches line, and I don't get the same warning messages you do...
(actually I don't get any warning message) Is there a reason for this?

So what do I do now? For now, I'm continuing development of my
applications under normal CGI, but I'd really like to see them work
under mod_perl...

Anyways, thanks for you help.

J-S

Jean-Sébastien Guay                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Software Developer, Hybride         http://www.hybride.com
Piedmont, Québec, Canada