>My reply to this would be like buying a NEW Car from the DEALER rather than
>a HOT ROD from a Mechanic.
>
>The Average user wants all the Warrenty and assurances - reliable service,
>documentation and FULL service support that a Microsoft can and will supply.
>
>If you want to own a HOTROD you have to be willing to do the work yourself
>to try and get the special parts etc.. from all the various venders that
>will sell it. Your not going to find it all under one roof. Welcome to
Linux.

A fine analogy, and one that raises a point that's actually interesting I
think - why do dichotomies like NEW Car / HOT ROD always arise? How
inherent are those problems? I mean, is Linux doomed to either be kind of
fringy, or lose everything appealing about it?

For those who like worrying, this seems like something worth worrying about.

 - C