---------------------------------
[42] Saying that...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
With regard to story 41 it would be nice if Utd read the piece and decided that this
season all the players would walk over to travelling United fans and show their
appreciation rather than the usual two;
Becks and Gary Nev.

---------------------------------
[41] More ABUism
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'A Malaysian paper says Liverpool have beaten Manchester United in the Far East charm
game. The Reds from Merseyside were reckoned to be more friendly with fans than the
United players. Liverpool's squad were ruled first-rate at making friends, while
United were let down by the Neville brothers who were reported to look bored while
signing autographs.'

(have they not seem them before?)

'Both teams have been mobbed by of fans on summer tours of the Far East. Reporters for
The Straits Times rated both teams in terms of friendliness to fans. They said during
a visit by United to a Courts furniture store in Singapore the Nevilles looked bored
but Ronny Johnsen smiled, along with Denis Irwin and Juan Sebastian Veron.

Wes Brown "grinned" at fans and David Beckham at least made eye contact while Dwight
Yorke and Paul Scholes were both deemed friendly and "nice guys".

"The rest chose to chat with one another or stare at their pens," the paper reports.

But Liverpool came out on top in the charm stakes.

"Based on anecdotal evidence, the boys from Manchester United clearly lost out in the
charm offensive compared to their rivals from Liverpool," reports the paper.

"From their smiling faces at the airport to their friendly waves at practice sessions
and willingness to sign autographs, the Reds were first-rate in making friends..."In
Liverpool, we got a team which won hearts for its sweet, down-to-earth and accessible
footballers. Who can forget Jamie Redknapp's smile? In Manchester United, we got a
team which won heads for its superb, classy brand of football."

So smiling is what counts these days is it - plastic trebles anyone?

---------------------------------
[40] Real president praises us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Real President, Florentino Perez:

"In terms of organisation, marketing and professionalism, without doubt Manchester
United are the team to copy."

---------------------------------
[39] More from Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I know I would have been playing with great players in Spain, but we have great
players, too. You can have 11 stars but for me the way the group at United sticks
together is an important quality. The team must do everything for each other. It is a
great group to be in for encouragement. You can tell the core of the side has been
together from their youth team days and I put great value on that."

---------------------------------
[38] Ruud speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I had the option to join Real Madrid. I was told by the  chairman of PSV that they
had made a bid, but I'd made up my mind to  join United and nothing was going to
change it. Real have a remarkable array of stars, but I am happy here and believe this
squad is as good."

---------------------------------
[36] Eminem in Scouse shock
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Eminem's upcoming concert in Liverpool is to go ahead despite concerns about a
sickening attitude to women, appallingly obscene language, an irresponsible attitude
to sex , violence, crime and of course, dress sense. Eminem has said despite these
shocking idiosyncrasies he was willing to judge Scousers for himself.

Boom, boom

---------------------------------
[35] More Kenyon on new boss
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think what we are saying is, he needs to have demonstrated success where he has
already managed. He will also be over a certain age. We have always looked at this
continuity aspect at United and we have concentrated on the current squad and making
major investments in youth, which will come to fruition after Alex has retired. We
have a shortlist, we are looking at half a dozen to 10 potential managers.

We have an open mind about who the new manager will be. We have to ascertain where he
comes from, what he is currently doing, where he is, we have to be ready by Christmas
to concentrate on a successful season next year.  What happens between now and
Christmas won't alter our view, in  reality we are not looking at just results, we are
looking at a record of sustained achievement. Really this time period will allow us to
look into the new man, to make sure we get the right man.

Culturally and philosophically he has got to understand and believe, and have
demonstrated, that he supports the development of youth.  The guy has got to have
demonstrated a record of achievement, domestic and European."

(that rules out an Englishman surely)

"He has got to accept there is a style of play that our supporters expect. They expect
us to win, but not only that, to win with style and flair. That is part of the romance
of the club. We haven't got a long list and, yes, it does include foreigners.

We will not ignore the opinion of a guy who has done the job for 16 years and is one
of the best ever."

---------------------------------
[34] Keegan loses it already?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Mirror reports that he had a 'I'll love it' moment after city's 2-2 draw (isn't that a
good result for them?) with Scunthorpe. He tore into the players and told new buy
massive, or is that Colosimo that: "If you play like that again, you'll be on your way
back to Australia" (rumours that 10 other players asked if they could go as well were
quikcly denied).

---------------------------------
[32] Lizarazu on staying at Bayern
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I was very flattered by the Manchester United offer. It's always pleasing to see that
your work is recognised by others. But in my own interest it's better to stay here"

---------------------------------
[31] Final Kenyon comment on new boss
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The new manager will be aware of what he has to do and will not have to be fazed by
that. But, remember, we will present our new manager with something that a lot of
clubs cannot. A group of highly talented 26-to-27-year-old footballers who still have
their best years to come - yet already have a wealth of experience at home and in
Europe. That is why it is the best job in football."

---------------------------------
[30] Kenyon happy with himself
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I do feel I've proved myself because we have done some big deals. It is testament to
the club that we signed the players we did. I think the whole team is excited about
the new season. The new signings have given everyone a general lift."

---------------------------------
[29] Kenyon on Fergie and new boss
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
We wanted him to stay on and we had a number of conversations about it. But he has
spent a long time as manager and wants to finish. During the course of last season it
was obvious he was not going to change his mind about retiring. The right manager will
not be fazed by Sir Alex looking over their shoulder. If he is, then he  is the wrong
man for the job.

It's the biggest, hardest and the best job in football. It is imperative that we get
the right man to do it. We have a short-list, a decision will be made and then after
Christmas we will have plenty of time to sort out getting the right man in place.
Obviously it will be difficult to approach other clubs but the fact Alex is leaving is
a well publicised event. We are not going to need to put an advert in the paper and
people could  well come to us. We get the best footballers and I am confident we will
get the best candidates for this job."

---------------------------------
[28] Kenyon on Fergie replacement
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The best will understand the role they are filling. Obviously, the job at United is a
bigger one than when Sir Alex started. The man we want will have to be a big strong
character, it's the toughest job in football. His profile will have to  be at the top
level. He will also have to be able to demonstrate his record of achievement. He will
have to identify with the style of play Manchester United fans have come to expect.
This club is expected not only to win - but to win with flair. The next manager will
also have to demonstrate he supports the development of youth because that has been
extremely important to us.

Sir Alex is the best manager in our history and, obviously, we will want his opinion
on the new appointment."

---------------------------------
[27] Our very own Dantes Hell
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
The SUN with a back page headline of 'Wenger fits the bill' suggests that as United
have revealed 'the identikit of the man who will replace' Fergie the 'one man who fits
the criteria perfectly is Arsenal's Wenger'.

No, no and thrice no!

They suggest we have a short-list - which Utd have denied - of Hitzfeld, Capello,
O'Neill and O'leary.

---------------------------------
[26] Royalty has pop at United fan!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Very slim link with Utd I know but the SUN also reports how Prince Phillip met a 13
year old Utd fan at the University of Salford and when told the lad wanted to be an
astronaut told him: "You'll have to lose a bit of weight first". The boy went home in
tears.

---------------------------------
[25] From Becks to Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
The SUN reckons that the Beckhams are to sell their penthouse in Alderley Edge because
it's too small - and Ruud may be buying it.

---------------------------------
[24] Come and join us, come and join us...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Alright, I'm sad (I've also just signed up for MUTV...) but the more people involved
the more whip cracking fun we'll have eh!

For those of you interested in joining theFootball Fantasy League for this coming
season, a Red News League is now available at www.cyki.com.

Once you have entered your team, simply click on My Leagues and in the Join box, type
the following (might be easier to cut and paste).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[23] Arthur Albiston on Talksport
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Arthur Albiston will host Scotland's first phone-in show on talkSPORT, starting on
Monday July 30 on 1089 and 1053 AM every weekday from 4-7pm :

"It's a great opportunity to give the people of Scotland what they want - intelligent,
provocative and entertaining debate about the game by Scots, for Scots and about
Scots. I'm looking forward to having a lot of fun and getting stuck in to the real
issues that matter to Scottish football fans".

---------------------------------
[22] More from David May
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It is time to take stock and get in the side or move on. As I can't see any chance of
breaking back in at United then I have to think about leaving. I have been fit since
Christmas and I was available if the manager had wanted. I trained every day apart
from maybe a couple of sessions. I want possible employers to know I am fit. If other
clubs want me on a loan so I can prove that to them then that is no problem for me. I
have a full pre-season under my belt and I'm ready."

---------------------------------
[21] But David May may have played his last game for United
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie won't like this public outburst.

David May on the Far East tour

"I had my visa stamped in my passport ready to go. I presumed from that I was on the
tour. But I was never actually told I wasn't going, my name just wasn't on the list
that went up. Nothing was mentioned. I think in no uncertain terms the manager, by
what he has done, is saying to me that my United career is over. Maybe now it is time
to look elsewhere. If the right move came up I don't think he'd stand in my way! I'll
have been at Old Trafford nine years by then and I'll have only had 150 first-team
appearances to my name, which is pathetic. At 31 I need to be playing senior football.
The reserves are no good for me."

---------------------------------
[20] Rai decided to stay
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Raimond van der Gouw has signed a new one-year contract.

---------------------------------
[19] Coach travel to Cardiff
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
High quality executive coach - pick up points all over North West, ring Ambassador
Travel on 01253300250 - for the Charity Shield.

---------------------------------
[18] Dutch man plans appeal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Frank de Boer:

"I think we've given them something to think about, that's for sure. I get a really
good feeling about this, much better than the first time."

---------------------------------
[17] Only come to see United?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the official site

'United's Under-19s attracted a bumper crowd to Boston on Wednesday night for  a
pre-season friendly. The 1-1 draw was watched by 5,184, which is more than  double the
average league gate at Boston. The young Reds, coached by Dave  Williams, took the
lead just before half-time through Ben Muirhead. Ross  Weatherstone then equalised for
the Nationwide Conference club in the 55th minute.'

---------------------------------
[16] How the rest of the lads are doing
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Teamtalk

www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/Team_News/#ret">^top

'United are rumoured to be set to field a mystery trialist from the Czech  Republic in
tonight's friendly against Doncaster Rovers.

United (from): Culkin, Williams, Roche, Lynch, May, O'Shea, Michael Clegg,  Wallwork,
Stewart, Djordjic, Webber, Davis, Wilson, Nardiello, Tate, Tierney, Trialist.'

---------------------------------
[15] Thailand expect tonking
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Their coach is Peter Withe - wonder where his beard had disappeared to. Or is that
what Veron stole off him?

"Our players have to play five games in nine days. The fixtures of the GSM Thailand
League have not been amended to  allow for sufficient rest for the national players.
In fact, two matches will be played on Saturday, the eve of the big clash against the
Premiership champions. It will be a difficult match because Man Utd are a top European
team. But we  are not going to play defensively. We will try to win and try to take
any  opportunity. They will  feel very hot, and hopefully they will run out of steam"

Yeah, right.

---------------------------------
[14] United confirm goalie deal
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Press release

'Manchester United are delighted to confirm that they have signed goalkeeper  Roy
Carroll from Wigan Athletic on a four year contract that runs until June  2005. The
fee is not being disclosed.

Sir Alex Ferguson says: "We are delighted to sign Roy as he is one of the  most
promising goalkeepers in Britain. He will play in a number of games for  us and will
have the opportunity to learn under the best in the world, Fabien  Barthez.

Statistics:

Height: 6ft 2in
Weight: 11st
D.O.B: 30th September 1977
P.O.B: Enniskillen
Nationality: Northern Ireland
International Caps: 9
Previous Clubs:
Wigan Athletic, 1997 to 2001, 170 appearances
Hull City, 1995 to 1997, 50 appearances.

---------------------------------
[13] Do we get blamed for this as well?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to RN reader Phil

'Alright Barney, Just writing to tell you about the Milk Cup in Northern Ireland. On
Wednesday  night, United were playing a Chilean team and beat them on penalties. When
the  REDS won, the other team attacked the ref and pushed him to the  ground-
obviously it was our fault because we won again!'

The official site said

'United's Under-16s are hoping an anniversary proves to be a good omen when  they play
in the Northern Ireland Milk Cup semi-finals. Neil Bailey's young  side will take on
Botafogo of Brazil exactly ten years to the day since the  club last won the
competition with David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Gary Neville  and Paul Scholes in the
squad. The Reds compete for the Cup every year with youth teams from Britain and
abroad.'

---------------------------------
[12] Latest transfer gossip
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Soccernet and Midas

we will apparently match any bid made by Chelsea or Middelsborough for  Michael Ball.
Fergie could offer £6M.

He does rate him but will the board put one more cheque on the table now Lizarazu
seems set to stay in Munich.

---------------------------------
[11] Becks hints he will stay
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Video of David Beckham saying he wants to stay at United on sky sports

(link:http://www.skysports.com/skysports/videoconn/0,,p2_20010726ds-1860,00.html)
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/videoconn/0,,p2_20010726ds-1860,00.html

---------------------------------
[10] Chadwick conned
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Official site and Football 365 reports that Luke Chadwick was fooled by the team at an
official auction into buying a signed Fergie photo when he was told by the team that
it was a picture of a well known female actress!

---------------------------------
[9] More from Barthez
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"So, yes I had a fantastic time but I really began to miss the ground and  the
competition. I am delighted to be back with Manchester, I returned a few  days ago. I
was worn out but it was such a pleasure to dive back in the bath.  I saw the newcomer,
Van Nistelrooy, and Veron. I do not know him but he is  meant to be very good. With
Beck, Giggs, Keane and him and Scholes as, I  believe we will have a fantastic
midfield. We will be on a level with teams  like Real, with Figo and Zizou. If we meet
them in the Champions League I  can't even begin to imagine what the match would be
like!"

---------------------------------
[8] Barthez speaks!
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"This year, it is the first time  that I have had such a long holiday break. And
frankly, I have benefited from  that enormously! Last year, after the Euro, I
negotiated my transfer to  Manchester, which took a little time, and it was necessary
that I found  accommodation before returning to training. In short, I didn't have much
time  and then went on to play a very long season in England, where the tradition
is to play an influx of matches over the Christmas period and the pace is  high for
the remainder. That is why I took this break and decided not to play  in the
Confederation Cup.

After my American escapade in New York, I left for the Riviera. You know it,  it is an
area which I know well and which I particularly appreciate. I did  not forget my years
in Marseilles and Monaco. I returned to catch up with my  friends with whom I keep in
touch and it is always fantastic to meet up with  them. Of course, I saw my friend
Willy Sagnol with whom I took part in a  Beach Soccer tournament in Sainte-Maxime.
There was also Roby Pires, it was so cool.!!"

---------------------------------
[7] Ole speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We had another big win when we played the Singapore XI this week. We controlled the
game all the way, and the end result was 8-1.I played the first 45 minutes up front
with Ruud van Nistelrooy. It was the
first time we've played together, and it's an underestimate to say I'd like to do that
again! I got my first two goals of the pre-season, and it's always pleasing to open
the account. Let's just hope it continues.

I scored the first goal after a free-kick from David Beckham. Ryan Giggs got the ball
and headed it down to me. There was a question over whether my second goal had gone
in. Anyway a goal is a goal, and it felt good to get started. The Singapore team
started off well, but in the second half we totally outplayed them. We started one
attack after the other, and with a bit more luck we could easily have scored 10 goals,
and with even more luck we could have ended up with 20. We end our tour in Asia on
Sunday with a match against Thailand's national

team, and then it's straight back to England on Monday."

---------------------------------
[6] Phil Neville in song row
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bizarre

"On another note, I was rather disappointed to hear that one of the tabloid
newspapers printed a story relating to me being jealous of my fellow  team-mates that
have songs dedicated to them and that I'd requested a song of  my own.

To put the record straight, at a questions and answers session at my local  Manchester
United Supporters Branch several weeks ago, I was asked what my  favourite song sung
by the fans was and I replied it was my brother Gary' sand the Jaap Stam chant.

This then followed with them asking if I would like a song of my own, which I  laughed
at and replied that every player likes his name chanted by the fans.  This Supporters
Branch, of which I am president, has now decided to run a  competition where young
fans are able to submit entries or ideas for a song  for me.

This was set out as an innocent and independent competition, which I have  never
requested, nor was I informed of. I find it extremely distasteful that  due to pure
lazy journalism this issue has been blown completely out of  proportion and is
completely inaccurate  but then that is what I have come  to expect from some
newspapers."

Bloody hell!

---------------------------------
[5] Phil Neville on tour
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We jetted off to Malaysia last Thursday  for our pre-season tour of the Far East and
while we were aware we have  fantastic support in the Far East, no-one could have
anticipated the size of  the crowds on our arrival in Malaysia.

Thousands of fans easily overpowered our security and our blazers were torn  as we
fought our way through the airport terminal. This was just the  beginning, as 12,000
fans turned up to watch our training session later that  day and huge crowds followed
our every move.

The atmosphere at our pre-season match on Sunday was simply amazing.
Friendlies are sometimes not the most exciting of matches to watch; however  this was
far from the truth. We won the game 6-0 and it was a great start for  Ruud van
Nistelrooy, who scored two goals, and Juan Veron who was  outstanding. Every member of
the team played half a game due to the extreme  temperatures and humidity and to build
up our match fitness in preparation  for the start of the season and it was a superb
display by the whole team.

We arrived in Singapore on Tuesday morning and played our second match
yesterday, which we won 8-1, before flying to Thailand for the final leg of  the tour.
Now we have finally recovered from our jet lag we are just  beginning to appreciate
these wonderful cities and their remarkable  hospitality and are looking forward to
the next two matches."

---------------------------------
[4] Hang on a second
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Houllier saying he doesn't want his players burnt out this season and picked for silly
England games. All these managers that say they don't want to play too many games -
but where were they all when Fergie made the suggestion years ago when they weren't
doing well?

Houllier said: "I'd rather have done without the Holland game. Of course I understand
why the game is there, but I think it's stupid. Particularly because in England the
league wouldn't have started. I understand the reasons, but it's too early. I hope one
national team manager will understand. I will talk to Sven. If he wants the players,
what is the priority, September 1 or August 15? Sven will be sympathetic I'm sure,
he'll have to, otherwise the players will be totally exhausted by September 1. We'll
discuss the situation and that has worked in the past, but he's coming to the
tournament this weekend and we'll have a chat. We had this sort of schedule last
season. Now we are facing something similar. We just have to be careful with our
players. We have seven fixtures in 18 days. We've got two Champions League, two League
games, one Charity Shield, one Super Cup, and an international against Holland."

Scousers - burnt out already?

---------------------------------
[3] Bizarre story of the day
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
Too close for comfort - sounds too much like half of the Red News team...

>From Ananova

'A 14-year-old celebrity lion that's still a virgin has been given a female companion
so he can try to have sex before he dies. Bongo has appeared in films, on TV and in
adverts but now is terminally ill with lung cancer. His handlers at an Ontario Zoo say
if he'd been allowed to mate, he would have been too aggressive in the company of male
humans. The lion appeared in the films George Of The Jungle and The Ghost And The
Darkness. Michael Hackenberger, his trainer at the Bowmanville zoo, has put him in an
enclosure with Gresil, a four-year-old lioness from a zoo in Quebec.

"To me, this is just that final bit of closure that completes the circle," Mr
Hackenberger said.

Of one of his attempts, his trainer said: "He was very amorous. The foreplay was
excellent".

But as far as mating was concerned, he added: "It's very obvious he didn't have a
clue."

---------------------------------
[2] Liverpool strikers injured
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
As they beat Valencia 1-0 in a very lucky (what, Liverpool, surely not!) pre-season
friendly.

Houllier said: "Emile had to come off after getting a kick in the back, he is swollen
and bruised. I do not know whether he will be able to play against Ajax on Saturday,
we will have to see, but at the moment it is very doubtful. As for Robbie Fowler, who
has picked up a knee injury, he has done some individual gym work and we will have to
monitor him for the next two days to see how he is. It is far too early to say at the
moment."

---------------------------------
[1] Red News' Fergie special
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, July 27, 2001 by bar-knee:
By the fans for the fans.

Our long awaited Fergie special, a celebration of 1986 to the present day to
commemorate his last season as manager (say it isn't upon us) is now about to be
published. Published to celebrate the start of this season.

This limited edition costs just £2 and will be available for sale before the Celtic
game, this Wednesday. It's a bumper edition with some cracking stuff - memories of Utd
fans meeting him, overviews of his time in charge, fond memories, magic matches, the
early days, quotes, pictures - all in all something we have been very proud in
producing. Many Red News readers from this site have contributed - and the great man
himself will of course be getting his own copy.

You can get a copy on Wednesday but if you want to reserve a copy and have it send to
you on publication it costs just £2.50 including postage and packing to the usual
address. We expect demand to be high so you can e.mail us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] to
reserve a copy.

>From Atko's last game at Southampton, Fergie's first at Oxford, some very fond
>meetings of the man, a few surprises here and there as well - get your Red News
>Fergie Special. (and we're also after sellers!).

[21] Join in the fun!
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Getting a few RN readers on board now so come on and join the Red News fantasy
football league before the season starts!