---------------------------------
[20] O'Leary not coming to Utd as next boss
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Phew

Leeds chairman Peter Ridsdale:

"I believe any employee, particularly the manager who is the most important employee,
has to have the right circumstances and right conditions in which to work. David has
total freedom to act. We have supported him completely in the transfer market and he
has a young, fresh and energetic team, who everybody believes will win something in
the next year or two in terms of honours. All I then said was who would want to swap
that for going somewhere that had won everything for years? If he won the championship
in his first year he would probably be seen as a failure if he didn't win the
Champions League. If anybody feels that going somewhere else rather than taking to
completion what was started here was the right thing to do then so be it. But I said
that in the full knowledge David and I have talked about it and David has no intention
of going anywhere.

He has given me complete commitment that he and I are in this together and we are
going to bring trophies to Elland Road as soon as possible. I don't care who is the
next manager of Manchester United - I just care about who is the best man for the
Leeds United job - and we've got him!"

---------------------------------
[18] United not allowed spicy food in Thailand
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Chalong Anunyaphisit, general manager at Bangkok's Radisson Hotel where Utd are
staying:

"It's just too hot and tough for them to handle. They're afraid of getting diarrhoea.
Their nutritionist came here two weeks ago and cancelled our Thai menu. All the
players will have is their same old low-fat, low-cholesterol English menu"

>From Ananova

'The players' staples, including baked beans, low-fat milk and ketchup, have been
imported straight from Britain, while the beef comes from Australia for fear of mad
cow disease, he said. Chef Somsak Rathongkam revealed that Ferguson also forbade
garlic in "every single food."

"This is quite a special request from United. We don't know why but it wouldn't seem
to have anything to do with health," he said.

---------------------------------
[17] Batty wants a move from Helland Road
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Batty:

"I'd love to stay at Elland Road but times move on and things change. When you look at
Elland Road you have to be honest and say that it's not the best stadium in the world.
And comparing it to some of the grounds in the Premiership now, Elland Road is quite
old and run down. But we won't be moving too far from where we are now, and that' s
usually the biggest fear among fans when teams talk about building a new stadium."

---------------------------------
[16] Ruud feared Dutch drug tag
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
After he heard Holland team-mates Edgar Davids and Frank de Boer were banned for a
year after testing positive for nandrolone.

"I was worried for a while. I didn't know where the nandrolone found in Edgar and
Frank came from. We were given vitamin CA and multivitamins before the European
Championship and I was worried I had it too. I gave the tablets to the club doctor at
PSV and he tested it and found they were fine. Jaap Stam did the same."

Phew!

---------------------------------
[15] Ruud on his new colleagues
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It has been hard work in training, but the motivation is there all the way. When you
run 200 metres you stay together. There are always people urging you on. If someone is
tired they pick them up. It is a good group here, that is one of the first things I
noticed. The core of the squad have been together a long time and it shows. They have
played together since youth football, and that is a big advantage.

I would have liked to have more than one year with Sir Alex. You can see that when he
is there, it makes a huge difference.  The few words he said before the game against
Malaysia gives you the right feeling to go on the pitch and do it.  There are coaches
who can talk for an hour, but what you say is important, not how long you talk. With
Sir Alex, he is brief, but what he says is impressive. Roy Keane jokes and plays
around, but when it is time for training or playing he is completely focused on what
he must do. Veron is a terrific player, the way he plays it looks very simple, but he
never loses the ball. He makes it look so easy, as though there is no effort. It is so
natural for im, and that is impressive.

Giggs can take on four or five players at a time and also has a great touch. Beckham
is a  great passer and one of the world's top crossers of the ball. Veron is a
terrific player who never loses possession of the ball"

---------------------------------
[14] More from Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I have my own expectations. I know what I can do and what I want to do. The manager
said that as I have just joined it would take time for me to realise how big the club
is. We are so far away from home, but you can still see how many fans there are. You
could not imagine how big United are until you come to the Far East. When I phone
home, I tell my girlfriend and my parents and they just can't believe it. When we flew
in, Jaap Stam had told me it would be busy, with a few crazy fans, but I didn't expect
anything like what happened. The whole airport was packed. It was very impressive.

The players say it is the same in Australia and Africa, and I know it is in Holland
too! The first call I had when I joined United were the from the Dutch United
supporters. When I played for PSV Eindhoven I could walk around without a problem. But
with United it is totally different, in every part of the world, on every continent.

How does one club become so big? I think it is their history, the stadium, the players
who have played there and the way they play their football. It is incredible. For me
it is just great to be part of that history and be part of the future. Hopefully I can
make my mark. That is what I signed for - to give all I  can."

---------------------------------
[13] Ruud on new season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Everyone knows what great players David and Ryan are, and the whole squad is packed
with quality. From the first week in training you can see what the level is at United.
They are all superb. The midfield of Scholes, Nicky Butt, Keane, Veron and the rest
must be the strongest that there is. As a striker it is perfect to play in there. You
could see in the game against Malaysia that if I make the movement, the ball is there.
It is perfect.

I scored two goals from two great attacks. They all have their own styles. Giggsy is a
player who can take on four or five people, but we also have great one-touch passing.
David is one of the best crossers in the world. You know the cross is going to come
over the first two defenders and right to you. It is great to be a striker with United
and I am sure it will be a good season."

---------------------------------
[12] But you said you'd never wear the Arse shirt again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Patrick Vieria played his first game for Arsenal since all that transfer talk - as
they lost 4-1 to Kocaelispor in Austria.

---------------------------------
[11] Jordan stalked
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
The SUN's front page is 'Jordan death threat horror' as she has apparently received
death threats from a stalker who has said she will hack off her 34FF boobs.

Bet Dwight is glad he's in the Far East.

---------------------------------
[10] Roy Evans on us and them
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Money is important to players - of course it is - but the single-most important thing
is winning medals. Manchester United don't have many squad players wanting to leave
because they are successful. Gerard has always stuck to his beliefs and how the team
should play even when they failed to make the best of starts last season. I think the
players have also got used to the rotation system. It might have been difficult for
them at the start but as the team starts winning, they start believing in it. We know
the fans are fickle, fans want success and Liverpool are used to great things. But
three trophies have silenced the doubters!"

Plastic treble remember.

---------------------------------
[9] Garden gnome activists strike again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
A further 98 garden gnomes have been 'freed' by activists in France.

They were found lined up on a football pitch in Les Deux-Sevres.

Two weeks ago, over 100 garden gnomes were 'liberated' from private gardens in Les
Vosges by the French Liberation Front For Garden Gnomes. They were left on a
roundabout.

After the latest incident, gnome owner Anne Marie Cheneau rescued her Snow White
figure and four others from the pitch.

In a related incident, Greater Manchester Police are investigating a mystery in Moss
Side where 3007 massive people size gnomes constantly dissapear from their gardens
only to be found lined up on the kippax.

These bertie gnomes as GMP fondly refer to them as, are instantly recognisable in
their laser blue outfits.

A spokesman from GMP has condemed those individuals that are responsible for this
cruelty to the berties, however he did add that the 3007 are quickly liberated from
their misery and returned home.

---------------------------------
[8] Preston want Greening
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fighting talk from David Moyes?

"We've made an offer for him. We made it over a week ago but we've not had a response.
I don't know why not."

(er, because we're away in the Far East?)

"He's the captain of the England Under-21s and that fits the bill of the type of
players we want to bring to the club. But it's something which is out of our hands at
the moment, really."

---------------------------------
[7] Schmeichel injured
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
He missed Villa's 2-1 InterToto Cup defeat against Rennes as he aggravated a calf
injury in the warm up.

---------------------------------
[6] Understandable apology
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Those wackly girls who edit the 3am gossip column in the Mirror today print an apology
over a recent story that said Frank Lampard was secretly dating Noel Gallagher's
ex-wife Meg Mathews. We can see why he wanted a printed apology over a story like that.

---------------------------------
[5] Check Eric out!
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thanks to Derek for this

'Whilst surfing I came upon the CanalPlus website, clicked on 'football' and found
that one can be treated to the delights of an Eric & Joel interview taped at an art
exhibition by the man himself.

Click on 'l'exposition' and you can see art painted by the great man (it seems that
football isn't the only thing he does with his feet)!

Go to www.canalsports.com and click on football, then click on 'eric et joel cantona'
at the top of the list, you must have the free version of realplayer to view anything
on this site.'

---------------------------------
[4] Looking for travel to the Charity Shield?
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ambassador Travel are running executive coaches from the North-East to Cardiff for the
Charity Shield. Ring 01253300250 for details.

---------------------------------
[3] Fowler injures knee again
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Inspector Closseau said: "He just felt something in his knee and our medical people
said he could not train. With his track record of injuries I am not confident, he
could be fine - but yes I am worried."

---------------------------------
[2] TBC not changed their stance
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
A RN reader responding to reports that TBC are advocating the selection of individuals
to sort out the on-going standing issue at Old Trafford got in touch with Barry
Brotherton and received the following reply:

'Firstly the media seem to repeating things I said at the end of last season as new
News. I had not made any statements since then until I was recently asked why we had
changed our views (which we have not).

The Club have a basic responsiblilty for ground safety and they have said before that
they would manage the problem of persistent standing by identifying individuals. We
have also said that we want to do an objective risk assessment study of the whole
stadium so that any action we take (or don't take) as the issuers of the safety
certificate can be proportionate to the assessed risk. I hope that we can make some
proper announcements about these matters at our Safety at Sports Grounds Committee
Meeting on 9  August.

Barry Brotherton'

We'll have news of the meeting and report as soon as we have it.

---------------------------------
[1] Red News public information service
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, July 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
1) Keep posted to this site over the next few days for details of our very special
FERGIE SPECIAL and how you can order a copy of this limited edition.

2) With a few of our sellers still lying limp in a gutter somewhere we will be a
couple of sellers short for next season. If anyone fancies what can be quite an an
enjoyable three or so hours each Old Trafford match day (who are we kidding...) with
the odd benefit thrown in, let us know at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

And no, it doesn't rain that often. And yes, you do sometimes get to see someone
famous.

3) After selling out of our popular Che Govanor (get them for the last season)
t-shirts we've finally had delivery of the next batch. If you would like to order a
copy, check out the shop part of this web site.

---------------------------------
[16] You can guarantee that
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
a player will sign for city and come out with the same old tosh we've heard a hundred
times before. If they are so good why didn't they stay up!

Eyal Berkovic: "It's a very big club"

we've had massive, now not allowed, we've had a lot of huge mentions but now we're
back to big.

"...and the moment I arrived I felt this is what I'm looking for. I hope I can help
them get promotion because this club deserves to be in the Premier League and not in
the First Division. To play for Manchester City will be like playing in the Premier
League because of their ambition and because they're so big. Everything around is like
in the Premier League so it doesn't matter for me that at the moment they are playing
in the First Division. I know very soon it will be different."

'Big, city are big, very big, very big, big, very big' as Dustin Hoffman might say in
Rain Man.

---------------------------------
[15] Be grateful for what we have
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Cringe story of the day

'A biker from Berlin whose penis was ripped off in a freak motorcycling accident has
had a new one made from a muscle in his arm. Michael Gruber's penis was ripped off by
the petrol tank of his 900cc Honda when it crashed into a tree. The 37-year-old has
had months of surgery. He can now urinate properly and has a full sex life with his
girlfriend.

He said: "I flew out of the curve and smashed against a tree. I was squashed between
the tank and the seat. The tank was ripped off, and with it my penis. It was agony, I
looked down and it was gone and then I don't remember any more because I passed out.
The doctors made me a new penis from the muscle tissue in my lower left arm."

Surgeons connected a tube inside the muscle to his bladder so he can urinate properly.
He is also able to get an erection.

"I feel like a real man again," Mr Gruber told the German TV documentary programme,
Blitz.'

We have the technology to rebuild you.

[14] Thought you played in Red on the move again
Posted Wednesday, July 25, 2001 by bar-knee: