---------------------------------
[21] Safe standing press release
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Safe Standing campaign receives pre season boost.

The campaign for safe standing in football stadiums has received a pre
season boost after results of a comprehensive football fans survey were released.

The website 'From The Terrace' (www.fromtheterrace.co.uk) issued a
questionnaire to 12,000 subscribers covering a whole range of subjects - one of which
asked if fans should be allowed the choice of standing up whilst watching a game.

The results announced saw 58% of responders in favour of standing areas, whilst 26%
preferred all seated stadiums. 16% were undecided.

Phill Gatenby, spokesperson for SAFE (Standing Areas for England) welcomed the results
and it's timing. 'The result of this specific question is consistent with every other
poll conducted over the last 9 months and give a clear indication that fans do want
the choice of how they view a game. With the new season about start, this is another
reminder to the football authorities - who refuse to discuss the issue - that they
cannot keep ignoring us.'

Indeed, this Friday, 10th August, The Football Licensing Authority (FLA) is meeting
with football authorities to announce measures to be taken to prevent fans from
standing up during games. Gatenby thinks this will have a negative response with fans.

'Rather than consult with fans over these proposals, the FLA have sat behind closed
doors and what they are suggesting will only provoke the situation, not ease it, they
even refused representatives from SAFE access to the meeting.' The FLA are to demand
sections of stands are closed down and tickets for away fans are limited if fans
continue to stand up.

Gatenby continued 'Fans do not stand up as an act of defiance; we do it because that
is how we want to view a game of football. The choice should be made available to
fans, allowing those who wish to sit the opportunity to do so without fans standing up
in front of them. Yet the football authorities refuse to recognise our views and seem
hell bent on making us sit there for 90 minutes as if we were at the cinema.'

The new season will also see a fresh approach from the campaigners too, as Gatenby
added 'There will be more games on TV than ever before and we aim to take advantage of
this in a big way to get our message across.'

---------------------------------
[20] Happy birthday Mickey
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
24 today.

---------------------------------
[19] Ex-Hammer goes mad
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova. As you do.

'Igor Stimac is facing at least a three-match ban following a tunnel bust-up at the
end of Hajduk Split's match against Real Mallorca. The former West Ham and Derby
defender is reported to have punched two Mallorca players and an assistant manager at
the end of Split's 1-0 victory in the Champions League qualifier.

Uefa spokesman Rob Faulkner said: "The incident has been reported by the referee and
the disciplinary committee will look at it on Thursday. A normal punishment in a case
like this would be a suspension of at least three games."

---------------------------------
[18] Owen on Veron
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Owen Hargreaves of Bayern that is.

"Veron could turn out to be the man of the year in Europe this season. If he plays the
way he can — and United hit it off — they can blow anyone away. Veron is my favourite
player of them all. He can do everything — win the ball, pass it, head, tackle, shoot.
If there is one player I want to be like, it's him. He is a fantastic buy for United
and the one player I try to model my game on. With him organising things in midfield
and Ruud van Nistelrooy scoring the goals up front, they could really make the
difference.

Mind you, if Real Madrid buy any more players like Zinedine Zidane we might as well go
home. At the same time, they don't have the appearance of a real team — like United
and us. That's why I put United ahead of them. United have been together a long time,
they know what it's like to win the European Cup and, each season, players like David
Beckham, Roy Keane and Paul Scholes have more and more experience to fall back on."

---------------------------------
[17] Pre-season tour of America
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Further to some rumours about which year it actually was due to take place Red News
has contacted Paddy Harverson who has confirmed that the pre-season tour of America
will take place in the summer of 2003.

With next year being a World Cup year presumably next year's tour will be closer to
home.

---------------------------------
[16] More from Giggs
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I couldn't be jealous of Becks. Most football fans realise he's a great player. Some
of the things they chant are stupid, but it's similar to Man United - if he was crap,
it wouldn't happen. I understand perfectly why people hate Man United. It's because
we're the biggest and the best. If that changes it's time to start worrying.

The last album I bought was by The Stereophonics. I like that

It's nothing to do with footballers how much we're paid. It' just the way the game is
going and while you're not going to turn it down, it's out of players' hands. I've
always liked nice cars. Some players get cars because they're flash, but I've got an
interest. I can change a wheel and that's about it, but I know my cars.

I'm not too vain. You should have seen me this morning with a proper beard. I like to
look good and look after myself, but I don't do designer labels.

I haven't actually got a boat. Never had one. My mates, even my mum, said 'Why haven't
you mentioned you've got a boat?' It's just rubbish.

At 13, I always left the youth club early knowing I had a game in the morning. You
need that discipline. If we drew or lost, I'd be gutted.

I just don't see any way I could go up. Man United, Real Madrid, Juventus and Bayern
Munich are on a level. Barcelona, AC or Inter would be a step down. Basically, I want
to be known as someone who played in a great team who broke records. Nobody's won the
English title four times on the trot as we will have done this season.

Because we've been at the top for so long, it's the fear of other teams winning our
titles. Last season, getting knocked out of the Champions' League and FA Cup were
reminders we need to be at the top of our game. There aren't that many next years now
and I won't be in Man United's first team when I'm 40. It's sobering and I need to
make the most of it. I've lied in the past, saying I don't think about the future. I
do, but I just don't know what I'm going to do. All I want is to be involved in
football in some capacity."

---------------------------------
[15] Giggs interview in Arena
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I've grown up gradually. I was in the papers at 14 (when he played for United
Reserves) and I've never known anything different since school. Even now, some days I
walk around Manchester, just get the odd look and not sign an autograph. Yet on bad
days I'll be stopping every 20 yards. They stop, thinking I look like Ryan Giggs and
realise it's me. I'm used to it.

People laugh when I say I lead a boring life, but I do. I look forward to training in
the morning and having nothing to do for the rest of the day other than going home. My
house is the only place I can relax, other than at training or in actual matches. I
get home about 1.30pm. Then I watch a Test match or some golf on  telly. Then I relax
some more, have my tea and hope there's an evening football match on telly.'

---------------------------------
[14] More from Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Every season someone says that this team or that team is going to overtake United. I
think we may have to work even harder this season but hopefully we will finish at the
top again. The two new signings are both excellent. When you look at the players we
already had, plus those two, you can't help but get excited. Seven championships in
nine years is not luck. We have worked hard for that. It was disappointing that we
were knocked out of Europe last season, but we were still league champions.

We go into the season wanting to win the league first, and then do well in Europe. We
didn't do as well as we could have in Europe last season, but that will be corrected.
If we don't do well in Europe, more is made of it than our performance in the league,
simply because our league form is taken for granted. But the league is our priority."

---------------------------------
[13] Becks repeats his win everything comments
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
"To win every trophy we play in would be a fitting last season, wouldn't it? The
Premiership, the European Cup, the FA Cup, the Worthington Cup. And to not lose a game
all season. Every year, the manager always says: 'We want to go through the whole
season without losing a game.' That would be great this year. It might be his last
year but I don't think he has mellowed one bit. Even when he finishes, he won't be
taking his foot off any pedals!

He's got an aura about him. When he walks into a room, people take notice.I've grown
up with it and plenty of others around here have, too. We've got the ultimate respect
for him. He's been exactly what any player would need - someone you can look up to.

He's told me when I've done done things wrong and when I've done things right. More
than that, he's given me the confidence to become the player I am."

---------------------------------
[12] Wenger Arse talks continue
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'Arsenal chiefs were last night locked in talks with Arsene Wenger in a desperate bid
to keep him at Highbury. The Gunners' manager rejected their latest pounds 8million
offer on Sunday and was involved in day-long negotiations yesterday to try to resolve
his future.

The club fear he will walk out next summer when his contract ends and have mounted a
determined attempt to convince him to sign an extension.

As revealed by Mirror Sport on Saturday, they set Wenger a deadline of Sunday to agree
a new deal or admit to chairman Peter Hill-Wood and his deputy David Dein he will
leave next year. But Wenger let the deadline pass without any agreement, sparking
yesterday's crisis meeting.'

---------------------------------
[11] Norway name squad
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
for the friendly with Turkey. No Ronny Johnsen but Ole in.

Norway coach Nils Johan Semb:

"I want to wait and see how Ronny does at Manchester United".

---------------------------------
[10] El Til on United's season
---------------------------------
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee:
Terry Venables:

"It was a very calculated spend. Roy Keane and a few others had said publicly that
United needed to buy more top-quality players and Sir Alex has gone and bought
champions. Now he's removed the players' excuses. He can say 'we have got them now,
what are you going to do?'

We have attempted to go against them in tipping in past seasons and been wrong. United
will be the team to catch no doubt about it. They have players with the relentless
motivation to win and win and win and they have won it again and again. It is what
everyone else is trying to get - if they could bottle it and sell it there would be no
need for merchandise."

[9] R.Boys hit back at United
Posted Thursday, August 9, 2001 by bar-knee: