---------------------------------
[29] Keano on international week and Mickeys
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think the internationals this week will top up our fitness nicely. Liverpool
finished the end of last season fantastically well. Of course they will be one of our
challengers but we knew that."

---------------------------------
[28] Keano confident
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"No doubt Liverpool will be happy with the win, and let's not take anything away from
them, but we won't be losing any sleep over it. We were happy with the second half of
the game but the game is 90 minutes long. We gave ourselves a mountain to climb. We
have lost the last three Charity Shields but gone on to do fairly well. The Charity
Shield came a week early regarding fitness. We did a long trip to the Far East and
that took a little bit out of us. But we've had a week or two back in Manchester and
fitness wise we were running strongly towards the end. We picked up no injuries and
lads are looking fairly sharp. Certainly they were late on."

---------------------------------
[27] Just days left to register your team!
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
For those of you interested in joining the Football Fantasy League for this coming
season, a Red News League is now available at www.cyki.com.

And free too! Once you have entered your team, simply click on My Leagues and in the
Join box, type the following (might be easier to cut and paste).

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[26] Scouser on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sami Hyypia:

"There's no question he's a fine player and he scored a lot of goals in Dutch
football. I'm convinced he can make the change into the English football and I believe
he has the quality to be even the top scorer in the Premiership next season. I've
played a few times against Ruud in Holland, it's always difficult because he's looking
for that through ball down the middle and he's very good in and around the area. He's
a good finisher, with pace and he's a big man too. He's hard to contain and he's
always trying to use his body to turn you. He'll get plenty of goals."

---------------------------------
[25] Fergie in the clear
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
FA spokesman Paul Newman:

"This is a matter which has to be dealt with under Fifa regulations and not by the FA
as Fifa have jurisdiction over international transfers. It is up to the Dutch FA to
raise the issue with Fifa on behalf of the club if they feel it is appropriate."

---------------------------------
[24] Greening spouts off again
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I can understand Andy Cole's point of view. It will probably be even harder for him
because he's 30 soon. For someone playing week-in, week-out it would be so tough - but
I was living in hope of breaking into the team. I tried it for three years but in the
end I decided I had to go, especially when they bought new players. As a kid I
supported United. It was a dream come true to play for them. And I don't regret my
time there because I have learnt a lot from training and playing with the best players
in the world and the way they go about things."

---------------------------------
[23] Becks on Saint Michael
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
of Owen, or so the press would have you believe.

"We all know that Michael's a world-class player and he's started off the season
really well. Hopefully it can continue for England and when someone like that is on
form like he is, then it can only be good for us. I didn't enjoy watching him score in
Cardiff, although it would certainly be handy if he did it against Germany. I would
definitely admire that."

---------------------------------
[22] Becks on Ingurland
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"You have certain goals and one of mine is to reach the World Cup finals. Especially
being the England captain, that would be amazing for me. There are a lot more games to
come yet and we have not yet started the Premiership season, but we know what is
waiting at the end of the season for us if we perform well for England. You always
want England to do well but it's different when you're England captain. You feel more
responsibility for results and what goes on when you're on the pitch. We have to carry
on performing as we have been but not get carried away. The big one is coming up in
Munich."

---------------------------------
[21] massive ban
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
city and Millwall have agreed to ban each other's fans from travelling to the away
games at either of the Den and Maine Road.

---------------------------------
[20] Butt out of England game
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
Along with Emile Heskey.

---------------------------------
[19] More from Becks on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Andy Cole definitely has a major role to play with Manchester United. He has proved
he is a world-class player and this will be a massive season for everyone at the club.
Everyone at United knows the manager has signed a couple of  great players in Van
Nistelrooy and Juan Veron. But we all have to compete for our places at United. I know
 that and so does Andy Cole. If you don't perform to the  required level, there are
always other players waiting to take your place in the team.

We're a massive club"

(wah-hey)

"...and the manager has been signing world-class players for the last 10 years. You
always think you're not going to get into the side. But then the boss sells someone
and things fall into place. It's just a case of being very patient."

---------------------------------
[18] Villa allocation latest
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
This just in from Paddy Harverson to Red News

'People from our ticket office have spoken to Aston Villa about this season's reduced
allocation. The situation is that our allocation is 2,828, down from 2,964 last season
(the full capacity of their segregated away section) and below the 3,000 required by
league rules.

Villa's safety director told us that the allocation is smaller than last season
because of his decision to remove seats at the end of each row to make the gangway
areas wider. He wanted to widen the gangways because he said the habit of United fans
standing during games at Villa Park had created a safety risk. Standing in seated
areas is one thing he did not want to make a major issue of, he said, but standing in
the gangways was a serious safety risk that had to be tackled.

He said he wanted to avoid a punitive large-scale reduction in the ticket allocation,
and felt the removal of seats and the subsequent widening of gangways was the most
sensible way to tackle the problem.

The reduction in seats is obviously costing Villa money, but as he is the club
official with his name on the safety certificate (and, therefore, personally
responsible if anything goes wrong), Villa's safety officer said he had to do
something this season about people standing in the gangways.

He gave no indication as to whether this would be a permament arrangement for all
future United visits to Villa Park.'

Strange this as the Villa safety officer was one of the few people who complimented
United fans in the infamous Utd end of season safety review which the Mail recently
went to town with.

---------------------------------
[17] Stam hits it to the Nevilles
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We call the Nevilles 'busy c***s' for their endless grumbling about everything in
general and nothing in particular. They never stop"

Giggs and Butt: "They are always the Peter Pans always playing the kinds of jokes most
people left behind at school"

---------------------------------
[16] More from Stam
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Mirror

'DAVID Beckham may not be the brightest spark but at least he isn't as "stupid" on the
pitch as Arsenal's Patrick Vieira, says Jaap Stam. The big Dutchman pulls no no
punches with his opinion of French midfielder Vieira, but leaps to the defence of Old
Trafford team mate Beckham.

"People say David is thick, and I admit he'll never be asked to take a turn in the
Mastermind chair," said Stam.

"But I doubt I'd be wanted in there either. David's not thick, he's just a normal guy
having to put up with a load of s*** thrown at him by people who don't even know him.
I'm thinking about those mindless thugs who hurl abuse at him from the stands.
Spiteful songs about how they hope his son catches Aids and his wife's sexual
preferences.

"I hope anyone who has been stupid enough to sing those things feels terrible. I'd
love to see them stand face to face with David and then shout their filth."

Stam's no holds-barred attack on Highbury hero Vieira is certain to fuel the already
bitter rivalry between United and Arsenal. He says: "Patrick does stupid things. He is
a great player but he ruins his game by picking up too many cards for stupid little
things. There's always an elbow here or a sly kick here, and when you look at him it's
easy to see when the red mist is about to descend. I know Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger
has moaned that opposing players are always out to wind him up, but that's football.
You just have to get on with it."

Stam also takes issue with Vieira's claim that referees pick on him. He said: "His
whole style involves playing on the edge, and if you play like that you can expect to
get on the wrong side of a referee every now and then."

---------------------------------
[15] Fergie refuses to speak to the Mirror
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
When asked for a comment:

"What do you want? I've got nothing to say."

Hopefully the players will look at giving interviews to the fanzines for a chance
instead of tabloids willing to stitch them up at every opportunity...

---------------------------------
[14] More from the Stam serialisation
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
Remember you can order a copy of Stam's book by clicking on the Amazon link on the
right of the news, with a 30% off offer for Red News readers.

>From the Mirror

'MANCHESTER United's Jaap Stam has told how the team were bitterly upset by the FA Cup
pullout that rocked the football world. He accuses the game's bosses of virtually
"holding a gun" to United's head to make them play instead in a prestige new
tournament in Brazil.

The Dutch star says: "People all over the place were saying that we were 'killing the
FA Cup' and those words really hurt us.

"To a man we wanted to stay and play, but the board made a decision and that was that.
Whether we liked it or not, we had to be professional and do what we were told. It was
so hard to take, but we just had to accept it."

Defender Stam, 29, tells the full story of the Cup bust-up that triggered a  massive
Mirror campaign in his autobiography, Head-to-Head, out next week.

nited - then holders of the best-loved knockout trophy in soccer - withdrew from the
competition in 2000 because it clashed with the inaugural FIFA Club World
Championship.

They didn't make the last four and the January trip to Brazil proved a disaster.'

(well not really, what did we win a few months later?)

'Now, for the first time, Stam reveals the behind-the-scenes heartbreak  at the snub
to the FA Cup in favour of a "joke tournament" on the otherside of the world.

It was suggested that United's participation in the event would bolster England's
ill-fated bid to host the 2006 World Cup.

Stam says: "The FA Cup is a wonderful competition to play in, and as holders we had a
really strong desire to defend our crown. I love the FA  Cup, the history, the glamour
and driving up to Wembley on the big day knowing the focus is on you. Who wouldn't?
That's why it was really painful when people started saying we had betrayed football
by pulling out, particularly as none of the players had a say in the final decision.
The Mirror launched a campaign to stop us from pulling out and it seemed that everyone
wanted us to stay and play. We were portrayed as the greedy boys from up north who
cared little for football, but passionately for our bank accounts.

It was claimed that, at the first whiff of a new market, the club had set off to
exploit it like a money-grabbing ogre. We were being pilloried from all sides." Stam
describes how United boss Sir Alex Ferguson broke the news of the pullout in November
1999.

He says: "We couldn't believe what we were hearing. The death knell for our FA Cup
hopes came in a heart-to-heart meeting with the manager. We were called into a room at
the training ground and sat down to face a glum-looking Fergie. Clearly, he found it
difficult to break the news because he knew how keen we were to retain the trophy.

"Fergie just said, 'I'm sorry, guys...it's just not possible to do both and if we
snubbed the offer to go to Brazil, it would make things really tricky for us. So we've
had to bite the bullet and pull out of the FA Cup. I know how much the Cup means to
all of us, but there's nothing we can do'."

Stam adds: "The gaffer didn't need to spell out the facts to us. It was impossible for
us to play in both and, as the FA had all but put a PR gun to United's head, we were
off to Brazil."

The 6ft 3ins defender adds that if the FA Cup is suffering a "malaise", it isn't just
down to United.

Clubs are more concerned with securing a place in the European Champions' League,
which is decided by Premiership position. Stam points to the example of Liverpool
manager Gerard Houllier last season.

"His team were chasing three trophies, including the FA Cup, yet he claimed winning
the treble would be considered a failure in his eyes if Liverpool failed to book a
Champions' League place."

Recalling the Brazil trip, Stam admits that sunshine-holiday style pictures of the
players did nothing to help their cause back home. He says: "We were prepared for the
worst and the mass of photographers didn't disappoint in conjuring up a picture to
fool the readers in England.'

(presumably that means readers of the Mirror being fooled....by whom then?)

"Dwight Yorke was pictured lying face down in the sand, while some of
the guys sat in the pool in the background. It was the perfect illustration of the
'relaxing' time we were having out there."

Stam concludes: "It was a tough trip given all the controversy surrounding it. In the
end, it was a disappointing tournament that failed to live up to my expectations."

---------------------------------
[13] Frank De Boer on Scholes
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
"The English player I most admire is Scholes. For me, he is the most complete
footballer I have seen in a long time and in many ways he reminds me of Cruyff. Like
Cruyff, Scholes always seems to be in the right place at the right time and he scores
important goals at crucial times."

---------------------------------
[12] Change of tune
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Mirror's web site covers the story on this site that Becks is keen to stay at
United. Strange that as in the early editions of the paper, Harry Harris has yet
another 'exclusive' that Inter and AC Milan will 'make formal moves' and that it is
'vital new deals are finalised before the Premiership kicks off this weekend'.

There will be a slight delay Harry, but do you believe this nonsense you write? As on
the pulse as ever...

---------------------------------
[11] The Mirror spouts off again
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee:
Unbelievably we're the target for an Editorial again.

'SIR Alex Ferguson is off the hook again. No one will take on the Manchester United
boss even though he clearly broke FA and FIFA rules by illegally meeting defender Jaap
Stam in secret to tempt him to Old Trafford.

The Dutch defender openly admits the meeting took place. But his former club, PSV
Eindhoven, is not prepared to make an official complaint. How convenient for the
football authorities. If there's no complaint, they can get away with doing nothing.

It's proof yet again that the power of rich clubs like United will protect them when
they ride roughshod over the rules. But it's the game which suffers.'

(now remind me about those share accusations that the Mirror was involved in a year
ago?)

[10] We get thanks at last
Posted Tuesday, August 14, 2001 by bar-knee: