---------------------------------
[13] Yonner tickets still available
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
Blackburn Rovers v Manchester United
Ewood Park, Wednesday 22 August 2001, kick off 8pm.
(NB this is a Sky Premiership Plus Pay Per View game).

Further to the deadline of Monday 30th July all applications received have been
processed and approximately 1,300 tickets remain priced £20 adults £12 over 65s and £8
under 16s. Season Ticket Holders Only can purchase a ticket from the Ticket Office on
production of voucher 21 from this seasons book on Monday 6th August from 9am until
5pm (subject to availability).

DUE TO THE LIMITED NUMBER OF TICKETS AVAILABLE WE REGRET THAT NO POSTAL APPLICATIONS
CAN BE ACCEPTED.

---------------------------------
[12] Villa Away details
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
Aston Villa v Manchester United
Villa Park, Sunday 26 August 2001, kick off 2pm.
(Please note this fixture has been rearranged from Saturday 25th August and is a Sky
Premiership Plus Pay Per View game).

We will receive an overall allocation of approximately 2,700 tickets the majority of
which are priced £20 adults and £10 under 16s /over 65s, however 146 tickets are
priced £18 adults and £9 under 16s/over 65s. Postal applications only are now being
accepted from Season Ticket Holders, on production of voucher 22 (from this seasons
book, duly completed), sae and the following 8 match vouchers properly affixed to last
seasons official voucher sheet (2000/2001): 31 (RSC Anderlecht) 32 (PSV Eindhoven) 33
(Dynamo Kiev) 34 (Panathinaikos) 35 (Valencia) 36 (Sturm Graz) 37 (West Ham United) 38
(Bayern Munich).

Private Box/Exec Suite and Club Class Members can also apply in the usual manner
quoting their facilities held.

All applications need to be received in the Ticket Office no later than 5pm on Friday
10th August. Please note, in the event of being oversubscribed a postal ballot will be
held to determine successful applicants.

---------------------------------
[11] Wilson Fustrated
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
"It has been frustrating watching the likes of Alan Smith (Leeds) and Kieron Dyer
(Newcastle) making their mark on the England set-up."

---------------------------------
[10] Do you think I'm sexy?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
As the Sun reckons Giggsy is after Rod Stewarts ex Rachel Hunter.

A typical get Utd in the news story

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie on The Ginger Prince
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
"The players recognize Paul's talent because they see it all the time.
"He is a great player to have in your team. Paul is so unassuming and he's popular
among the players because he goes about his business without any frills.
"He goes into training quietly and goes out quietly. He does his training and performs
on the football field.

---------------------------------
[8] Scholesy tops Official Mag poll
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
Ahead of Fab and Gary Nev

---------------------------------
[7] Capello know's the score
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
Nothing to do with wanting a job though?

'Manchester will be the best team in Europe because they have signed two of the best
players in the world, Juan Veron and Ruud van Nistelrooy.

'Veron is one of the best midfielders in the world and Van Nistelrooy is an excellent
striker, someone who had options to go to many clubs in Europe.'

---------------------------------
[6] Why Crozier is desperate
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
Only 5 million people watched the Mickeys rob the Arse, compared to 13 million who
watched our double double winning efforts in 1996

The words bubble and bursting come to mind

---------------------------------
[5] Crozier tries to buy back the FA Cup's magic
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
As he talks about the £30 million prize money:

"Of course, we want to enhance the Cup. A club that wins the competition can expect to
walk away with £4m and that’s a substantial amount even to Manchester United."

---------------------------------
[4] Worth every penny
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
>From the Mirror:

MANCHESTER United's star names will bank an incredible pounds 250,000-a-man pay day
for winning the Champions League.

They have been told they will be handed ALL of the prize money from the Final if they
can win the European Cup.

United are desperate to reclaim the magnificent trophy in Sir Alex Ferguson's final
year.

They would each bank more than pounds 400,000 in bonuses alone if they could repeat
their incredible Treble winning success.

But the club have told skipper Roy Keane and players representative Gary Neville that
the first team squad will be given all of the prize money from the Final.

They received around pounds 160,000-a-man to win the Treble in 1999 but the prize pot
has increased substantially since then.

UEFA will hand out around half a million to the winners of this year's European Cup
and that will go directly to the players.

Every member of the 20 man squad will receive a slice of the prize fund - even if they
don't actually play.

---------------------------------
[3] Jaap tries the mind games on the Rent Boys
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
As he says about Zenden:

"It is a great signing for Chelsea and when you look at the other players they have
signed this summer, you have to say they are looking like serious title challengers.

"That's if they can mould a group of players who on paper look very impressive.

"Buying quality players is never a guarantee of success in football but if Ranieri can
get his squad to gel, I can see Chelsea being a big threat to any side in the
Premiership.

"Continuity has been a big part of our success in recent seasons.

"We haven't bought large numbers of new players each summer, unlike teams such as
Arsenal and Chelsea."

---------------------------------
[2] Wenger given ultimatum
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
No, it's not some sort of torture device, according to the Mirror, he's been given 24
hours to sign  new contract or he'll have to give his woggle back. The Mirror
naturally use this to claim that this means he's coming to us next season AND bringing
Vierra with him.

---------------------------------
[1] Greening has a go
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, August 4, 2001 by tb:
"Signing Ruud van Nistelrooy and Juan Veron was confirmation for me that youngsters at
United are rarely given the same opportunity as players were in the past.

"The club is more likely to spend millions rather than give fringe players the time to
establish themselves.

"I have a Champions League winner's medal after sitting on the bench when we beat
Bayern.

"But I didn't play a single minute of European football that season. I felt a bit of a
fraud when I got the medal."

---------------------------------
[36] Wrexham boss on our game tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Wrexham's Brian Flynn:

"Both sides will be using it as a vital part of pre-season preparation. We face Oldham
next week and will be giving the full squad their chance."

---------------------------------
[35] Giggs brother jailed
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From MEN

'RHODRI Giggs was jailed for nine months today after hitting a man on
the head with a bottle outside a city centre nightclub.
In court today his barrister said he had paid the price for having a
famous brother.

Hugh McKee said: ''When he is out and about in Manchester he is
recognised by Manchester City fans.''

Giggs, 24, a coach at Wrexham and a non-League footballer, admitted
assault causing bodily harm at the city's crown court.

His friend, claims investigator Christopher Doyle, 24, from Worsley,
was jailed for 15 months for unlawful wounding.

Row

The offences followed a ''heated'' row about football inside the
Ampersand club.

Two men were attacked after leaving at about 3am, in June last year.

Judge Anthony Ensor, a keen soccer fan told Giggs and
Doyle: ''Persons visiting the city are entitled to expect to enjoy a
night out in safety, free from thuggery.

''This type of behaviour does great harm to the reputation of this
city. Imprisonment is the only appropriate punishment to demonstrate
the seriousness of your conduct.''

Giggs, of Canterbury Gardens, Salford admitted assaulting and causing
bodily harm to Colin Slamon.

Doyle, of Greenleach Lane, Worsley pleaded guilty to unlawfully
wounding Andrew Cartwright in the incident in Longworth Street,
Manchester.

Giggs' barrister told the court today that there had been good
natured banter inside the club between Giggs and Mr Cartwright which
had ''obviously turned sour''.'

---------------------------------
[34] Tomorrow's back pages?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From 365

'VICTORIA BECKHAM has told TV chat show host Jerry Springer that she
would not step in if her husband's boss Sir Alex Ferguson was
drowning.  The Spice Girls singer was asked what she would do if Sir Alex and  her
former bandmate Geri Halliwell were both drowning and she could  only save one of
them. She replied: "Neither. I'd just sail off and  watch them both drown."

Though Ferguson initially praised Beckham's wife as "a lovely girl",
the pair fell out when the midfielder was sent home from training
after failing to turn up the day before because son Brooklyn was ill.
Ferguson at first accepted the excuse, then became enraged when he
saw newspaper photographs of Victoria shopping in London on the day
in question.

But Victoria sweetened the pill slightly by later telling
Springer: "I really am going to regret that, so I'll give you another
answer - I'll save them both."

---------------------------------
[33] What a surprise
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
PA story

'Liverpool must now face Finnish side Haka in the Champions League third qualifying
round after Maccabi Haifa of Israel were thrown out of the competition. Haifa fielded
an ineligible player, former Wimbledon player Walid Badir, in their 4-0 win over Haka
on Wednesday.

Badir had not completed a two-match suspension, and as punishment Uefa awarded the tie
to Haka 3-0 at a disciplinary hearing this afternoon. The Reds now face a trip to
Finalnd for the first leg of the tie. Haifa now have three days to appeal against the
decision. The offending player Badir left Wimbledon for Haifa a year ago for £250,000.'

---------------------------------
[32] Strange request from Red News
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
For an item for Red News we need - although we say this through gritted teeth - a
large sized jpeg picture of the Liverpool team squad, from either this season or last.
If anyone knows where to get one or can send one to us can they e.mail it to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[31] Greening and Wilson to go
Posted Friday, August 3, 2001 by bar-knee:
Both having talks/medical at Boro as we speak (or type).