---------------------------------
[25] Sourness on United
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Scholes. I don't know him, but  he appears to have a fantastic attitude. He doesn't
get involved in  daft things on or off the pitch, but he's an aggressive little
bugger.

You hope United have an off day, and that you have a very good day. I think Van
Nistelrooy will be outstanding for them. I tried to sign him when I  was at Benfica
and he was just a raw youngster at Heerenveen. He was  a big, strong boy, looked like
an English centre-forward, only more  mobile. I went to see him a couple of times, but
then I found out  that Benfica didn't have any money. He cost £5m at the time. Alex
Ferguson and I have a mutual friend, so I told him to tell Fergie to  go and buy this
player. But I don't think he passed the message on.

There's so much flair in that team that it doesn't matter  what strikers play for
them, they're still going to get a lot of  chances. You or I could play in United's
forward  line and end up in double figures."

---------------------------------
[24] Fab on Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I can see now after working with him why he is seen as a great man.  I don't want to
talk about what might happen after Sir Alex has  retired but I will be here whatever.
I agree with the manager. Chelsea have bought well and could be our main rivals".

---------------------------------
[23] Becks wants to stay for life at United
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I know now that I want to finish my career at Manchester United. My first season for
United was perfect, 150 per cent perfect in  fact as far as I was concerned. It
couldn't have gone much better. It was everything I had hoped it would be and more. I
have been  playing first team football for 10 years now and I have always  enjoyed
myself but never more so than last season. I wouldn't criticise any of the other clubs
I have played with. I  enjoyed my time at Toulouse, Marseille and Monaco in France but
 Manchester United is the club I want to be at. I've loved it.

My contract runs for another five years when I will be 35 and I  certainly want to
stay until then. I don't tend to look too far  forward because you never know what
life brings but from the  experiences I have had at United in the last year I can't
see beyond
playing for them. It has been a fantastic experience and I know the years ahead are
going to be full of more experiences like it and more success. I  wouldn't want to be
anywhere else."

---------------------------------
[22] Nice little story
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From a snout

'A mate was in the players lounge the other night at Ryan's testimonial.  He said when
Beckham got the watch that Ryan had given people for the testimonial he said

"Great Giggsy - thanks, another watch"

---------------------------------
[21] Giggs speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Quit Old Trafford? I don't think so...

It never ceases to amuse me when I do an interview to see how what  I've said is
interpreted by the media in whatever way they want. Last  week was no exception and I
had to smile when I saw a few headlines  claiming I had been poised to quit Old
Trafford at the end of last  season and head off into the sunset with a European club.

Now I'm not saying that, in the past, I haven't given any thought to  move abroad. I
think any player with a realistic option of playing  outside their native country
would have to be mad not to give the  idea some consideration, but I can say now it's
never been close to  happening. Of course, there have been approaches from foreign
clubs but I was never seriously tempted.

I did say there was a time during the summer when it crossed my mind.  You can't spend
10 years as a professional footballer and not think  about the future, but my heart
has always been at Old Trafford.

If anything, it was earlier in my career when I first broke into the  United first
team that the thought of playing abroad was a more  realistic prospect. That was in
the days when the Italian league was  the place to be and Italian sides reigned
supreme in European competitions.

But so much has changed. For a start, no one nation is dominating the Champions League
or Uefa Cup. Of course, Spanish sides have done very well recently but the European
Cup, for example, has been won by a German, Spanish, and English side in the last
three years. Being competitive in Europe these days is all about the club you're at
rather than the country you play in.

So why would I want to leave United when we have as much chance as any other team
anywhere in Europe in the Champions League? It just wouldn't make sense.

And speaking of funny stories in the press, I'd just like to reassure all the sailors
of the Mediterranean that they're safe despite reportsI'm going to be buying a yacht
in Monaco! I've no idea where that one came from but, like I said, that's the British
press for you."

---------------------------------
[20] Phil Nev on Bury
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It would be a disaster for the area if Bury were to lose its  football club. I would
plead with all the fans going tonight to turn up again and  not just come out for
United's visit. I urge United fans as well in  Bury to keep going to Gigg Lane like
myself and Gary did when we were  kids.  Local kids should support the local team. A
lot of young fans these  days obviously want to watch Manchester United, probably more
so than  ever before. That, of course, means that Bury's crowds have suffered.  But
not everybody can get into Old Trafford. United sell out every  match and I would urge
United fans in Bury to go and watch the  Shakers if they can't get a ticket to see
United.

Gary and I used to do that when we couldn't get to Old Trafford. We  watched Bury
regularly. I was going in the Martin Dobson era and at  the time Sammy McIlroy was one
of my favourites. The club are very close to my heart and my family. After Manchester
United they are mine and Gary's club. We've got very close  connections. My dad used
to be commercial manager and he know  organises fund-raising functions and events for
them, my mum works at  Gigg Lane, my nan helps her with the catering on match days and
my  grandad works the car park.  I'd hate to see the club go to the wall. It's very
sad to see the  problems they have. It's very difficult for clubs like them to
survive nowadays.  But they are still vital in football. There is good bond between
United and Bury and this match is the least we can do."

---------------------------------
[19] Season ticket sales
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the MEN

'IT's boom time for Manchester football. The Blues and Reds have sold an amazing
70,000 season tickets between  them, putting the city at the forefront of soccer's new
golden age.

Kevin Keegan-mania has helped offset the misery of City's relegation  from the
Premiership, as the ticket office has been inundated by  supporters eager to secure a
seat for the coming season.

There are fewer than 1,000 of the 24,000 tickets still available, but  it is
anticipated that these remaining books will be sold within the  next few days,
creating a new club record.

United, meanwhile, continue to have eager fans desperate to get their  hands on one of
their 46,000 season tickets which are all currently  sold out. With Old Trafford's
67,000-plus capacity, it leaves 17,000 tickets  sold on a match day basis and Reds'
fans are clamouring for those.

``There is no doubt football is a popular as ever in Manchester
whether you are Red or Blue,'' says United's director of  communications Paddy
Harverson.

``In our case season ticket renewals are as strong as ever. They are  like precious
gold and nobody is giving them up. There is a lot of  excitement ahead of the season
because of our two new signings, Ruud  van Nistelrooy and Juan Sebastian Veron and
also because it is Sir  Alex Ferguson's final year as manager.''

Maine Road chairman, David Bernstein could not hide his delight at
the way the close-season has gone. He also believes that Keegan's arrival and the
memories of great days  against Gillingham and Blackburn Rovers in recent seasons are
still  fresh in the minds. ``It's absolutely wonderful,'' the chairman  beamed.

``Our fans continue to give the most wonderful support and I cannot
praise them enough.''

He maintained City will always remain a club that cater for fans who
cannot hold season tickets, either due to personal financial problems  or work
commitments. And this policy will be upheld when the Blues move to the new Stadium  in
Eastlands at the beginning of the 2003-2004 season.

Season ticket sales at the region's clubs
AS has been the case at Maine Road, clubs all over the North-west  have experienced a
boom in season ticket sales, with many set for  record years.

Manchester City - expected to sell all 24,000 tickets. Price range
£260-£440.
Manchester United - sold all 46,000 tickets. £342-£492
Stockport County - for sale: 3,070, sold 2,300. £84-£336
Bolton Wanderers - for sale: 23,800, sold 15,000. £133-£595
Rochdale - unlimited amount for sale, sold 900 (a record) £90-£220
Crewe Alexandra - sold in excess of 4,000 tickets. £50-£125
Oldham - sold 2,350, surpassing last year 2,250. £95-£280
Blackburn - sold all 16,000 tickets. £130-£445.
Macclesfield - unlimited amount for sale, sold 550. £124-£290
Bury - for sale: 1,300, sold 800. £75-£340
Wigan - unlimited amount for sale, sold 2,200. £30-£240.

---------------------------------
[18] Bury on tonight's game
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Bury assistant player boss Steve Redmond:

"My days at the top have long since gone. So, it's great to have this chance at my age
to test myself against  the big stars of today. If I was like some of the young lads
we have in our squad then to  be honest I would be as nervous as hell. But for me it
will be no different to playing the likes of Dalglish  and Rush, Gary Lineker or Mark
Hughes. However, United are different class for the success they've had  over the last
10 years. And as a Liverpool fan it breaks my heart to  say it."

Bury player Sam Collins:

"They are great players but I've never been frightened of playing  against anyone. And
you can only learn when you're  up against the best."

---------------------------------
[17] We are the easy target again
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
When are United fans going to stop being blamed for everything - next they will have
us down for the assasination of JFK. Below a piece in the Mail which has led Talksport
to have a ridiculous discussion on should all of our fans be banned from away games.
Give it a rest guys and lose the ABUism.

'EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United's travelling fans have been branded
violent and ill-disciplined in a leaked in-house survey compiled by
the Premiership champions. Fans have been criticised away from Old Trafford. It
contains first-hand reports from safety officers at venues around  the country that
played host to United last season.

An official from Coventry City described their fans as 'the worst I  have ever
experienced', while his counterpart at Bradford called  them 'appalling'.'

The report also reveals how a minibus carrying Liverpool supporters
to Old Trafford last December was found to contain an arsenal of
weapons including Stanley knives, a distress flare, a knuckleduster
and CS gas.'

(so that's our fault?)

'The document is part of an attempt to monitor supporters in order to
increase safety at home and away matches.  But to the public at large and the Football
Association, it will be a  reminder that a curse the game thought it was rid of has
not yet gone  away.

For example, United's own Special Project Unit had to deal with  serious disorder
between Arsenal and Tottenham fans prior to their FA  Cup semi-final at Old Trafford
last season while already this summer,  pre-season games at Millwall and Shrewsbury
have been marred by  fighting.'

(and that's also our fault?)

'Mark Steels, of the National Criminal Intelligence Service,  said: 'What people see
when they visit grounds and when they watch  the game on TV does not match up with
what we see and put in our  match order reports. We have never said the hooligan
problem has gone  away. We have never said it has been cured.'

With England facing a World Cup qualifier in Germany on September 1  and hoping to
travel to Japan and South Korea for next summer's  Finals, the behaviour of supporters
will again come under intense  scrutiny.

Malcolm Clarke, chairman of the Football Supporters' Association,
said: 'The problem is nowhere near as bad as it was in the 1970s and  1980s, when
gangs were rampaging down the streets.

'But every club has a minority that likes to cause trouble. I don't  think it's a
football problem. It's primarily an alcohol-related  problem.'

At United's match against Coventry on November 4, the Highfield Road
safety official reported: 'These are the worst set of away supporters  I have ever
experienced. All stood, continually blocked gangways. Lot  had drunk - too much.
Anti-steward and police. Not very nice people.'

The following month at Charlton Athletic, two stewards were taken to  hospital after
being assaulted and the report said: 'Many fans were  drunk and abusive. Many fans
stood throughout.'

Police made 14 arrests at Bradford in January and an official revealed: 'Appalling.
All stood, but that is expected these days.  However, there was a large criminal
element who targeted Bradford  supporters all afternoon. This was organised.
Unfortunately in this match, we returned to the  bad old days.'

In April it was Middlesbrough 's turn, with eyewitness accounts  reporting: 'Stewards
were abused and threatened.'

A fortnight later at Southampton, four arrests were made and the  travelling fans were
described as: 'Rather rowdy and prepared to  fight. Steward punched in face.'

The report - entitled 'Annual Post Season Safety Report 2000-2001' -  has been
compiled as part of United's continuing problem with a  minority of supporters who
continue to stand up at Old Trafford  matches.'

NB. Standing has nothing to do with trouble. Any fool will tell you that. But the anti
standing lobby will sink to any depths to stop the path of progress...

Even the club's own conclusions are critical, with praise of home
supporters tempered by criticism of many who represent United away
from Old Trafford.

'Credit must be shared with the vast majority of home and away
supporters whose good conduct is a vital ingredient in the overall
matchday event,' reads the report.

'That cannot be said for a substantial number of our supporters who
travel to away matches.'

A spokesman for the Independent Manchester United Supporters

Association said: 'We don't agree that Manchester United fans'
behaviour away from home is any worse than any other clubs.

'There are obviously isolated incidents but IMUSA gets complaints
about over-enthusiastic stewards after every away game United play.'

---------------------------------
[16] United defend...United fans
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova - although have to say some recall a different set of events at those
>high profile games than the one stated by Paddy...

'Manchester United insist that the vast majority of their supporters are "extremely
well behaved" - home and away. The Premiership champions are angry at suggestions the
fans are thugs especially on the road.

"The vast majority are extremely well behaved home and away. However as at all other
clubs we do sometimes have a problem with a tiny minority who misbehave," said
spokesman Paddy Harverson.

"Manchester United has never said hooliganism has been completely eradicated but there
is no doubt the behaviour of fans today is far better than it was 10 or 20 years ago."

The club compile a post-season report every year with the verdicts from safety
officers at venues across the country that played host to United.

Coventry and Bradford stated they had huge problems with the travelling support but
Harverson said: "Out of 22 games, seven of those were seriously critical. The other 15
were virtually trouble-free.

"Out of 52,270 supporters who travelled, only 87 fans were arrested, which is 0.16%,
and 86 ejected. That is a tiny proportion."

Harverson points out that high-profile away matches against Manchester City, Arsenal,
Leeds and Liverpool passed off almost without incident.

He said: "There were no arrests at Man City and the comment was it was 'relatively
trouble free'. At Arsenal there were no arrests and there were 'no real problems'.
There were three arrests at Leeds but the supporters were said to be 'generally well
behaved'. At Liverpool there were no arrests and 'the event went very well'. In home
games we had over two million fans and the number of arrests were 130. That's 0.0065%.
A number of those arrests were for ticket touting rather than violent conduct. It is a
remarkable record of behaviour considering the number of people attending. Football is
now fantastically safe for a number of people and our figures back it up. We've not
had a single serious incident."

---------------------------------
[15] Wenger sweet talk to Vieira
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Giving him the vice captaincy

Wenger: "He has got that job."

---------------------------------
[14] Houllier on Heysel ban
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Returning to the European Cup means pride and a feeling of growing fulfilment. This
club took a major blow after what happened at Heysel and the resulting ban."

And why was there a ban in the first place?

---------------------------------
[13] Becks on Posh's knowledge of offside
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"She's been asked about it a few times in interviews and I don't think she knows about
it at all."

Along with 20 refs.

---------------------------------
[12] Brooklyn better than his Dad?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
So says Becks

"I must admit it would be nice if he grows up to be an international footballer.He's
really good. He's better than I was at his age - my mum says he is anyway. It'll be
interesting to see how it turns out. I'd love him to go into football. But as long as
he is happy, I'm happy. It's entirely up to him, when he grows up, what he wants to
do. It's pretty amazing for a little boy of his age to kick the ball the way he does,
so it must be the genes in some way. He's always kicked a ball from an early age. Even
when he had loads of toys, he's always gone for the football first.

Brooklyn and I have kickabouts in the garden all the time. He started to kick the ball
around in the new house over the summer and he was hitting things - but he is only a
little boy so we tell him to go outside and play and I go with him.

I love him. If hecame from playgroup and said 'Dad, I want a Mohican' I'd say 'great!
- I'll have one with you, again'."

---------------------------------
[11] Fergie on rivals
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It is going to be a lot closer than last year. We had effectively won it by New
Year's Day. But I don't think that will happen this year, even though we've still got
a good chance of winning the league again. We have improved the squad and have a
challenge in the dressing room. Players have reached maturity, they've got the
experience so we have a good chance. I think the danger this year will be Chelsea,
with their signing of Petit you can see them shaping their side differently.

They've got a lot of pace in the side, with Jesper Gronkjaer and Boudewijn Zenden. The
counter-attack will be a powerful option for them with that much pace up front with
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink - and Petit will be a major signing for them.

Of course, we know the rivalry between ourselves and Liverpool means we have got to be
above them and that will be a big challenge. Arsenal have been one of our main
challengers for the last decade and you cannot dismiss them either. Leeds have a young
squad, very determined, very difficult to play  against. They will be there, too. They
got off to a bad start last season, but finished strongly. They will be optimistic
that, with a good start, they can do even better.

The championship will be about five teams, no question. It is a great thing for us. We
want another four teams to be right in there all challenging each other. We don't want
just one team to come out of the pack against us."

---------------------------------
[10] Over exaggerated Barthez story?
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From the Mirror

'MANCHESTER United star Fabien Barthez is battling a mystery skin condition. The
world's top goalkeeper, 29, has been forced to protect his famous hands with bandages
to ease the discomfort. He was clearly suffering yesterday, as he attended a coaching
school for children in Manchester. The Frenchman has tried to keep the affliction
secret throughout his career in the top flight and said: "It is nothing, nothing
serious."

Barthez arrived from training with the Premiership champions, just five days before
the Charity Shield clash with Liverpool, with both hands heavily bandaged. He had
still been able to train despite the problem which flares up from time to time, but he
will be fit for the showpiece in Cardiff.

But it meant he was in pain for the practice session at the JJB Soccerdrome near The
Trafford Centre.  Barthez refused to pull out of the session and seemed happy fielding
shots from the kids.

He ran the soccer school for around 30 minutes and looked totally at
ease until he was asked to pose for pictures. The United hero obliged, but was wincing
in pain. Barthez is an intensely private individual and keeps his personal life as
private as possible.

Despite his obvious suffering, he has been able to stay at the top of the game. His
achievements include winning the World Cup, the European Championships and the
European Cup.'

---------------------------------
[9] Phil Neville speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Saturday demonstrated the full depth and strength of the Manchester  United's
first-team squad. Two games had been arranged by the club,  one to be played away at
Hereford and the other at Wrexham, both of
which were fundraising events for these lower division clubs.

Both squads that had been put out by the manager were packed full of
international players and players that would walk into any other
Premiership side in England. The competition for places in the
starting line-up for United was clear and having only a couple of
games left in pre-season training before our first game against
Fulham there are going to be many changes.

The two new lads, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Juan Sebastian Veron (or
Sabe as he likes to be called) have settled in unbelievably well and
apart from their footballing talent I think all the players are more
impressed by the way they've fitted in off the field. They join in
with the dressing room banter and act as if they've been at the club
for years."

(but we thought Veron didn't speak any English yet)

"The next game coming up for United on Wednesday against Bury is
probably the one I am most looking forward to. I think it is due to
the close connections I have at the club with both my mum and dad
working there and my nan and granddad helping out on match days, you
could say I have a soft spot for Bury Football Club, as it has been a
part of my life for 15 years.

The game is a sell-out for Bury, which is great, as all the money
raised from the game will hopefully help out with their `Save the
Shakers Appeal'. Alongside this I hope that everyone from Bury enjoys
the game and it encourages more support for the club in the
forthcoming season."

---------------------------------
[8] IMUSA fanzine piece for August
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
IMUSA

Tier Two Commandos Score Summer Success

During last season a small group of fans in Tier Two of the West Stand were determined
that the then new 'Singing End' would work, and called themselves the
TierTwoCommandos.  That initial group is now much larger, with membership beyond
West2, including Season Ticket LMTB and normal club members,and now goes under the
banner of the Vocal Fans Campaign (VFC).

The VFC is a separate entity from IMUSA, and, being focused on Old Trafford atmosphere
and Tier Two in particular has over the summer scored a number of successes.

* The club have agreed that we can register Vocal Fan Campaign members with the ticket
office so they can sell West2 tickets to that group of supporters, male and female who
would call themselves 'singers';

* During the close-season the VFC arranged relocation to West Tier 2 for almost 40
passionate singers from West1, North 1, 2, 3 & the South Stand. Season Ticket holders
relocating were able to retain their status, contrary to the cock-up made of the
original relocation plans last season.

* Isolated singers were moved into the same blocks, whilst groups of singers have been
strategically placed around Tier Two to encourage the whole stand to rock;

* The club agreed to fund the printing of a newsletter, distributed to all in Stretty2
at the Fulham game.  This told all in that stand about the VFC and what it intends to
do in future - the newsletter also included a handy songsheet so there could be no
excuses.

* The club have agreed to arrange for people to 'swap seats' in Tier Two should you so
wish during the current season with minimum disruption.  If you would like to move out
of Stretty2 we can help liase with the club for moves for season 2002-3.

If you class yourself as a singer then join the VFC, who will register you with the
ticket office.  When you are successful in the ballot, you should find you West Stand
Tier 2 tickets - Provided you have marked your ticket applications 'VFC Singer'.

 If you apply for match tickets on-line then type 'VFC Singer' in the Additional
Information Box.

This facility granted by the club means that up to 400 extra singers will take their
place on the Tier 2 Curva at every home match.

If you are interested in moving, send your details to the VFC and tell them where you
might want to move - NO COMMITMENT IS BEING MADE BY CONTACTING THE VFC AT THIS STAGE.

Join on-line at www.m-u-f-c.co.uk/users/tsj/vfc.

Or get a form at a Stretty2 noticeboard, at the top of the main exit stairs.  The only
qualification to join the VFC is to sing up for the team when you come to support
United, nothing more.
Also pinned to the Tier 2 noticeboards are IMUSA leaflets.  As ever we need your
continued support to take the fight beyond these significant victories for Tier Two.

To join IMUSA send a cheque for £5 (£10 overseas) for a twelve month membership to: PO
Box 69, Stretford, Manchester, M32 0UZ, or come along to a committee meeting and join
on the night.

Committee meetings are held the second Thursday in every month at O'Brien's in
Stretford (next to the Arndale) and are open to all members.

IMUSA
On the web at:  www.imusa.org

Email us at:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

---------------------------------
[7] Some web sites to look at
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Check out Keegan's Paul Calf tribute barnet in the MEN

(link:http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/content.cfm?story=116254)
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/sport/content.cfm?story=116254

Pictures of Eric in the beach footy tournament recently

(link:http://www.manufan.co.uk/beachsoccer/HydePark2001/010622.asp)
http://www.manufan.co.uk/beachsoccer/HydePark2001/010622.asp

And a top Red is putting
I'm putting together a sort of Ferguson Tribute Book, which all Reds can use to leave
a message of thanks to him through the website, Mufc News.

(link:http://mufcnews.tripod.com/fergie/tribute.htm)
http://mufcnews.tripod.com/fergie/tribute.htm

---------------------------------
[6] France friendly squad
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
France-Danemark, 15th august, Nantes

Barthez and Silvestre called up

Gardiens : Barthez (Manchester United), Ramé (Bordeaux)
Défenseurs : Candela (AS Roma), Lizarazu (Bayern Munich), Desailly
(Chelsea), Leboeuf (Marseille), Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Silvestre
(Manchester United), Thuram (Juventus)

Milieux de terrain : Micoud (Parme), Petit (Chelsea), Vieira
(Arsenal), Pires (Arsenal), Zidane (Real Madrid)

Attaquants : Henry (Arsenal), Marlet (Lyon), Trezeguet (Juventus),
Wiltord (Arsenal)

---------------------------------
[5] Beat the expected travel chaos
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From MEN - expected to bring chaos around OT on match day.

'Five ways to avoid M60 jams

MOTORWAY misery is set to continue for the next six months as the M60  repairs are
carried out, but there are ways of trying to avoid the
jams. If you use the motorway to commute into the city, you probably can't  go any
other way, but if you use it to avoid Manchester city centre  it is worth sitting down
with your A-to-Z to think out a new route.

Route One: For example, people living in Rochdale thinking of going  to Urmston would
probably be wise to use the A58, A664 and A576  instead of the M60. This trip should
take around 40 minutes in normal  traffic.

Route Two: The drive from Irlam to Bury, would usually take you  through the nightmare
junction, so by going via the A57, A575 and  A6053 the journey will be eased. Normally
the M60 route would take just a quarter of an hour. The non-motorway route takes
around twice that, but with five-mile tailbacks at peak times on the M60, this route
will be much quicker.

Route Three: Travelling from Sale to Radcliffe, drivers should go via  Salford using
the A56. Route 3. This 14-mile journey should take  around half an hour.

Route Four: If you were travelling from Stockport to Bolton, the  usual way to go
would be clockwise on the M60 past the Trafford  Centre and through the affected
Worsley junction. But for the next six months it could be wiser to go through the city
 on the A6. Normally the journey would take 27 minutes by the M60, but  going by the
non motorway route should add around 10 minutes to this time.

Alternatively, add extra miles but probably save time by going anti- clockwise round
the M60.

Route Five: Similarly, someone going from Altrincham to Middleton  should also
consider going anti-clockwise rather than clockwise. This route is just three miles
longer and the journey time is around  32 minutes.'

---------------------------------
[4] Kluivert on Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Looking enviously at the club he should have joined three years back when he had the
chance...

"Ruud van Nistlerooy is a really special player and I think him and I  play so well
together. Not many people know that Ruud and I were born  on exactly the same day -
1st July 1976. When we have played with each other it has been quite something. The
way we clicked was special for both of us - almost telepathic.  Normally you have to
play together a few times to get used to someone  you don't know. But with Ruud I
think we understood each other very  well immediately. It was a very good feeling and
that's the most  important thing - to have that good feeling.

I think he will be great for Manchester United. He is still young but
has everything. He is so strong on the ball and is also quick. I just  don't see how
he can fail at Manchester United. Their style of play  will suit him and I am sure
that he will score lots of goals.

I also think he will do well because it was always his dream to play
at Manchester United. When a player has that feeling for a club and  when they are
happy in themselves, then that can only be a good
thing. Although I haven't spoken to him since he signed, I will do  soon because I
know how excited he will be to play for Manchester  United and of course when you see
your friend fulfil his dream you
are always happy for him.

I also think that the injury he suffered will in a weird way make him
better equipped for playing at Manchester United. When you suffer an
injury as bad as his it always make you appreciate what it is to be a
professional footballer. He worked very, very hard to get back to
full fitness and he will be keen to show that he is back to his best.
That can only be good for Manchester United.

I think Manchester United have done very well in the transfer market
this summer and in Juan Veron they have got one of the best players
in the world. I played against him during my time in Italy and can
vouch for what a tough competitor he is. As well as being very
skilful he loves to fight for the ball and I am sure he will be able
to handle himself in the Premiership."

---------------------------------
[3] Pre-season means nothing
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Preston manager David Moyes after his side lost 5-0 to Leeds.

"I think Leeds look as if they've got the same group of players who are another season
wiser, they've got a little bit more experience. I think now they'll be hoping that
with the squad they've got they can make a real challenge."

---------------------------------
[2] Arse keeper on way out
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fiorentina website confirms: "The transfer of Alex Manninger to Fiorentina is
definite."

---------------------------------
[1] Red News deadline
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, August 8, 2001 by bar-knee:
The deadline for the next issue of Red News (no.79) is this Friday (10th).
Articles/letters/photos/etc are always appreciated - it's your mag after all - so
please keep anything coming to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

We're particularly after any unique insights/tales from the Far East tour and, of
course, any general gossip about United you may have.

Deadline for Red News - August 10th.

---------------------------------
[24] Goalie on move to Antwerp
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
Paul Rachubka on a three-month loan spell with Royal Antwerp.

Red News can also reveal that a few more youngsters will be on their way over the
coming weeks - with deals between one and three months each. If the deals work then
the loan times will be extended.

---------------------------------
[23] Fergie sees Chelsea as danger this year
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think the danger this year will be Chelsea. I think the signing of Petit was a very
good signing. I think I can see a different shape to their side. I think they've a lot
of pace on the sides in (Jesper) Gronkjaer and Zenden so counter-attacking they will
be useful. They also have a lot of pace up front. There are five teams and the
champions will be one of those five"

---------------------------------
[22] Keegan's massive confidence
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I don't know what the reasons were for so many points being dropped
at Maine Road last season. But I was surprised when  I saw the figures. Traditionally,
Maine Road was a ground which other teams didn't  like coming to and I want to see a
return of that fear factor.

I can remember coming here as manager of a very good Fulham team  and the atmosphere
inside Maine Road was very intimidating and  certainly contributed to our defeat. That
is what I want to re-create this season but I don't buy into  the notion that it's up
to the City fans to inspire and motivate the  players in matches at Maine Road. I have
told the players that this is back-to-front logic. It is the  duty of the players to
inspire and motivate the crowd - not the other
way around.

If the supporters like what they are seeing they will get behind
the team all right - I had first-hand experience of that when I came  to Maine Road
with Fulham. But the players have to earn that level of support rather than  expect it
as some sort of right. The simple truth is that results at home win promotion and
results  at home keep you in the Premiership. And if we can turn Maine Road into a
ground which no team wants to  visit over the coming campaign, our chances of getting
back into the  top division will be immeasurably improved."

---------------------------------
[21] Travel chaos ahead?
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From official site

'It has been announced that several roads surrounding Old Trafford will be closed for
major roadworks until January, and may possibly cause disruption on matchday. The
closures all involve the M60 Manchester ring-road, and fans are being advised to seek
alternative routes when travelling to home games.'

---------------------------------
[20] Rivaldo pisses off Brazil
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Rivaldo has travelled with Barcelona to Poland in defiance of Brazil's Soccer
Confederation, which wants him to play a friendly.

On Monday, Barcelona said Brazil had agreed that Rivaldo could miss the match against
Panama.

But hours later, the Brazilian Soccer Confederation denied it had given Rivaldo
permission.

Club spokesman Xavi Catalan said: "All we know is that there was an agreement backed
by FIFA yesterday. We haven't heard anything official to the contrary from Brazil."

Barcelona had argued that its Champions League qualifier against Wisla was much more
important than Brazil's exhibition match on Thursday.

The club has agreed that Rivaldo could join Brazil for its August 15 World Cup 2002
qualifier against Paraguay.

Brazil, which is tied with Uruguay for fourth place in the South American group, risks
missing the World Cup for the first time ever and needs a win against Paraguay.

Barcelona said it sent a letter to the CBF last week explaining its case. Backed by
Rivaldo, it let it be known it had no intention of releasing the player.

Rivaldo's absence would have left the side seriously weakened up front given that the
team is already without new Argentine ace Javier Saviola who has returned home because
of his father's failing health.'

---------------------------------
[19] Some quotes for you
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, August 7, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From RN reader, Stephen

'Came across the following, for your amusement, (Keep an eye for Keegans massive mouth
in overdrive).'

Young Gareth Barry, y'know, he's young." Kevin Keegan
(The Massive one does it again)

"Wendy Toms has never been taken from behind by a 14-stone centre half." Joe  Royle

"Argentina won't be at Euro 2000 because they're from South America." Kevin  Keegan

"Argentina are the second best team in the world, and there's no higher  praise than
that." Kevin Keegan

"Working with people on a field turns me on." Graeme Souness

"I've seen all the other Euro 2000 teams on video and no coach has as many  good
players as I do." A pre-tournament Kevin Keegan

I'm not a person who goes into a deep depression after a defeat. I try to  remain
reasonably upbeat. I'm realistic enough to know that results of  football matches are
often unpredictable and, when all is said and done,  things don't always work out as
one would wish!" Kevin Keegan, writing in  the England v Germany programme

"The fans might have envisaged a long string of away defeats strung together  like a
pearl necklace but we have shown that will not be the case."  Manchester City chairman
David Bernstein

"I like to breed players that attack people." David O'Leary

"It's real end-to-end stuff... but unfortunately it's all up at Forest's  end." Chris
Kamara