---------------------------------
[19] Leeds internal strife
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Leeds United supporters have been urged to stand firm behind chairman Peter Ridsdale
after it was revealed that he has been the target of hate-mail. Ridsdale has received
threats against himself and his family allegedly from supporters unhappy about
proposals for the club to leave Elland Road.

The United chairman has passed the offending material on to police, who are reported
to be investigating two groups, the Lancaster Whites and the Oxford Whites, who are
thought to be behind the campaign.

But Ray Fell, chairman of the Leeds United Supporters' Club, has blasted those
responsible and called on all decent fans to back their chairman.

"I just can't understand the mentality of these people," he said. "They are out of
order. If they want to raise anything with the chairman, they should do it through the
club, not intervene in his personal life. It's simply unforgivable and unacceptable.
In Peter Ridsdale, we have a statesman and a fans' chairman, and to rock the boat in
this way is inexplicable and unbelievable. These people are outside Leeds, but they're
not real fans. I can only appeal to the genuine fans that, if they have any
information to help in solving this problem, that they come forward and do so."

Fell accepts that there will be differences of opinion about the proposed move away
from Elland Road, but insists that supporters will be fully consulted and that the
final decision, whatever it is, will be taken for the good of the club.

"It's something that affects fans and wherever there is a gathering of fans, there are
going to be differences of opinion," he said.

"That's the nature of the game, but the important thing is that the club does what is
best for Leeds United, not for any individual. It will be a board decision and a club
decision, but one in which the fans are involved. I understand letters are going out
tomorrow and I would say that fans will abide by what's best for the club. Wherever
Leeds go, the true fans will be there with them. Mr Ridsdale is doing an excellent
job, he's proven a good fans' chairman. Let's get behind him and cut out this silly
sort of approach."

---------------------------------
[18] Scousers on yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Celebrate your cup final while you can - it won't last.

Houllier: "It was a fantastic game of football, very entertaining - a great game. We
probably played better than they did in the first half but in the second half they
were better than us. They put pressure on us - you've got to give them credit. I think
we could have scored more but for the start of the season it was not too bad. When you
play away from home against a side like Manchester United you have to show some
resilience but we dug in."

Sander Westerveld:

"It doesn't say too much about the season. It's a great result, but it does not say
anything whatsoever about the championship. Some people say this match doesn't matter,
but a cup is a cup. It is never a friendly against Manchester United. It's a massive
game for our supporters and I'm glad we showed them how much we love them."

McAllister: "The atmosphere here is brilliant. There's not a lot of love lost (between
the two sides). I think it's a great stadium, we've been here three times and it's a
lucky place for us."

And what about our ten penalties?

---------------------------------
[17] Fowlup was dropped yesterday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Who cares?

Fowler: "I was dropped."

Houllier: "It was my decision, it is an internal matter".

---------------------------------
[16] Fergie on the ref
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I felt sorry for the referee, I must say that. No matter how much training you give a
person in football, management or anything, you have to have a temperament to deal
with situations. I just think that the lad was too nervous for that situation today
and I felt sorry for him. I felt sometimes with the way he was performing that he
still had the Middlesbrough game in his mind when the players harangued him, which was
wrong of them. He's a decent referee and a decent person but I just think it was a big
game for him and his nerves got to him."

---------------------------------
[15] Fergie on Cole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Andy Cole doesn't need to come to me to speak to me about his future. His future is
solid as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing I can do about that.

There is a squad of players here and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been so patient over the
years, while Teddy Sheringham had to be patient as well. We can't win this league or
anything without the squad we've got. Everyone in the Premier League has remarked on
that over the years - managers, players, the press - so why should we change it now?"

---------------------------------
[14] Eric speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Eric speaking in spanish newspaper AS.

"Zidane is the best player in the world"

"Real should win the Liga but it's different in the Champions League.  Espcially with
2 legs games. Madrid has a great team but you can say  the same of Manchester United.
With Van Nistelrooy and Veron, plus  Barthez, Bechkam and the others I don't see big
differences with  Real. A match between the two teams would be sensational."

---------------------------------
[13] PSV never complained about Stam
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Probably happy with the deal.

"If there was a direct complaint to us, the matter would be investigated, but that has
not happened," said a Premier League spokesperson.

---------------------------------
[12] England has-been on Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Sir Geoff Hurst:

"There are two or three outstanding elements to his game, such as his crossing and his
delivery at set-pieces. But, whatever the Old Trafford fan surveys say, he is far from
the complete midfield player. Beckham has combined a rich and glamorous lifestyle with
a successful playing career. But I believe he is over-rated as a player."

(and who cares what you think?)

"In fact, I don't think he's the best right-side midfield player in Manchester
United's recent past. Steve Coppell was a better all-rounder and he had a greater
range of skills than Beckham."

---------------------------------
[11] Giggs on Scholes with Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"When you have quality players they can adapt to any system so it doesn't really
matter much what system you use."

---------------------------------
[10] Giggs on the stadium
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was also interesting playing with the roof closed. It's something we enjoyed
because it makes the noise from the crowd that much greater."

---------------------------------
[9] Giggs on losing to the Mickeys
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We don't like losing important matches, we don't like losing to Liverpool, and this
is the fourth time on the trot that we have lost the Charity Shield so we are more
determined than ever to be ready for next weekend and the start of the league season.
It was an important game for us in terms of acquiring match fitness, and it was an
entertaining game to play in. But we started badly and that's something you can't do
against a team like Liverpool. They like to hit teams on the break and when you are
2-0 down like we were it is very difficult to get back into the game without getting
caught out. But we were very pleased with the way we played in the second half. We
created a lot of chances and we can take heart from that."

---------------------------------
[8] Giggs happy with Ruud
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Ruud scored another one for us, and his pre-season form is showing that if he gets
chances he will put them away. It's just up to us to create chances and get the ball
into good positions for him. His general play deserves the goals, and they will come."

---------------------------------
[7] Veron only back on Friday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Fergie:

"This is the worst trip for him as he has to go back into Buenos Aires before flying
out again so he doesn't get back into Manchester until next Friday morning. For other
international games though, he'll be able to leave immediately after the games so
he'll be back in Manchester on Thursdays, which should be all right."

---------------------------------
[6] Fergie online tribute book set-up
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
(link:http://mufcnews.tripod.com/fergie/tribute.htm)
http://mufcnews.tripod.com/fergie/tribute.htm

---------------------------------
[5] What a surprise
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
The Mirror get another dig in at United, surely not. World famine, war, recession and
the like and their Editorial today is about Fergie.

'VOICE OF THE MIRROR: FA SHOULD GIVE FERGIE A RED CARD

SIR Alex Ferguson is Britain's most successful football manager.

His genius has made Manchester United one of the richest and most famous soccer teams
in the world. But thousands of fans will be furious to find out that he is quite
prepared to break the rules when it suits him.

Defender Jaap Stam reveals today how Fergie secretly met him behind the back of his
then club, PSV Eindhoven.

The object of the illegal meeting in Amsterdam - a clear breach of FA and UEFA rules -
was to lure Stam to Manchester. By the time United made an official approach, the deal
was done.

Stam attempts to defend what happened by claiming it is commonplace in football. But
that's not good enough.

Ferguson would be the first to cry "foul" if he discovered a rival club trying
illegally to tempt away a United star.

It's not the first time he's been accused of "tapping up" players. Arsenal's Patrick
Viera has alleged a similar approach.

Ferguson is admired by millions. He should be setting an example, not breaking the
rules.

Perhaps it is time the football authorities reminded him of that fact.'

Talking of facts. The Mirror Editor is an Arse fan.

---------------------------------
[4] New England boy worships Becks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
Owen Hargreaves' mum, Margaret:

"Owen has been David Beckham's biggest fan for as long as I can remember. There were
pictures on the bedroom wall, hero worship and always watching him on TV. I think
Beckham has influenced Owen more than anyone else. He told us: 'I don't need to look
up to Beckham anymore, I'll be on the same side as him'."

---------------------------------
[3] FA on Vieira tap claims
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
An FA spokesman said yesterday: "With regard to the allegation of an illegal approach
by Manchester United the FA can confirm that we have not received a complaint from
Arsenal Football Club. And, we are therefore, in no position to take any action on
this matter."

---------------------------------
[2] More from Stam
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, August 13, 2001 by bar-knee:
In the Mirror

'JAAP Stam has told of the day Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson nearly
crippled him during a fierce dressing room rant. The big defender was sitting behind a
treatment table at half-time when Fergie lost his temper and booted it over in anger.

Stam, who was hit in the chest by flying drinks bottles and pots of cream, just
managed to pull his legs out of the way as the huge metal table crashed to the ground
where his toes had been. Had it landed on his feet it would have put him out of action
for months with crushed bones.'

(this is turning into some Stephen King type read...)

'But in his autobiography Head-To-Head, serialised this week in The Mirror, Stam
revealed Fergie's fury didn't end there.  He continued with a foul-mouthed tirade
against the players for their poor display during a 1998 clash against Sheffield