---------------------------------
[15] Don't Forget
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
To claim your free bet with our mates at Sporting Odds.

Click on the banner ad below.

Latest Odds for today's game:

Tottenham Hotspur    5/2

Manchester United    10/11

Draw    9/4

---------------------------------
[14] Head to head with Spurs
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
>From Sky:

Head to Head
* Spurs have won 4 of the last 7 meetings here in all comps, including the last 2.
However these are their only wins in the last 12 meetings here

* Man Utd have not won at White Hart Lane since August '97 (4 since in all comps),
however they have won 6 of the last 11 meetings here in all comps

* Only 1 draw in the last 9 meetings here in all comps, 2-2 in December '98 (2 since)

* There has not been a 0-0 draw here since April '86 (16 meetings since)

* Man Utd have not failed to score at White Hart Lane since May '87 - 15 meetings
since in all comps

* No player has scored a hat trick in this fixture since current Oldham boss Andy
Ritchie hit 3 for United in their 4-1 win at Old Trafford in April 1980

* Today's Ref: Jeff Winter (Stockton-on-Tees) - 21 yellow and 2 red cards in 4
Premiership games so far this season
Last Season: Tottenham 3 (Korsten 2, Ferdinand) Man Utd 1 (Scholes) - 19th May 2001
Also: Man Utd 2 (Scholes, Solskjaer) Tottenham 0 - 2nd December 2000

---------------------------------
[13] Opta stats for today
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
Spurs first

7  Games 6

ATTACKING
8  Goals scored 17
1.14  Ave goals per game 2.83
33%  Shooting Accuracy 58%
9%  Goals to shots % 19%

PASSING
3,007  Passes 3,374
75%  Pass completion % 83%

DEFENDING
73%  Tackle success rate % 74%
8  Goals conceded 10
1.14  Ave goals conceded per game 1.67

DISCIPLINE
96  Fouls 89
11  Yellow cards 4
11  Red cards 1

---------------------------------
[12] Players strike latest
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
>From Ananova

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor insists his
members will stand firm, and united, by their claim for a better deal over television
contracts.

On Friday Taylor had his first face-to-face meeting with Premier League chief Richard
Scudamore since the uproar over payments from the league's hefty TV link-up started.

But the pair found little common ground in their bid to avert a players' strike and
Taylor is adamant that his union will not give way.

"I have been told that the latest offer is the last one, so as a union what other
action can we take," he said.

"My members feel they have been insulted, and I have been instructed not to accept any
less than 5 per cent of the television contract money.

"First we were told that the British players wouldn't support us; then it was the
overseas players, and then the supporters. Let us see."

The pair will meet again in Manchester on Monday - but unless either party gives some
ground the argument seems destined to escalate further.

With the PFA arguing they are entitled to 5 per cent of the £1.5billion centrally
agreed television deals with BSkyB and ITV - and the Premier League claiming they are
not - what now looks likely is a court case to determine whether players can go on
strike even though the dispute is not directly with their employers.

Taylor said: "The last fax from Richard Scudamore said they wanted to know why we
thought we had the right to take industrial action.

"We are also getting letters of a similar nature from all the club chairmen, saying we
have no right to take such action.

"But we do, we know we do - we have basic human rights and we have employment rights
as well and we will go to court to prove it."

---------------------------------
[11] Ryan on Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
"Laurent has taken some criticism but any player takes time to settle. People said
that about Jaap Stam when he first started and he didn't do too badly.

"I think Laurent is an excellent player. He's won everything there is to win and he
brings experience, skill and wisdom with him from Italy. Wes Brown has been a
revelation since Laurent came to the club and in time I think the defence will answer
their own critics."

---------------------------------
[10] Giggsy: Nothing surprises me
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
"I was surprised by the speed of the transfer,". "But nothing in football shocks me
any more. The manager picks, buys and sells the players and his decision is final.
I've often said that one of the main pressures of playing for Manchester United is
there is always someone ready to come in for you - nobody is indispensable.

---------------------------------
[9] No clues over successor
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
As Ryan says:

"As for who'll replace him, to be honest, I think the players will probably be the
last to know. Of course we've had the odd laugh when people have been mentioned but
primarily it's down to who we would or would not like to work with. It's just a bit of
light-hearted fun.

"The list has been endless anyway, so the chances of us getting the person we want is
probably remote."

---------------------------------
[8] No changing Fergies mind
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
As Giggsy says:

"Perhaps there is a certain amount of wishful thinking going on. I think he's made it
far too clear to do a U-turn at this stage. Of course the players, the fans and the
club's management would welcome that but I doubt it's going to happen. And you have to
respect him for making it clear and not stringing anyone along. He's had plenty of
opportunities to say 'maybe I'll see things differently'. But he's been pretty
resolute that he's going.

---------------------------------
[7] Giggsy: Just qualifying is important
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
"Our away form has been indifferent to say the least and when you're not winning games
you don't get the luck either. At this stage in Europe, it's more important to qualify
than the way you qualify.

"I've always said that the real competition doesn't start until the knock-out stages
so that's when you need to be on top of your game. But I accept, like most of the
other players, that there is a need to play better.

"Last season we were fortunate to survive the first qualifying round. If Dynamo Kiev
had scored in the last few minutes we would have been out. But if you look at our
record, overall, we've been one of the most consistent sides in Europe. I think we're
the only team to reach the quarter finals five seasons on the trot."

---------------------------------
[6] Giggsy: Don't panic
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
>From F365

"We're notoriously slow starters, so no-one is pressing the panic button yet,". "You
could argue that results could be better but in the fullness of time I think we will
get to the point where the early criticism subsides.

"It's not exactly new, is it? If we concerned ourselves with other people's fears,
we'd never get anywhere. I think we're best judged at the end, not a few games into
the campaign.

---------------------------------
[5] "They have been thoroughly unprofessional."
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
AXA's Phil Hickley on the FA over the FA Cup sponsorship.

Careful, Government Ministers got the axe (no pun intended) for insulting the blazers
in Soho.

---------------------------------
[4] Phil on Deportivo
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
"We worked hard and to lose like that is something that's not happened to us before.
We didn't like it.

"The new system is geared towards European football. We soaked up a lot of pressure
and had the chances to win the game.

"There were times when we had the opportunity to break and our final pass let us down.

"Apart from that, the signs were encouraging. European football is quite easy to play
with that system, because you flood the midfield. That's where the games are won and
lost."

"The last five minutes against Deportivo spoiled an otherwise really good European
display."

---------------------------------
[3] Phil: We're still on the road
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
"We have as much drive now as ever - it's always there.

"I don't think just because it's the manager's last season that we're any more or less
determined.

"We are desperate to win the Champions League once again. Ever since winning it in
1999, we have wanted to have that experience again."

---------------------------------
[2] All for one
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
As Phil says we're all to blame:

"The defence has been highlighted for making mistakes but the manager and the players
know it is a team thing.

"There have been individual mistakes early on in the season that have cost us dear but
they have been highlighted because we are Manchester United.

"Some of the criticism was justified. But the manager has told us that we're all good
defenders and just to go out and do our job."

---------------------------------
[1] Mickeys after Dwight?
---------------------------------
Posted Saturday, September 29, 2001 by tb:
The S*n in an 'exclusive'claim that the Dirties see Dwight as a replacement for
Fowlup, should he leave Anfailed. No quotes so probably just space filler.

---------------------------------
[23] Fergie on Teddy
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"He did a great job for us. Last season was terrific for him and he played a great
part in our success during the four years he was with us. He's revelling in the role
of captain and he's been playing exceptionally well for them. "I watched the game
against Sunderland and I thought he was great. It was a good move for Teddy at this
stage of his career regarding his own situation and wanting to be in London to be near
his son. That played a part in it and he also got a terrific offer from Tottenham
which I felt he couldn't turn down."

---------------------------------
[22] Money, money, money
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The spiraling cost of player's wages is expected to feature prominently in Manchester
United's interim results on Monday. Hefty acquisitions are also expected to make their
mark on the company's profits. In July, the club announced it had signed Juan
Sebastian Veron from Lazio for £28 million. Earlier this year, the company unveiled
interim pre-tax profits of £17 million, up from £12 million.

Last month, Manchester United's 13-year, £303 million strategic alliance with Nike
came into force. The alliance with Nike will give Manchester United exclusive
sponsorship, licensing and merchandising rights.

The group's £8.6 million development of further facilities at its Carrington training
complex is also on course to be completed by March 2002. Analysts are also hoping for
an update on MUTV, which is expected to show narrowing losses.'

---------------------------------
[21] United squad for tomorrow
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Keane out suspended. Wes Brown and Yorke injured.

Team (from): Barthez, G Neville, Blanc, Johnsen, Silvestre, Beckham, Veron, Butt,
Giggs, van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Solskjaer, Cole, P Neville, Irwin, Chadwick, May,
Carroll.

---------------------------------
[20] Teddy won the lot plays against us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Hoddle on Sheringham:

"He's proven that he's as good as ever and if we can continue to get that sort of
performance out of him and he can still get on the scoresheet, then who's to say his
two-year contract won't extend to three? If you've got a love of the game and you look
after yourself  like he does, there is no reason why you cannot go on to play at 38 or
39 at the top level. At the moment his form is as good as anyone. If Sven is looking
for people in form, there is no-one better than Teddy. He is definitely still good
enough, without doubt - just ask those  Premiership defenders who have to play against
him."

---------------------------------
[19] More from Blanc
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
"People are criticising the defence because they are conceding goals, but it is up to
the whole team to stop the opposition scoring. If you are letting in goals, you don't
have to blame the goalkeeper or defenders because everybody is part of the team and
has to help."

---------------------------------
[18] With reference to Paddy Harverson's open letter
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
in the news yesterday

RN Reader Fiona writes

'Paddy Haverson makes a very poor argument using  the demand for Anderlecht tickets to
support  the Lille allocation. The Anderlecht tickets all went to a ballot,  some of
those who were not successful later got a call from the ticket office stating that
further tickets were available (probably from the Exec Trip). Even then there were
many fans out in Brussels without tickets. This is in addition to the tickets costing
£40 and the trains all being up the swanee at the time.'

---------------------------------
[17] Lille away
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
It should be fun travelling to Lille for the Euro away. Leeds have been drawn at
Troyes, just the other side of Paris, the day after our game. Eurostar the obvious way
to go.

Will UEFA use their common sense and make Leeds play their away leg first? Don't bank
on it.

---------------------------------
[16] So what does this mean then?
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'The Football Association has evealed that, from next season, there will be no direct
sponsor of the England team or the FA Cup. The current sponsorship deals - Nationwide
for the England team and AXA for the FA Cup - run out at the end of the current
international season, which climaxes with the World Cup in Japan and South Korea. The
new approach forms part of a complete re-organisation of the FA's marketing policy.'

---------------------------------
[15] city signings continue
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Manchester City have signed Cameroon international Lucien Mettomo from St Etienne.

And once again doesn't this take their squad up to 32347898 players?

---------------------------------
[14] Barthez & Silvestre in French squad
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
for the friendly match with Algeria next week.

---------------------------------
[13] Utd fans out on bail
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
from soccerway.com

'Four Manchester United  supporters detained by Spanish police on allegations of
sexual harassment  following Tuesday's Champions League match against Deportivo La
Coruna were  released Thursday on police bail, judicial sources said.

The examining magistrate released the woman and three men detained after the  2-1
defeat against Deportivo and they may now return to Britain - but they  will be
required to return to Spain at a later date to stand trial.'

---------------------------------
[12] And United's latest product release is...
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Official Manchester United toothpaste. I kid you not.

---------------------------------
[11] Spurs new boy to play against us
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
Dean Richards will make his debut for them tomorrow.

---------------------------------
[10] We take it all back
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
We've been quite complimentary about MUTV since its re-launch this summer. Paddy
Crerand's phone-ins, the reserve matches and the repeats of our league games are well
worth the monthly fee but we have mentioned before the dire teenage based 5pm show
that swings the tide away from the decent stuff to once again make you question the
channel.

Last night we watched rock bottom. On a United inspired channel, a good length of the
5pm show was given to their 'star guest'. Which player from the past you may ask. Not
likely. It was bloody Orville the Duck dressed in a Utd kit.

---------------------------------
[9] Becks' boots
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
We featured in RN 80 the high prices of some Utd items of memorabilia and a pair of
boots belonging to Becks that he gave to a fan at Leicester after accidentally hitting
them in the face in the warm up went for...£2,350.

[8] Innuendo reporting
Posted Friday, September 28, 2001 by bar-knee:
In true 'nudge, nudge' mode the Mirror's 3am colum suggests that Eric 'has been
enjoying secret dates with beautiful TV presenter Gabrielle Richens. The classic
'source' tells them: "This isn't a serious relationship but they really do enjoy each
other's company"

She presents Channel 5 programme Desert Forges and Eric's UK agent, Pascal Cabon said:
"I've never heard of this girl. I'm sure it's not true".