---------------------------------
[20] More from Ipswich
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Armstrong again: "The decision to play on Thursday was down to the club.  The players
would have preferred Wednesday but it was out of our hands. The legs just went in the
last 20 minutes."

---------------------------------
[19] Telling hack quote
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Neil Custis of the SUN, very close to both Dwight and Cole

"How long the patience of Cole and Yorke will last remains to be seen. I would give it
a couple of months."

---------------------------------
[18] The truth from Jordi
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
As he calls the UEFA Cup a competition for 'also rans'

"We were beating poor teams in Europe in mid week then getting hammered in the Spanish
league. I think Manchester United have set the example.  Big clubs should cherry pick
the tournaments they enter, and leave minor competitions to lesser clubs"

like Liverpool...

---------------------------------
[17] Veron speaks
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Lazio still  have to grow as lot as a club. If you spend one week with United, you
realise that you only have to think about playing. Everything is taken care of,
nothing is missed. Everything is done  to the maximum, and from that point of view,
Lazio still have to grow  a lot. When I came here, they told me that they must win
everything - it is a continuous challenge. People say I'm the key. Maybe it's a little
bit exaggerated, but I  like that kind of pressure on my shoulders. If you really want
to be  one of the greats, you must face challenges."

---------------------------------
[16] Ipswich manager reflects
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Burley:
"It wasn't the ideal preparation playing on the Thursday then travelling to Manchester
the next day. But there was nothing we could do. The television deal had already been
done.  This shows why United are such a world-class side. They have a squad of
probably 22 international players who are all desperate to play. Every season they get
stronger and we found it hard going. They are still very much the team to catch.
Solskjaer and Cole would walk into any other first team in the Premiership. There's no
better finisher than Solskjaer. Give him half a chance and it's in."

---------------------------------
[15] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Ole's a great striker and finisher. And Cole came in and worked really hard. Ipswich
put a lot into it, but I think they were suffering from playing on Thursday."

---------------------------------
[14] Nicky Butt on life at United
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I might not be first choice but there are a lot of games so hopefully we will all get
a few under our belts. "It's nice that other people think you are good enough to pay a
lot of money for.  But nine times out of 10 you take no notice of what's in the papers
unless the manager were to come up to you and mention it to you. I just take it all
with a pinch of salt."

---------------------------------
[13] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"You have to trust your players. There's no point in saying what a great squad you
have if you're not prepared to use them.  You have to give everyone games. Not many of
them have figured so far this season and it's not easy for any of them. The fact that
we're playing Deportivo on Tuesday night and travelling the day before meant I was
forced to make big changes. But there was still a lot of experience out there. It
wasn't as if I was putting out a team of kids."

---------------------------------
[12] Ipswich on Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Alun Armstrong:

"It might have been United's second team but that line-up could still qualify for
Europe. They'd finish in the Premiership's top five. When they brought on their subs,
the likes of Veron and Scholes, it was embarrassing. When we saw the United teamsheet,
we really thought we had a chance of getting a result. But they're all international
players and once again we've seen their massive strength in depth. You can't compete
with that and we were outplayed. People talk about Liverpool and Arsenal but for me
United will be the champions once again and probably win the Champions League."

---------------------------------
[11] Er, quite
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Kevin Keegan, manager of a side that will probably score 200 goals this season, let in
300 and still finish about 10th!

on Ali Bernabia

"I asked Shaun Goater what he thought about him after the game and he said 'He can see
you when you can't see yourself'.

Er?

---------------------------------
[10] Coruna violence
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
By Basque Dave

I was a bit suprised by the rumours of violence during the last two
Deportivo home games given that there had been nothing about this in the Spanish
press. It seems that after the defeat to Athletic Bilbao last weekend there was a spot
of mither in a bar, insults and a couple of punches were thrown, and the police waded
in. There were a couple of arrests of Bilbao fans, but no serious trouble.

Last Tuesday five Greek fans were arrested  for shoplifting before the game against
Olympiakos. Presumably this is where the figure of five violence related arrests came
from. I have seen no suggestion that there was any real trouble in the ground, apart
from a general bit of Greek boistrousness and Gallegan melancholy.

Sorry to sound like the Deportivo press officer, but I think this rumour is a bit
misguided - what do two and two make again? Thats right - five arrests for shoplifting.

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie on Ole
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"You always feel if he gets a chance that he has an 80% chance of scoring. He's a
terrific striker and a good finisher."

---------------------------------
[8] More anger from Stam
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I played in every game and there were never any complaints. I was twice voted the
best defender in Europe, and Ferguson even put me in United's team of the century. But
then, suddenly, I wasn't considered good enough. It was criminal. It was like a
robbery. I never wanted to leave United and was really happy there. You don't sell a
player just two games into a new season. It just doesn't make sense."

---------------------------------
[7] New player?
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Spotted by RN reader Johno

Spotted this on the Soccernet web site.

"There was no Beckham, Blanc, Gibbs, Brown or Irwin. Multi-million pound signings Juan
Veron and Ruud van Nistelrooy were consigned to the substitutes' bench in the
distinguished company of Paul Scholes and Gary Neville."

---------------------------------
[6] More on French game in Aus
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
David Dein is collecting signatures for a letter to be sent to FIFA:

"The signatories of the petition do not believe it's reasonable to  play a friendly
match in Australia at such a crucial time of the season. However, the clubs are
mindful that the French national team needs to prepare for the World Cup next summer
and are proposing that the match takes place at a European venue. Many of the clubs
whose fixtures this would affect have stated that they would be willing to host the
event - some have even offered to do so free of charge."

---------------------------------
[5] O'Leary gets the excuses in early
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I'm delighted with what we've done so far but the next couple of months are going to
be testing in terms of the fixtures and issues we know we are going to face. The court
case is coming up again soon and we will be losing Mark and Harry to Australia for
their World Cup games. We don't even know yet how long they will be away. So we know
we are going to be short of players even before we take injuries into account, and at
the moment we have both Alan Smith and Michael Bridges out. We're only operating with
two forwards. I'd love to have Alan back, or Michael on the bench. But we don't have
the kind of luxuries other teams have, and I don't know when either of them will be
back. Then there's the risk of suspensions. Lee Bowyer and Danny Mills have served a
one-match ban for their dismissals at Arsenal but now face hearings into misconduct.
It's why I keep saying we need a bigger squad, so although it's nice to be top, we are
not kidding ourselves."

---------------------------------
[4] Norwich liked our result
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
As Norwich put up the message on their scoreboard on Saturday for their home game

Manchester United 1 Scum 0

A Norwich club spokesman said: "We offer an unreserved apology for this latest score
message displayed on the scoreboards. The club is extremely sorry for any offence
caused to our friends and colleagues at Ipswich Town and their supporters."

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of Norwich City, said: "We are most embarrassed and
upset, having worked so hard in recent years to foster good relations with Ipswich
Town, which include such initiatives as 'Shake Hands on Derby Day'."

Shake hands on Derby Day! What's that all about...

---------------------------------
[3] If you missed getting your latest Red News last Saturday
---------------------------------
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
You can order a copy of Red News, no 80 by post for just £2 inc p&p. Or better still a
10 issue sub to your door in the UK costs just £16.50. Red News, P.O.Box 176,
Manchester, M16 8LG

---------------------------------
[2] Dwight injured
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
Out for three weeks with a hamstring injury picked up in training (football that is,
not the other 'sort!').

[1] Fergie on Europe
Posted Monday, September 24, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We aren't often boring, but at the same time, especially in Europe, I do think we
have to temper our attacking surges more sensibly."