---------------------------------
[15] Fergie - I was right about it being toughtest game
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We think that was the toughest game, and that proved it. It was a disappointing
finish - it's hard to believe. We were careless with our possession in the second half
at times, I thought we could have done better with that. But we had one or two chances
to finish the game when Ryan Giggs went through and Veron went through, you need a bit
of composure at that point. You have to do it in all games, when 1-0 up - it only
takes a second to score a goal. They fought hard, threw all their players on and kept
it at a high tempo. It was a good game actually, but I am just disappointed that we
lost it."

---------------------------------
[14] Irwin on Greek test
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think it's all in the melting pot now. Olympiakos have played two away games and
will be desperate to take something out of that game, while we also need something."

---------------------------------
[13] Irwin on last night
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We're all deeply disappointed. We defended very comfortably and although they came at
us in the second half, as you would expect, we had a couple of chances ourselves. On
other days we would have taken them and if we had got that second goal, it would all
have been over. It's heartbreaking to see them score two goals in the last few
minutes. The last few minutes were destroying after playing so well and creating a few
chances when we hit them on the break. We might have been happy with a draw
beforehand, but after being 1-0 up we are all deeply disappointed."

---------------------------------
[12] More on the uneasy and unhappy ship at Anfield
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Houllahoop on Fowlup

"We are all aware that he needs to play much better than that and it is down to the
boy himself to do something about it. I have spoken to him about it and he knows that
every single member of staff is ready to help him out, whether it is to do with
physical matters or improving his mental edge. We will do all we can, but the bottom
line is that he has to help himself. He is not as fit as he should be and not as
sharp, and he is going to have to address that. He simply has to do better than of
late and it is not about anyone but himself. I don't think Robbie lacks confidence,
and I happen to believe he will respond positively when his chance comes. I am
optimistic that he will come back to his best sooner rather than later, but, for now,
it is evident that he is below his best."

---------------------------------
[11] One stat we will have to work on
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
We have won just four Euro aways out of 15 since May 26th 1999 and only one in the
last eight away matches.

---------------------------------
[10] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We were doing our job very well until the last few minutes. But Deportivo never
stopped and for that reason they deserved to get something from the game. But we've
got to take something from tonight and I would expect us to maintain that good
standard. It was a very good match, very exciting and had you on the edge of your
seat."

---------------------------------
[9] Fergie thought we were careless
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I think we had done almost 100 per cent of the job — but we got careless in the
second half. That bit of carelessness in trying to go for the throat is just a
reminder of what European football is all about. What we will take from tonight is the
fact that losing concentration costs you games. The first goal was certainly down to a
loss of concentration."

---------------------------------
[8] Scousers get caught
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Liverpool have been charged by the Premier League with making an illegal approach for
former player Christian Ziege while he was at Middlesbrough. Ziege, the German
international defender now at Tottenham, has also been charged in connection with the
transfer. Both the Anfield club and Ziege have been given 14 days to respond to the
charges, and are likely to face a Premier League disciplinary commission. The charges
follow a complaint from Middlesbrough over the transfer of Ziege to Liverpool for
£5.5million at the start of last season.'

---------------------------------
[7] A perfect match
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
As Charlie Ince is linked with a move to city.

---------------------------------
[6] More on the loss of Big Lily
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
>From Ananova

'Manchester United are appealing to their millions of worldwide fans to find Big Lily,
a famous flag which has mysteriously disappeared. The club has put up a small, but
meaningful reward and has asked supporters for information about Big Lily's
whereabouts. Big Lily, owned by Man Utd fanatic Keith Norris, is 100ft by 60ft in red,
black and white, and disappeared after being stored at Old Trafford after last
season's last home game. Keith, 34, an auto-parts sales manager from Carrickfergus,
Northern Ireland, is devastated by the loss.

Keith told Ananova, "The hurt of losing Lily doesn't go away. But now with the help of
the club Lily and I may yet be re-united. I am ever hopeful."

He hopes the club's official appeal carried in the club programme at the last home
game, will prompt fresh leads from the public. Big Lily, which Keith says is the size
of a 'young goat' when folded-up has been unfurled all over the globe wherever Man Utd
has played. Lily was also a 'bridesmaid' at Keith's wedding.

He spent £3,500 to have the flag made because he thought home games lacked atmosphere.
But the first time it was unveiled on the famous Stretford End at Old Trafford, it
disappeared without a trace after being stored at the ground after the game. He
suspects Man City supporters or fans from Merseyside for Lily's disappearance. Anyone
with information on Lily can phone Man Utd on 0161 8688000 or by contacting Keith
through Big Lily's website.'

---------------------------------
[5] More from Fergie
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"It was a disappointing finish - it's hard to believe. We were careless with our
possession in the second half at times, I thought we could have done better with that.
But we had one or two chances to finish the game when Ryan Giggs went through and
Veron went through, you need a bit of composure at that point. You have to do it in
all games, when 1-0 up - it only takes a second to score a goal. They fought hard,
threw all their players on and kept it at a high tempo, it was a good game actually,
but I am just disappointed that we lost it. We think that was the toughest game, and
that proved it"

Fergie thinks 10 points will do it for us and said that pre-match as well as this
would be our toughest game. But again we reiterate, a defeat is a NO CAN DO in Greece.

---------------------------------
[4] Coruna perspective
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
And perspective we should put it in. We had several chances to finish the game - and a
2-0 win would have had the rest of Europe taking notice. Look at how well Coruna did
last season - they are a class outfit. Our system finally looked like taking shape.
But...that isn't hiding the fact that once again the back four looked highly shaky at
times, saved repeatedly by Barthez. Unless we get that right this won't be our last
Euro depression.

Coruna manager Javier Irureta:

"Our win was not down to luck, but our positive attitude. We just never give games up.
We just don't accept we are going to lose a game. That belief helps us carry on
getting late equalisers, like we did last week against Olympiakos, or winners like we
did tonight. We just won't accept bad results. I think they are certainly the toughest
opponents we have had in Europe and the biggest success I have enjoyed."

---------------------------------
[3] Fergie on missed chances
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Thought Giggsy had his one.

"We scored our goal at a good time, but in the second half we had opportunities to
kill the match. That's the one regret we have and if we had taken one of them we would
have won it. I thought it was a good game of football. It was exciting and both sides
played their part."

---------------------------------
[2] Fergie reflects
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
"Deportivo are a good side, but we knew that and we were doing our jobs well until the
last four minutes. It was disappointing because we worked so hard and had chances to
score, but Deportivo kept going and they deserved to get something out of the game. We
did almost 100% of our job and then we were careless in possession after showing great
precision earlier. It was a reminder of what European football is all about and the
team with the ball controls the game. We got a reminder of what happens if you lose
concentration."

And considering how often Gary Nev has his hands in the air these days, disappointing
to see him the one that was offside.

---------------------------------
[1] One silver lining
---------------------------------
Posted Wednesday, September 26, 2001 by bar-knee:
Not really I suppose but in a sea of ABU commentary from Alan Green - and how
different to see what he was describing on actual TV - he compared us and city. "Light
years ahead". And he wasn't referring to them.

---------------------------------
[33] Full-time. Shit. Coruna 2 United 1
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Two goals in the last 4 minutes for the home side after it looked like we'd weathered
their storm and would calmly take all 3 points. They however always kept at it - when
if United did do well in shutting the game off at times during the second half should
perhaps have changed things around with 10 minutes or so to go. Ole and Cole only came
on with seconds to go. Whatever, this now makes the next two games crucial - make no
mistake, Olympiakos away and Coruna home are now must not lose matches. And yet
another bloody defeat in Spain.

Lille 3 Olympiakos 1

Points
Coruna 4
United 3
Lille 3
Olympiakos 1

---------------------------------
[32] Half-time Coruna 0 United 1
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Scholes goal at the end of the half. All going well, so much so that Emerson has been
taken off at half-time.

Barthez, Gary Nev, Irwin, Blanc, Johnsen, Becks, Giggs, Keane, Veron, Scholes, Ruud.

---------------------------------
[31] if you are going to have a bet on the game tonight
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Then use the Sporting Odds link below - not only do you help the web site, hopefully
win some money but also get two free bets if you open an account.

Our tip (so ignore!)

Half-time Draw
Full-time United

---------------------------------
[30] If this Barthez story continues to grow
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Over the coming months, then expect lots of mentions of Utd interest in Sunderland's
keeper Sorensen - he is admired at United, particularly by Tony Coton, our goalkeeping
coach.

---------------------------------
[29] But let's have a laugh
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Ok, we'll get our coats (courtesy of the Birdman)

I saw this bloke chatting up a cheetah, I thought "he's trying to pull a fast one".

So I said to this train driver "I want to go to Paris". He said "Eurostar?". I said
"I've been on telly but I'm no Dean Martin".

So I said to the Gym instructor "Can you teach me to do the splits?". He said "How
flexible are you?". I said "I can't make Tuesdays".

But I'll tell you what I love doing more than anything: trying to pack
myself in a small suitcase. I can hardly contain myself.

---------------------------------
[28] Do the powers that be read Red News
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
Obviously but rumours going round some sections of Utd support in Coruna suggest that
our earlier story about Barthez hasn't seen it all 'put to bed' until the end of the
season.

We're trying to find out what the score is from our well informed sources but two
reports come in of sightings of an unhappy looking Barthez in the team hotel after a
meeting this morning with cuddly Peter and the Gaffer. Hopefully they said 'you're
staying put, that's that'. But considering that we've already seen some criticism by
Fergie of Barthez this season (about coming out with the ball) when previously the
Porn Star had labelled Fabien as the new 'golden boy' in the Gaffer's eyes, we do hope
that things will return to last season normality soon.

---------------------------------
[27] United acknowledge loss of Big lily
---------------------------------
Posted Tuesday, September 25, 2001 by bar-knee:
from Paddy Harverson's page of Saturday's programme

Changing subjects entirely, I would like to ask if anyone out there knows the
whereabouts of Big Lily. For those who don't know, Big Lily is a huge red  white and
black flag that makes regular appearances on the big occasions. It  is owned by Keith
Norris of Carrickfergus, and after it was unfurled at the  final game last season it
was temporarily stored in the old players' tunnel  in the South Stand. It has not been
seen since, and we are very keen to track  Big Lily down and return her to Keith. If
anyone has any information, please  contact me at the club. A small but meaningful
reward is on offer.