---------------------------------
[18] What are the chances of that?
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2001 by redend:
Looking at United's comeback versus Spurs prompted a few comments re: the odds.

Apparently one punter in Blackpool waited until it was a dead cert and Spurs were 3-0
up at half-time before putting 10 grand on them to win at the shite odds of 1-16. Oops.

I'm pleased to say, personally, I cleaned up with a half-time - full-time result
forecast of "Spurs H/T - United F/T which netted odds of 26-1. Sadly I only had 50p on
but its not to be sniffed at when the bookie pays you.

For those on the email news only - you may not have seen the banner ads for the online
bookie we use. If you want a small bet on matches using an easy system - which will
also contribute to the RED NEWS Christmas party - then you can find more info at the
link below:

http://www.sportingodds.co.uk/adserver/scripts/ict.dll?click?rnews0

---------------------------------
[17] The greatest comeback since......
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2001 by redend:

.... city versus Gillingham!!!

That was the thoughts of one of the commentators on Century FM radio when considering
the magnitude of United's comeback. I'm surprised he didn't go the whole hog and utter
the M word.

There we are again - living in the shadow of the blues.

---------------------------------
[16] Three - nil down, five - three up ...
---------------------------------
Posted Sunday, September 30, 2001 by redend:

It was enough to make any Red moist as United produced the greatest comeback in the
history of the Premiership (at least) as we came from behind - so often our favoured
position it seems nowadays. A thoroughly submissive display left us humiliated, 3-0
down at half-time. However the second half saw us roll them over as we finally got on
top, assuming the dominant role, and spanking Tottenham until they begged for mercy -
5-3. It was enough to make your eyes water.

Spurs hit us with goals from Dean Richards, Les Ferdinand and Christian Ziege.

But starting just seconds after the break, with a goal from Andy Cole, we followed it
up with three more by Laurent Blanc, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Juan Sebastian Veron and
then the final thrust from David Beckham wrapped up a brilliant fightback.

Nicky Butt was pulled off after 39 minutes (we only got a half-time orange) after a
whack in the ribs from Mauricio Taricco, and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer came on as a third
striker.

But Spurs didn't collapse - we took the match by the scruff of the neck and there was
no denying an insatiable United.

Just 48 seconds into the 2nd half Gary Neville spurted down the right and delivered a
cross which Cole buried in the Tottenham cavity with a neat header inside the near
post.

Spurs were penetrated again after 57 minutes when Becks hit a corner from the right
and Blanc got up, using his head to power home.

United were level after 71 minutes when a thrusting move down the left ended with
Mikael Silvestre - (sub for Irwin) crossing for van Nistelrooy to lunge in and squirt
the ball into the Spurs net - again with a header.

Veron (man-of-the-match) again exposed Tottenham's soft parts when he found space on
the left edge of the area and rammed his shot into the bottom - far corner (ouch).

And there was still time for Becks (as usual the subject of chants from ABUs) to add
to Tottenham's soreness. Ole, entering the box, cleverly pulled it back to Becks -
just outside the area - and the match climaxed gloriously with an unstoppable drive
past an impotent Seaman - I mean Sullivan.

Which was nice. Cigarette anyone?