---------------------------------
[14] More from Merrett
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"No easy team in second stage. Never played Nantes before, looking forward to
it...they'll be seeing so many stars in our side and we will too for them"

(all four teams - Nantes, Bayern, Boavista - in our group are Champions of their
relative country)

---------------------------------
[13] Merrett on draw
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"We look (Bayern secretary) at each other each year and say yes we'll play each other
again this year. Managers are good friends...great games...nothing we don't know about
each other"

---------------------------------
[12] Hard groups
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Roma
Liverpool
Barca
Galatasaray

Arse
Juve
Coruna
Leverkuesen

---------------------------------
[11] Joke doing the rounds
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
This joke is doing the rounds on the net

Manchester City's early morning football practice was delayed on -Tuesday for nearly
two hours at Main Road. One of the players, while on his way to the field happened to
look down and notice a suspicious looking, unknown white powdery substance on the
practice field. Management immediately suspended practice while the CID were called in
to investigate. After a complete field analysis, the CID determined that the white
substance unknown to the players was the goal line. Practice was resumed when CID
Special Agents decided that the team would not be likely to encounter the substance
again.

---------------------------------
[10] And the bloke after the draw with the smiling face
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
was the Utd party including Ken Merrett, surely a better group than others.

---------------------------------
[9] Our full group is
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Manchester United
Bayern Munich
Nantes
Boavista

---------------------------------
[8] Second Stage Champions League draw is
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Group

Manchester United
Bayern
Nantes
One more team to come

---------------------------------
[7] Gary Nev on O'Leary
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
"I was surprised to learn of David O'Leary's comments after our game with Leeds. He
mentioned words like "edgy" and "nervous" relating to our defence, which I feel is a
cheap shot and him just jumping on the bandwagon.  I think that "edgy" and "nervous"
were maybe words that he used in his own dressing room at half time. In the first half
I felt we dominated a surprisingly nervous-looking Leeds side, with the exception of
Rio Ferdinand and Nigel Martyn.  I think even their manager was showing great concern.
As I played on the dugout side in the first half I could constantly hear him giving
instructions for our players to be picked up and for his side to start doing things
differently.  We felt Leeds were fortunate that Nigel Martyn was in inspired form to
prevent us winning the game."

---------------------------------
[6] Euro aways
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by redend:
If you haven't used expedia before this isn't bollocks - you can pick up some good
deals for Euros - we've used it loads - and now they give us a backhander if anyone
finds a good deal via us.

( http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5021375 ) Search and Book Flights

( http://www.qksrv.net/click-795737-5021376 ) Search and Book Hotels

---------------------------------
[5] Bet the fans love Le Saux and Petit and co at the moment
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
After Chelsea went out of the Uefa Cup after a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Hapoel Tel
Aviv. Leeds and Ipswich got through.

---------------------------------
[4] Your memories wanted
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Need your help again!

For a future edition of Red News we're looking for the following, so if you can help
in anyway send in your memories to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Pitch invasions by Utd fans. The good, the bad and the ugly. From over
the years which do you remember - with personal accounts and anecdotes
or opinions on ones that stand out. Send us your recollections, from Derby Day '74 to
Barca in the ECWC when Robbo was hoisted off in celebration. Any photos too!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks.

---------------------------------
[3] And the saddest thing was it wasn't even a surprise
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
How bad was the organisation in Lille for the game. A failure to confirm there was a
train back after the game which did materialise but would have solved a lot of hassles
if they'd just said there was all along and the dibble outside the ground as bad as it
gets - truncheons out and hitting innocent Reds, many not getting in with legitimate
tickets until way into the game, robocops unsympathetic to pleas to get it sorted, a
walk through the woods to get to the ground that seemed like we were in Little Red
Riding Hood and a complete lack of suprise by United fans when watching yet again Utd
fans treated like shite by those in authority. Yet once again (despite a few unclued
up euro away virgins) the French praised Utd fans' behaviour. Or as one bar man put it
"You drink but are great".

---------------------------------
[2] Remember it's Euro away draw
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
So keep checking the site for the draw live, dates and all the reaction.

My own choice

Nantes (French girls...), Prague and Barca

---------------------------------
[1] Bilbao Baggins dream draw
---------------------------------
Posted Friday, November 2, 2001 by bar-knee:
Different seedings groups as reported by Spanish media are

Big Boys: Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juve, Barca

Overachievers about to be found out: Bindippers, Deportivo, Panathingy, Nantes

Should be peaking nicely by March: Us, Arse, Galatasaray, Oporto

Making up the numbers: Boavista, Leverkusen, Sparta Prague, Roma

The first good news is that as we won't get anybody else from our group, this means we
definitely avoid Galatasaray. As the 'Pool will meet someone from group 3 and can't
play either us or the Arse, they have a 50% chance of getting the Turks, the only
alternative being a return to the city of Oporto to try and break their massive 6,000
attendance against Boavista (the Mickeys took 5,000 apparently).

In terms of second seeds we can't play either Depor or the Mickeys, and so must get
either Panathingy or Nantes. A fourth trip to Athens this year is thus a 50% chance.

As to the big boys, Depor necessarily will get either  Bayern or Juve, which
consequently halves our chances of getting either of them, and so makes the chances of
drawing Madrid or Barca higher.

Of the minnows Prague would be the most enjoyable trip, although Boavista would be fun
too. If we get one of the big Spanish teams it also increases our chances of getting
one of these two as Madrid can't play Roma again, nor Barca Leverkusen.

You are probably wondering why I didn't just wait 24 hours, and I think you are
probably right.

Bilbao Baggins predicted dream draw:

Us, Madrid, Nantes, Prague
Mickeys, Juve, Galatasaray, Leverkusen