Wah we  hit with the chicken and eggs situation.  What to do first.

Do we just teach OSS to our students like OpenOffice.org and Linux
Desktop or server anf then lets the market change.

or

we change the market demand that exist now.

Teaching OSS in school, we did have thats experience during the
implementation of projek perkomputeran makmal sekolah fasa 3 around
years 2005 and 2006. Arafat, Husni, myself and many more in the
project, as a trainer and went to schools around Malaysia teaching the
use of Linux in School labs. We try our best to deliver what is Linux
and how to use it. But, for me, we failed.

We failed because we don't have many knowledge persons that can
supports all the teachers and labs around Malaysia. The OSS had
already landed in our school but what happen during the execution we
lack of experience how to maintain and support the OSS in school.

We don't have local company that can push support and lobbying of OSS
until to the level that, the administration of schools, PTD, Negeri
and Kementerian can see the benefits. LONG TERM benefits.

Yes we can tell government with OSS the cost is free and we are free
as independence from depending on one company.

But what happen with the implementation, its not free. License is free
but implementation still costly. To maintain is also costly. Without
proper support and knowledge workers with OSS, its a lockin. Teachers
need to wait for supports that also don't know about Linux. And what
happen next, PC covert into Windows and dual boot PC only have

Our kerajaan has tried it and they will always will. But I don't want
the cycle failure of this process hits us again and failed us.

We need to come out with a different plan and we need to think outside the box.

How ? How we want to do this, politically winning it and we show the
cost of implementation much more cheaper (ROI)

Where ? In schools or in Universities. Which is which

What ? Desktop or servers or programming

Who? OSS community? We as OSS community need to support this seriuously.

What? What we want to used. Ubuntu ke? OpenSuse ke? FiMOS ke? nanti
distros war lagi.

We as OSS community need to push this. Bukan lagi menyalak, tapi
dengan cara pelaksanaan.