Salam n good day

Years as an ICT personnel before never put some firm reason for me to be
involved in open source development, support open source group etc because
using open source or not, I still can finish my study / work.. doesn't
bother with RM300++ for windows or other proprietary software. Personally I
use windows because I played games,  photo n video editing n such.

But, things had change when I was entitled as 'orang gomen'. Being
in government sector really open my eyes to the expenditure of each penny of
tax payer money or malaysian should say 'duit rakyat'. Something that we
already took for granted as 'duit kerajaan' and without thinking, something
normally cost about RM4 could be charge RM6 because the 'government is
paying'.

But, try to think it very hard. All the tax payers money, in economically
bad scenario such as today, should spend wisely on higher priority area. And
as from my humble opinion, paying RM4 millions to buy a proprietary system
is not worth it for malaysian as we can build the system ourselves. And so,
the RM4 mil can go to other sector such as health care, medicine, better
roads, education etc...

As a system developer in government sector urges me to use open source,
built system with lower cost and find solutions for each and every problem
arose during implementation so that each penny saved from my effort could go
to even more significant sector. For that reason, I never emphasize on OS
comparison, which is better and which is not.

It is about what we should do and put our effort on. IMHO, Using open source
is the best for government as we could saved millions ringgit of duit rakyat
just by develop our own system using open source.

"the RM 4500.00  server is running on linux, web on apache, db on mysql,
> language is php n javascript.

my salary is less than RM40K/year and all that  is very far from RM200 k
> spent for license n maintenance each year if we bought the system"

"Rasulullah s.a.w. bersabda yang bermaksud:
"Orang Mukmin yang paling sempurna imannya
ialah yang paling baik akhlaknya."
(Hadith Riwayat Ahmad)."