On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 06:31, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To Dana -- you might want to try Firefox if possible -- that's what us
>> dev's use the most, so it is the most reliable for using the notebook.
>>   Just to emphasize this, note that I think right now everybody who
>> has done much work on the notebook in the last few months is using
>> Linux, and Safari isn't available on Linux, so Firefox as a notebook
>> client tends to be more well tested.
>>
>>  -- William
>
> It might help if the notebook produced valid HTML. The last time  I
> checked, with the online W3C validator
>
> http://validator.w3.org/
>
> the notebook was not producing clean HTML file. There are several
> browers in semi-common use now
>
>  * Internet Explorer
>  * Firefox
>  * Safari
>  * Google Chrome
>
> By producing valid HTML, the notebook should work with any of them.

I'm guessing you haven't done much AJAX programming.  The notebook
involves many thousands of lines of Javascript (much in third party
libraries like jsmath, jquery, TinyMCE, etc.).  There is much more
going on than just HTML.

Having the HTML that the notebook server generators be valid would be
nice.  However, doing so isn't going to ensure that "the notebook
should work with any of them".  I wish it were so simple.

 -- William