On 16 February 2010 07:25, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:54 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
>> On 16 February 2010 06:31, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> To Dana -- you might want to try Firefox if possible -- that's what us
>>> dev's use the most, so it is the most reliable for using the notebook.
>>>   Just to emphasize this, note that I think right now everybody who
>>> has done much work on the notebook in the last few months is using
>>> Linux, and Safari isn't available on Linux, so Firefox as a notebook
>>> client tends to be more well tested.
>>>
>>>  -- William
>>
>> It might help if the notebook produced valid HTML. The last time  I
>> checked, with the online W3C validator
>>
>> http://validator.w3.org/
>>
>> the notebook was not producing clean HTML file. There are several
>> browers in semi-common use now
>>
>>  * Internet Explorer
>>  * Firefox
>>  * Safari
>>  * Google Chrome
>>
>> By producing valid HTML, the notebook should work with any of them.
>
> I'm guessing you haven't done much AJAX programming.  The notebook
> involves many thousands of lines of Javascript (much in third party
> libraries like jsmath, jquery, TinyMCE, etc.).  There is much more
> going on than just HTML.

But the browser does not see what generates the code - only that the
document claims to be HTML 4.01 strict, but it is not.

> Having the HTML that the notebook server generators be valid would be
> nice.  However, doing so isn't going to ensure that "the notebook
> should work with any of them".  I wish it were so simple.
>
>  -- William

But invalid web pages are quite likely to cause different behaviour
with different browsers, which can not be a good thing given there at
least 4 browsers in common use today.

dave