Thanks raf and everyone for the advice, its really helpful.

I will now reduce their ability to key scaling on the majority of the rig.
I will also try to code my way around it, problem is I don't know c++ so
I'm stuck with python which I doubt will be able to save me when it comes
to slow keying.

I did test in 2014 btw, and it is a bit faster, but its still massively
slow.

I've sent the scene to Autodesk, we still have a year on Subscription so
hopefully they can send us a QFE