I agree with Francois, little steps, start with the simple stuff, from
modelling and animation, rigging (SOPs specially) and lighting, then move into
VEX and VFX also in chunks, fluids, pyro, then particles and last DOPs
(dynamics) which is where the meat is.

With regards with Redshift, I really hope so.

Regarding freelance work... you will have less competition for a high end
market that is desperate for talent. How does it sound?

;)

jb