> Hi Jeron,

I hear you.  Before I was hit with NMO I was a distance walker.  It was my
absolute passion and I always did between 6-10 miles every day.  It was my
medicine, my high.  I hiked, rode horses, worked with animals both domestic
and wild.  In one fell swoop it was all over.  Very tough for me to deal
with.

Like you, I am now going though my journey of illness without my family, and
that is by CHOICE.  No one knows what it's like to be in my skin as no two
people perceive quality of life in the same way.  My children and ex husband
of 35 years, know that I'm ill with NMO and that it's serious---but that is
all that they know.  I will admit to being very open with my best friend.
Why her and not the family?  Because she *gets* me.  She doesn't pity me.
(God bless her for that.)  Whenever I am hospitalised I do not usually tell
my family, and if my children happen to become aware, I do NOT allow them to
see me.  There is no way that I want them to ever see me flat on my back
paralyzed with catheters hanging out of my neck.  My two daughters (I also
have a son, but he was in Denver at the time.) witnessed that scene five
years ago whenever I first got hit and it traumatized them.  So did the
first year and a half whenever my older daughter had to move in with my
youngest and I in order to care for me.  I talk to them frequently on the
phone and see my youngest often as she is still currently living in the area
while her husband it deployed.  That being said, I do not allow my illness
to ever enter into their lives.  Others may choose to do things differently,
but that is their own personal choice.  If I am ever depressed and/or feel
the need to cry---and that's something that I rarely do---I do
it privately.

My reasons may be different from yours, but for now it seems that we have
chosen the same path, and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

The best,
Grace