On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:49:00 -0500 "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
> DAVEH:
> > I don't (can't) want to speak for Blaine, but you may
> > be underestimating what I read and don't read.  I have
> > already read a fair amount of anti-LDS material.
> > ... at the moment, I have more on my plate than I can
> > consume......and I have a voracious appetite!
>
> Dave, I have expressed to you that this book is the smoking gun with
> regard
> to the LDS world view.  It clearly shows Joseph Smith to be a fraud,
> not by
> rhetoric, but by pointing the reader to hard scientific facts.
> There is
> some rhetoric, especially toward the end of the book, but the bulk
> of it
> simply presents many facts in a readable way that tells the story of
> the
> Book of Abraham and the discovery of the original documents from
> which
> Joseph Smith worked.
>
> The problem is that rational Mormons who consider this evidence
> either leave
> Mormonism or they realize that it is a false religion but find
> solace in the
> idea that it is the best of all religions which are all simply
> fraternities
> of men.  It would be like someone proving the Bible to be a hoax,
> what would
> we all do?  I would ditch the Bible and any church that claimed the
> Bible
> was the inerrant Word of God.
>
> What is puzzling to us is how you and Blaine so nonchalantly dismiss
> this
> book without reading it.  You are offered it free of charge with
> only the
> requirement that you read it.  Yet, you show a curious lack of
> concern about
> it.  If someone offered me a free book about how the Bible is
> exposed as a
> fraud, claiming that it would seriously challenge my worldview about
> the
> Bible, then I would readily accept such an offer.  I would be eager
> to read
> such a book if it were recommended by you as the smoking gun that
> exposed
> mainstream Christianity as a hoax.  You and Blaine do not have this
> attitude
> of openness, so it seems to us a reason how you guys can let
> yourselves be
> deceived by Mormonism.  Obviously, if you only look at evidence
> through the
> positive and sanitized viewpoint of the LDS church, you are opening
> yourself
> up to deception if there is deception in that church.  This is what
> happened
> in Roman Catholicism and accounts for much of the error that they
> fell into.
> It appears that Mormonism is repeating their history.

Blainer)  It also appears DavidM is pressuring us to read something that
is far more important to him than it is to us.  I often refuse to do
something if I am being pressured.  What about you, Dave?  If it were not
so terribly important to DavidM that we read this book, I might read it,
I just hate being pressured.
We defer to these guys all the time as to what we discuss, and we respect
their right to ignore something, which they do constantly, day in and day
out.
  But apparently this is not going to happen for us.  I think this is the
third or fourth time you, DaveH, have told them to back off.  What I
wonder is why they are so insistent.   I think they just finally found
what they THINK is an ace in the hole, and they are so anxious to play
that card!!  I am actually having fun resisting!    LOL