David Miller wrote:

> DAVEH wrote:
> > This is one thing I find unpalatable. I have sent several
> > books to a couple of TTers at their request with no
> > conditions. With (perhaps) one exception (He Walked
> > The Americas) I only expect that they wanted them
> > to use in arguments against me and my beliefs.
>
> The difference is that you know that I believe strongly in reading material
> from both sides.  You have heard how I have purchased materials from a
> pro-Mormon position as I have been investigating Mormonism for the last four
> years or so.  Therefore, you know that I will read it without having to ask
> me to read it.  You guys, on the other hand, seem to think it is a sin to
> read the other side.

DAVEH:  I see you are not immune to telling me what I believe either, DavidM.  Did you
not read my post that explained that I have a few anti-Mormon books in my library?

> DaveH wrote:
> > In return I am chastised for not accepting a book
> > intended to be detrimental to my beliefs when it is
> > only offered IF I will promise to read it.
>
> The purpose in me sending you the book is so that we can discuss it.

DAVEH:  Like I have previously said....my purpose for being in TT is not to discuss
the pros and cons of Mormonism.  But I have said that I will answer anybody's
questions about it to the best of my understanding.

> We
> can't discuss it if you don't read it.

DAVEH:  Sure we can.  If you have a question, just ask.  I may or may not know the
answer, but will answer to the best of my ability according to my understanding.

>  It's not like me sending you a
> Bible, which would be more analogous to you sending me the Standard Works.
> A positive book like the Bible will one day be picked up and help someone.
> This book is something I want to discuss with you and Blaine right now.  Do
> you understand the difference?

DAVEH:  Sure.  Do you have a specific question about it?  Or do you just wish to use
it to bash LDS theology or my beliefs?

> DaveH wrote:
> > Yes Blaine, like you I am not one who enjoys being
> > pushed into a corner. If I find the book in my 'travels'
> > someday, I will likely purchase it and peruse it at my
> > convenience as the Spirit directs. I have a few such
> > anti-Mormon books and do not feel uncomfortable
> > having them in my library. But I don't like having them
> > stuffed down throat though.  This is one offer that seems
> > like a one-way street. If I accept the book from DavidM
> > and don't end up leaving the LDS Church, then all 'hell'
> > is going to reign down on my head. Thanx, but no thanx.
>
> Is this your pride speaking?

DAVEH:  I don't think so.  I'm getting 'old' now, and have less interest in life in
battling every foe.   I tend to choose my battles with a bit more discretion than I
did when I was younger.  I have a finite amount of time and prefer to spend some of it
outside the confines of TT.  As I said before, my current interests involve learning
what you (and other Protestants) believe instead of defending what I believe.

>  I think you misunderstand my intentions.

DAVEH:  LOL.......I don't think so, DavidM.  But in case that I have.....what are they?

> Iwant to discuss FACTS with you.

DAVEH:  Ahhhhhhh.....In that case, I would be very interested in knowing if you
believe our Heavenly Father currently has a body of flesh and bones?  (I think you
have previously stated that you believe Jesus has a physical body, is that correct?)

>  How can I discuss facts unless you read
> something which presents the facts to you?

DAVEH:  Did you mean "purported facts"?   ;-)

    Do you ever run into folks who have not read the Bible?  If not, does that prevent
you from discussing it with them?

>  This book has the first
> published full color photographs of the Joseph Smith papyri collection.

DAVEH:  I have them as well.

>  It
> contains the entire Book of Abraham papyrus

DAVEH:  Really?!?!?!?!  Are you sure, DavidM?    If so, then I may change my mind.
Please send me a copy, if the offer is still open.  However, I will not assure you
that I will read it to the end.  On the other hand, IF it does NOT contain the ENTIRE
BofA papyrus, then why would you make that statement?  Did the author intend to
deceive you?  Or are you trying to deceive me?  Or did you not read the book in its
entirety?

> and the untranslated Book of
> Joseph papyrus.  Do you already have facsimiles of these original documents
> which you consider Scripture in your library?

DAVEH:  No, just the color photos of the collection recovered from the museum in NY.

> Blainer wrote:
> > It also appears DavidM is pressuring us to read something
> > that is far more important to him than it is to us. I often refuse
> > to do something if I am being pressured. What about you,
> > Dave? If it were not so terribly important to DavidM that
> > we read this book, I might read it, I just hate being pressured.
>
> Is this the fruit of Mormonism, no love for your neighbor?

DAVEH:  Are you accusing Blaine or me for not having love for our neighbors?  Or are
you just trying to instigate our anger with that contentious comment?  From what I
have heard Blaine say, I think he is like me.....we don't respond well to high pressure
salesmen.

>  If there was
> something important to you, I would give it more attention, not less.  It
> seems to me, like Glenn has alluded in the past, that you guys are motivated
> by evil spirits rather than love for your neighbor.  You protect your dogma
> at all costs, even at the expense of offending your neighbor.

DAVEH:  OK DavidM, enough of your insinuating comments.  Who have I offended?  If I am
not affording other TTers the respect they deserve, I will immediately apologize.  If
you (DavidM) don't have a name of someone offended by my comments, is there
anybody else in TT who feels I have offended them and would like an apology???  As I
have said before, I feel like I'm a guest of TT and am not here to step on toes or
bloody any noses.

    As for your comment that we "are motivated by evil spirits", I respectfully
disagree.  If you want to attack my "dogma" or speak ill of it as others have done on
TT, be my guest.  Jumping down into the mud to wallow with you is not why I am in TT.
Anybody who wants to make disparaging comments about LDS theology will get little more
than "I respectfully disagree" from me.  If you have a sincere question and wish to
discuss LDS theology, I'll respond to the best of my ability.  But please don't try
to drag me into the mire.  I'll leave that pit to those who despise my LDS beliefs.

> Blaine wrote:
> > We defer to these guys all the time as to what we discuss,
> > and we respect their right to ignore something, which they
> > do constantly, day in and day out.
>
> I am not aware of ignoring anything you want to discuss, but I am very aware
> of you ignoring things all the time.  I'm not denying that it happens on
> both sides, only expressing that from my perspective, you guys ignore points
> and I don't.

DAVEH:   :-)

>  It has to do with differing perspectives rather than
> conscience and deliberate action.

DAVEH:  I have ignored upwards of 1000 posts now.  Not because I want to ignore them,
but rather I simply don't have the time to respond or I think their questions are
rhetorical in nature.  If anybody feels I've ignored something that they seriously want
answered, please post your question with 3 questions marks.......???.......and I will
try to make a special effort to respond.

--
Dave Hansen