From: "Matt Hoppes" <mattli...@rivervalleyinternet.net>
To: af@afmug.com
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2017 5:51:57 PM
Subject: Re: [AFMUG] Complaining Employees

I agree on the counseling and mentoring.

Here's my concern - every situation is different. There's no issue that
repeats over and over. Every major issue is a completely different
problem. When presented with the issues at hand, there's always an
excuse for why it happened that way.

EXAMPLE: Sent tech to install a new rack of equipment for high profile
co-lo customer. The ATS (which has words and a screen on it) was
installed and turn-on UPSIDE DOWN in the rack. And the two Cisco
switches, which were in the work order were not turned on.

The excuse was: I didn't notice the ATS was upside down, and I've never
worked with those Ciscos before so I didn't know if they were on or off..

Mind you -- the Cisco's have very large fans and lights... This
resulted in having to dispatch a second tech a second time to finish
turning things on.

If it's issues at home -- I understand they can carry over... but I
can't have that. In the WISP world (And this has been explained to said
tech) there is no room for mistakes. Mistakes kill. When I'm up the
tower and he is hoisting the rope with an antenna on it -- there are NO
mistakes. And oh heck no, I wouldn't let him go up a tower currently.

Another time it was crashing the company van into a mailbox on the side
of a road, he didn't tell me about it until I questioned him about a
mark on the vehicle. He said, "there's a mark?", I said yes, and the
mirror is broken. "Oh, I grazed a mailbox." Were you going to tell me
about it? "No, it was minor and I figured you were pretty busy with
other things."

LIKE WHAT?!?!? There have been multiple times I have bit my pink pad
as I wanted to fire on the spot... but I also know youth comes with
irresponsibility and I want to try to help him. But when is enough enough?