OK, I will take this point by point...

Robin Bowes Wrote:

> I'm afraid you are wrong in so many ways.

If so, I'm happy to learn something.

> A digital signal does not have periodicity - it is just a stream of
> bits. It is sent over analogue transmission paths as a square wave.

In this case it *is* periodic, as you can see from my example of the
digitized sine wave.  I think perhaps there is a confusion about the
term square wave - to me that means simply a signal which oscillates
from one level to the other, with sharp transitions, and with a fixed
exact periodicity.  That of course contains zero information - at best
it corresponds to one particular stream of bits.  A general digital
signal oscillates back anf forth, but it is something like
0111000101010011 or whatever, and is square only in the sense that the
voltage takes two values only.

> The receiver of the signal decodes the square-wave signal and also
> extracts the timing information from the same signal.
>
> As Pat as already pointed out, jitter is caused by errors in detecting
> the transition between 1 and 0 in the square wave in the analogue
> domain, which causes timing errors. So, the space between samples
> varies
> from the "standard" (for 44.1kHz sample rate)1/1,411,200 of a second.
> This means that the analogue signal reconstituted from the digital
> signal has different frequency content than the original input signal.
> R.

Yes, that is the basic point about jitter.  What I thought we were
discussing is HOW the analogue signal you end up with differs from the
original.  In other words, what is the spectrum of the "noise" - the
extra stuff which has been added by jitter?  Your original claim
(perhaps I misunderstood you) was that that spectrum is determined by
the original music.  It turns out that claim is partly correct, as I
was trying to explain.

--
opaqueice