Hi Adrien- that's totally fair. There are probably better places for
the additional content I'm proposing. A couple things along these
lines:

1. Do you think it would be worth linking this guide from the JIRA
message (maybe after updating it)?
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/lucene/HowToContribute. It
could be a nice hook for new users to learn more (and it's what we
link from our README). Maybe it would make the message too long
though?
2. I just put up a very brief PR to add my proposed "friendly message"
to the README before linking off to the above-mentioned guide:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/318.

Back to your original proposal though, I'll add my +1 as I think it's
a big improvement from the current messaging. Thanks for bringing this
up!

Cheers,
-Greg