On Thu, 14 Feb 2002, Brad Hards wrote:

> Also, if you really need serious mail support, and are worried about
> speed, one idea:
> https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2002-January/002666.html

If you are really serious about mail system performance, the first thing
you'd do is replace obtuse smtpd with qmail-smtpd, and I haven't noticed
anyone here talking about doing that (although we have had one direct
enquiry, but for other reasons).

> I think that the key issue (which has been mentioned before) is that you can
> upgrade ext2->ext3 in place.

As I believe I've said before, that is enough for us for us to choose
ext3. Anyone here is of course free to do whatever they choose, but it's
very unlikely that we'll use a JFS other than ext3.

Did Ted make any comments about the problems with ext3 plus RAID under the
2.2.x kernel? I've found references to problems, but no discussion of
whether they are fixable or not.

Lead Product Developer
Network Server Solutions Group        http://www.e-smith.com/
Mitel Networks Corporation            http://www.mitel.com/
Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739