> From: Charlie Brady [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> If you are really serious about mail system performance, the first thing
> you'd do is replace obtuse smtpd with qmail-smtpd, and I haven't noticed
> anyone here talking about doing that (although we have had one direct
> enquiry, but for other reasons).

Most of my email is from individuals to business groups so the
bulk of delivery time goes into writing many copies of each
message.  The queuing/parsing of the sent copy is not important.
Also most of my users currently run pop and don't let their
mailboxes accumulate a lot of messages.  However, there are
good reasons to switch to imap with everything on the server.
A combination of qmail and imap is certain to result in thousands
of files per directory and a lot of directory operations per second,
something ext2/3 don't handle well.

> As I believe I've said before, that is enough for us for us to choose
> ext3. Anyone here is of course free to do whatever they choose, but it's
> very unlikely that we'll use a JFS other than ext3.

Backwards compatibility is the bane of all computing...  However there
is a real issue with using a filesystem that doesn't ship in the stock
kernel in that someday there may be a security issue discovered that
you need to fix immediately and the kernel version with the fix doesn't
have your filesystem integrated yet.

> Did Ted make any comments about the problems with ext3 plus RAID under the
> 2.2.x kernel? I've found references to problems, but no discussion of
> whether they are fixable or not.

I think if you disclosed the problems of ext2, or did some testing
with crashes on a busy system yourself to see it, both you and your
customers would want to jump to a 2.4.x kernel for anything used
for file service even if it meant keeping another box around for
the firewall/gateway.  But, I agree that it is not an easy choice
and I haven't switched all of my servers yet either.

   Les Mikesell
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]