On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:03, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Does this mean 'fixed' as in it won't crash and burn, or as
> in making it something you actually want to do? Most unix
AFAIK, "fixed" as in doesn't suck, performance wise, except as needed by the
synchronous behaviour. It probably isn't going to be as good as reiserfs,
since reiser is heavily optimised for small files. There are reports for
reiserfs that certain patterns are a lot worse than ext3, and vice versa.

> filesystems must do a linear scan of an entire directory
> when you create a new file to check if it already exists, and
> they have to keep the inode locked for the duration.  They also
> generally don't ever shrink directories so the scan has to
> cover the deleted entries of the largest set of files that
> have ever been there.  The author of the UW IMAP server claims
> that it is not practical to store one message per file, hence
> the need to use the patched version that supports the maildir
> format. ReiserFS uses btrees for directories so the search scales
> much better and I think XFS uses some sort of directory hashing.
> Either should be much better for that kind of use, and XFS has
> the advantage of ACLs that samba can map to match NT settings.
ACLs will likely be provided by most of the filesystems in the near future.
Ted indicated that it was definately on the to-do for ext3. I don't remember
all of the talk - it should be up on http://linux.conf.au pretty soon though.

I guess it is important to remember that these systems are not interchangeable
from a functionality point of view. "journalling" means different things to
different people, and hence what gets journalled varies. Try:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-fs7/

Also, if you really need serious mail support, and are worried about speed,
one idea:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2002-January/002666.html

I think that the key issue (which has been mentioned before) is that you can
upgrade ext2->ext3 in place.  The performance deltas are pretty minor
(especially given that we probably aren't talking about a lot of load in most
applications where SMEserver is being used).

Brad