From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:fairfieldl...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of authfriend
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 7:53 AM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Sorry Judy
I think Obama is as progressive as he can get away with being. He's too
radical for some people; not radical enough for others. I think he had a
sense of how far he could push things and still get elected. Folks like Ron
Paul and Dennis Kucinich are great for getting progressive ideas out there,
but they don't stand a chance of getting elected and actually being able to
act on those ideas.
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:FairfieldLife%40yahoogroups.com> , "raunchydog" <raunchy...@...>
wrote:
<snip>
> Conventional wisdom says Obama was elected because
> he "transcended race." Hogwash. If it hadn't been
> for MLK and LBJ and LAWS that forbid discrimination,
> and segregation, and many years of government and
> media effort to improve race relations, Obama would
> never have had a chance at the presidency.

Don't forget Jesse Jackson, who was an activist for
civil rights before Obama was even born and broke
the ground Obama would later use to his own
advantage, by making two very respectable runs
for the Democratic nomination himself, with no
nonsense about "transcending race."

As I said to OK earlier, it's no wonder Obama
distanced himself from Jackson. Obama's record of
accomplishments and his stands on progressive issues
are pathetic compared to Jackson's:

http://www.rainbowpush.org/about/revjackson.html

http://www.4president.org/brochures/jessejackson1984brochure.htm

http://tinyurl.com/os3wr6

<snip>
> The Equal Rights for Women Amendment was first
> proposed in 1923, it is still not part of the U.S.
> Constitution.

Ratifying the ERA was a plank in Jackson's platform
both times he ran.