On 2015-08-04 13:01, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 8:33 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
...Which would be totally fine and gets us back to the point Daniel and I were
discussing: a release compliance team (horrible name, I know) as part of ASF....
IMO it's not a team that's needed, just a clear and "modular" release checklist.

By modular I mean something like our maturity model [1] where each
item is atomic and numbered so one could say "this release doesn't
comply with RM-42" and everybody knows what it's about.

And there's no inventing new checklist items unless they are approved
by the PMC who owns the checklist.

IMO the Incubator PMC can very much own this checklist, and I
volunteer to contribute to creating it.

We do have a starting point at
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release.html but the release
checklist might need more explanations, as footnotes, and its own page
to keep the noise low.

Hi Bertrand,
If interested, I would very much like to work with you on perhaps turning this into a sort of 'online compliance check' where podlings could upload a tarball or some such, and the service would scan it for compliance, go through the checklist, and report back which elements are compliant and which are not. I think that this, while not being 100% accurate, would save a lot of time and aggravation when dealing with the initial release candidates, and save us a lot of time by automating what we tend to spend quite a lot of time doing manually.

This won't solve everything, but it would really cut down on the time that is, in my opinion, wasted on getting a release through the IPMC, while still retaining the policies and rules we need in order to comply with our legal requirements.

With regards,
Daniel.