I had the same issue with Alien Swarm. But not only is the Alien Swarm source code a hard coded mess, it constantly tries to get games statistics or authorisations from the steam server!!! What's the point of leaving that in? I could put up with that, but there is no documentation, even if its based on the same engine as the source sdk, lots of things differ. However, I must say ASw was an improvement, in the sense that there is only one codebase(unlike source 2006-2007-2009) and it's easy to keep it up to date.

-----Original Message----- From: Harry Jeffery
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2010 3:05 PM
To: Discussion of Half-Life Programming
Subject: Re: [hlcoders] Remember June 2006?

A scratch sdk option for the Alien Swarm code would be nice. I looked
through the code with an intent to mod it but the alienswarm specific
stuff got in the way so much. I just gave up on it as there was no
easy way to remove the alienswarm stuff without going through
thousands of inter-dependencies.