Regarding some of the anti-American sentiment I've seen expressed on this list in recent weeks, here's a quote from a speech Tony Blair gave today:

"I am not surprised by anti-Americanism, but it is a foolish indulgence. For all their faults, and all nations have them, the US are a force for good; they have liberal and democratic traditions of which any nation can be proud. I sometimes think it is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: are people trying to get into it or out of it? It's not a bad guide to what sort of country it is."

Sarah