Hi Jerry, you wrote:

> Interestingly, that is a conservative, not liberal, axiom.

I've always regarded it as a somewhat tradtional/historical American axiom.
The founders of the country philosophically were not keen on "foreign
involvements."  But it can also be considered conservative in the sense that
it is a sort of traditionally cultural American bent.  Historically, we had
to be dragged into most wars.  However, I only put forth the isolationist
feeling among myself and my friends as just a knee-jerk reaction to the
America bashers and not as a consistent ideology.  Some get to the point
where they hear so much that other countries want the U.S. to butt out and
then they blame the U.S. for all their troubles, that it's kind of a natural
reaction to say, "O.K. let's leave them all alone, then."

 >One of the loudest voices opposing our involvement in Iraq is Pat
Buchanan. He can hardly be
> considered a "lefty."

I consider Buchanan a complete statist idealogue and that is why he has
always disturbed and turned me off.  I think he lives on another planet
sometimes!

> The traditional Isolationists in American History have been conservative.

That is true - nearly all the engagements of Americans in the wars of the
20th century were initiated by Liberals, not Republicans.  But recall that
Churchill was a Conservative, too.

> Even to the point of accusing President Roosevelt of orchestrating the
attack on Pearl Harbor to get us into
> World War Two.

I have heard the stories that he knew of intelligence before the attack and
did nothing to avert it but I don't pass much judgment on that.  In the case
of WWII I firmly believe it was right for Americans to participate.
Interestingly I happened to read an article by Christopher Hitchens today
where he accused Churchill of making deals with the Japanese and Germans to
attack the U.S. so that the U.S. would have to become involved.  Kind of
wild.

>That said, there is a difference between being Anti-war and Isolationism.

What do you think it is?  I think both stances are concerned with wanting
peace and self-preservation and not aggravating situations.

Kakki