On Monday 14 Dec 2009 05:26:21 Jonathan Rockway wrote:
> * On Fri, Dec 11 2009, Rene Schickbauer wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> >> I think a discussion about the why's could be interesting and
> >> insightful - unfortunately I have to agree that the posts above are
> >> mostly about influencing and not much about truth seeking.  Is that
> >> ever possible?
> >
> > I don't think so. Everyone thinks and works a little different. So, a
> > feature in a software could be THE feature for one but the killer bug
> > for someone else.
> >
> > This is similar to "Whats the best editor?" or "Whats the best
> > operating system?"... Countless flamewars have been fought (and lost)
> > over questions like that.
>
> In my experience, ask anyone why they use their favorite editor, and the
> answer is usually "because I learned this one first" or "because I wrote
> this one".  Nobody has ever answered "because I made a chart of editors
> versus features I desired, tested each one, and the one I chose had the
> most checkboxes".  Just sayin'; like favorite colors, favorite editors
> and favorite pieces of Perl code are mostly irrational emotional
> "decisions".

Actually, I didn't use my current programming editor - gvim (
http://www.vim.org/ ) - first. The first editor on UNIX I was comfortable with
was joe - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe%27s_Own_Editor - and this was after
I was flabagasted with vi and couldn't get used to GNU Emacs. joe felt natural
at first.

I also used NEdit on X-Windows, and ended up trying out XFTE -
http://fte.sourceforge.net/ . Then when I studied in the Technion, we had gvim
installed on the Windows NT computer lab's network share, and I grew
accustomed to using it after realising it was configured with ":source
$VIMRUNTIME/mswin.vim" by default which made the transition easier. For a long
time I resented the Linux computer lab for not carrying either vim or gvim
(just a stripped-down version of vim called "vi" that existed on the Red Hat
distribution). In any case, this way I became more accustomed to vim, learned
more tricks and features there, and it is now my power editor.

Furthermore, on a few occasions I tried to use XEmacs and could never get
myself used to it. It always throws a weird error at me, or expects some
obscure keybinding that is never present on the screen, or something. I don't
claim it's a bad editor, just that I could never get used to it, despite
having tried.

So it's not true that I'm using gvim because that's what I've learned first.
Maybe I'm an exception, but we need a scientific survey here to see what is
the exception and what is the rule. I know and heard about several people who
switched from Emacs to Vim or vice-versa, so old habits can eventually die.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> (My answer, FWIW, is "because I learned this one first", but I steal
> features from the other editors whenever possible.  The ease of which
> this is possible leads me to believe that I made the right choice, but I
> am just as irrational as anyone else.)
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan Rockway
>
> --
> print just => another => perl => hacker => if $,=$"

Bzr is slower than Subversion in combination with Sourceforge.
( By: http://dazjorz.com/ )