Mel:

High quality post. I especially liked your observations about 1) how
government meddling prolonged the great depression and 2) the moral aspect
of pain. The latter was specifically noted by Pirsig:

"If you eliminate suffering from this world you eliminate life. There's no
evolution. Those species that don't suffer don't survive. Suffering is the
negative face of the Quality that drives the whole process." (Lila,29)

Platt