"Brian M. Sperlongano" <zelonew...@gmail.com> writes:

> I would caution against hyper-simplifying the combativeness of the mailing
> lists as "cultural differences". I can think of several German participants
> on Slack and Discord that dispel this stereotype.  Similarly, I can think
> of several American commenters who are notoriously abrasive on the mailing
> lists.

+1 to Brian's comment.  Going further, I think a "we are having problems
from cultural differences" is more than an over-simplification -- I
think it is basically an incorrect conclusion.

I lived in a dorm that had about 25% people from US/Canada (which I know
aren't the same place but they aren't so far off culturally :-) and 75%
from a very large number of other countries.  For a year I served as
dorm president and thus had a clearer view of conflicts.  My experience
was that people mostly got along, and when they didn't, it was almost
always because some individuals were just fundamentally unkind and
unreasonable.  It didn't matter what country they came from; I knew nice
people and jerks from many countries (although nice or nice-enough
people were the overwhelming majority).  Yes, there were some obvious
differences in degree of directness, but those were not the problems.  I
have seen this same pattern in the online world -- it is 90%+ about
individuals and how they approach others, not about national culture.

I have also participated in NetBSD, and there too most people try to
work together to achieve project goals despite differences.  I can think
of several problematic people over the years -- surely the same as any
other project if you knew the details -- and for obvious reasons I won't
give any details.  But I will say that I know which countries they are
from, that I also know many people from those same countries that are
courteous and constructive, and that I don't think the problems are
about national culture -- they are firmly individual.

So I would say that the biggest issue is that some people are just not
trying to be collaborative and are the kind of basically unkind people
that I would avoid entirely in offline life.  The second biggest issue
is a practice of giving a very short blunt opinion with no willingness
to try to communicate the subtleties -- and I mean this over the medium
term, rather than condemning anyone for a single short email where they
say what they think succinctly.

As for strongly-held beliefs about licensing, I think that's perfectly
ok.  (IMHO we believe in open data, and a lot flows from that ethically,
but I realize not everybody sees it that way.)  I also don't see that as
the core cause of uncivility.

What we really need is for people to be at least civil if not
courteous.  That can't really be done with rules; it can only be done in
my experience by shunning a few individuals, and trying to lead by
example.