DAVEH wrote:
> Wow!!!   So whether or not (as Kevin is questioning) Jeff
> understood the pastor's reply correctly, there are actually
> Christians who believe God created people specifically
> to burn in hell to glorify Him. (Have I got that right,
> DavidM?)

Yes, that is correct.  The Calvinists believe in "Limited Atonement,"
meaning that they do not believe that Jesus died for everyone.  They
claim that Jesus died only for the Elect.

There are five points of Calvinism which are represented by the acronym
TULIP.  I did a quick search for you, and here is one link that seems to
explain it:
http://www.mslick.com/tulip.htm

DaveH wrote:
> Now I wonder if there are any TTers who subscribe
> to such thinking.  But I bet nobody is going to
> admit it to me, even if they do believe such.

I think most on TT shy away from Calvinism, but there are some here who
embrace much of it.  Bruce Murch is a street preacher who use to be on
the list who is a Calvinist.  He hosts a website BBS where there are
other Calvinists at www.FullQuiverMission.com  Click on the Discussion
Board and if you can't find a topic you like, you can create your own.
I will warn you that it is a Christian list, so you might get booted off
just for being Mormon.  I think Bruce is somewhat open to discussion,
but he has kicked off quite a few pagans and other non-Christians.  To
tell you the truth, I'm kind of curious as to whether he would allow a
polite Mormon such as yourself there, or whether he would boot you off
just because you are Mormon.  I suppose you could always lurk if you
didn't want to get the boot.  :-)  I don't think he ever kicks off
lurkers.

DaveH wrote:
> However......I wonder if he represents mainline Reformed
> thought.  From the sound of his ministry, he may be as
> much an oddball as many TTers!   ;-)

No, he is not as oddball as many of us.  He is part of the
establishment.  He went to seminary, has a doctorate, is a seminary
professor, and is an elder in a Reformed Baptist Church in Arizona.  His
Reformed Doctrine is very orthodox as far as Reformed Doctrine goes.

DaveH wrote:
> I assume you know him, DavidM?

I have met him and I have written back and forth with him via private
email.  He is not too friendly toward me.  :-)

DaveH wrote:
> Does he (his preaching) mesh well with other
> Protestants and popular Protestant beliefs?

He takes a strong stand on the side of Calvinism.  He has been a big
influence upon many who I have ministered to such that I have been in
the position of trying to conduct damage control.  :-)  So he meshes
with other Calvinists very well, but he debates those who are not
Calvinist.  For example, his latest book will be a written debate with
Dave Hunt, a well known and established Protestant author.

DaveH wrote:
> I assume you have invited him to join TT?

LOL. No, that would be kind of like inviting the pope to join TT.  :-) I
have invited him to try and work with the Street Preachers and help
train us in theology, but he refuses as he thinks we are way off base.

DAVEH wrote:
> I find it interesting to hear of a SP who agrees
> with me on that.

Ooops!  No, James White is NOT a street preacher.  He hates street
preachers.  He mocks them and derides them on his radio program.

DaveH wrote:
> Is JW a lonesome voice on this, or are there many
> more who support his concerns about the image of
> Christianity being affected by actions like those
> that take place in SLC?

Almost EVERYONE in mainline Protestant churches rejects the public
ministry of street preaching.  The establishment has always been against
public ministry in that it is always considered undignified by the
generation in which it is practiced.  This was true in Jesus' time, and
it is true now.

DAVEH wrote:
> I've heard the term, but know virtually nothing
> about it.  Does Calvinism have a big foothold in
> Reformed theology?

The phrase "Reformed Theology" today is generally equivalent to
Calvinism.  When you hear it, you should think predestination, election,
once-saved-always-saved, etc.

DaveH wrote:
> Do we have any/many TTers who are Calvinist?

We have had some, but I think most of them have left.  I often
correspond with past members who now consider themselves Calvinists.  It
is interesting how Calvinists always seem to leave this list.  :-)

DAVEH wrote:
> I'm sure my perspective on this is a bit skewed, but
> when I think of Presbyterians, I get the impression
> they really aren't as mainline as churches like the
> Baptists, Methodists and Lutherans.  Are the Ps
> considered to be fringe Christians due to the fringe
> practices (with regard to gay acceptance) that border
> on heretical?

The Presbyterians are fragmented so that some of their sects, like the
PCA (Presbyterian Church in America), are very conservative and condemn
homosexuality.  Presbyterians are certainly mainline, perhaps more so
than the Baptists and Methodists which generally are more recent in
origin.

It seems to me that the more mainline and traditional a Christian group
is, the more apostate they become.  Of the Protestants, the
Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Anglicans (Episcopalians) go back the
furthest and they seem to be the ones opening the door to all manner of
apostate ideas, such as homosexuality.  Splinter groups such as the
Mormons, Churches of Christ, Methodists, etc. see the problems and
create their own sects in an attempt to restore or repair the problems.
Then they themselves head down the same road of apostasy.

DAVEH wrote:
> Ahhhhhh.....now I see why/how the pastor could/would
> have said what he did.  Hmmm......apparently the
> supralapsarians believe in a pre-existance similar
> to LDS folks....is that correct?

No. They believe in ELECTION.  In other words, God planned the fall and
orchestrated it in order to damn the sinners to eternal destruction.
This supposedly glorifies God in that it shows his utter sovereignty and
power of rule such that we are what we are because of Him.  They object
to any other idea because it would mean that God is not in complete
control.  If God is not in complete control, then in their minds he is a
weak God.

The extreme opposing viewpoint to this is called "open theism."  Jed
Smock is a campus preacher in this camp (www.brojed.org).  Jed would say
that God does not know the future; therefore, God is not omniscient,
omnipotent, etc.  A Calvinist would say that God knows every choice that
every man, woman and child will make, whereas an open theist like Jed
would say that God does not know for sure what we will choose.  Jed
would say that God might make an intelligent prediction about what we
would choose based upon his knowledge of us, but the will is free and
sometimes the choice of a man might surprise God.

It seems to me that the crux of the debate about Calvinism and Open
Theism boils down to assumptions about time.  Did God create time or is
time an eternal thing that has always existed just as God has?  Does God
exist within time or outside of time?  Does God exist in the future and
the present at the same time?

DAVEH wrote:
> Sounds like something you might subscribe to, DavidM.
> Are you in their camp?

No, I am not a Calvinist.  I am Arminian.  If you read the works of
Jacobus Arminius, that would be very close to my views about
predestination, election, and free will.  You can download his works in
PDF format for free at:
http://www.ccel.org/a/arminius/

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.