Hello Everyone,

My name is Ramona Thornton and I am the "program manager" for the jobs
program, its "leadership" has changed many hands, but the "program
manager" is still trying to make a difference.  I have been "watching"
this board for quite some time now. I think I can shed some light on a
couple of issues that have been coming up recently.
First of all I don't "see" any racist people on this group I only "see"
frustrated intelligent individuals that are having problems wrapping
their minds around so many problems in a 1 mile town.

Someone wise said once .. don't bring the problem to the table without
bringing the start of the solution! (My Grandmother at her dinner
table!) So here goes....

The "Jobs" program in Asbury WAS alive and well through an initiative
called the Construction Connection. Supported by the City and the
Resource Center in Asbury Park.

The city has sponsored 28 people through this connection. Interfaith
Neighbors has sponsored 2 that are currently working on the Springwood
Center and have been since the beginning.

I am going to tell a story now about 2 them .... Approximately a year
ago there was a meeting at city hall for anyone who was interested in a
weatherization/construction training program sponsored by the DCA. We
went into Neptune and Asbury Park to inform the "residents" of this
opportunity ... pack filled rooms .. but they needed to have a certain
grade level (it was not 12th grade either), get a hold of their HS
Diploma, demonstrate by action that they were serious about this
opportunity and have an "obtainable" license (If they had a suspended
license because of fines and if the number was low enough that they
could "obtain" a valid license within 1 or 2 paychecks they were not
excluded).

We identified ONE HUNDRED and EIGHTEEN eligible residents ... only HALF
came to be  interviewed by the training team ... they were drug tested
... only ONE came up dirty.

We had the training facility MOVED from Freehold to LONG BRANCH because
of transportation issues ... TWENTY showed up the first day of
class..... TWELVE showed up the second day of class ... and that 12
graduated.

118  to 12 ... WOW ...

Among them were the 2 individuals that are working on the Springwood
Avenue project .
We monitor our recommendations to businesses on a weekly basis ... NO
problems were reported ... they weren't late ... they weren't
disrespectful ... they went on to get several certificates .. so they
could continue to work on the project.

The young men have families ... brand new babies ...not baby mama's but
families.
One works out regularly at the PAL on his promising boxing career.

The other  WAS successfully completing the steps to become a city
fireman, passed the written test,  passed the physical, he was also the
individual that was shot in the head last week! He was coming home from
work .. he was ACROSS the STREET when the ruckus started ... he was hit
by a stray bullet! He is ok came out of the hospital yesterday, but has
a lot of physical therapy to do so he can continue on his path to
becoming a fireman. He came by the office yesterday, to tell me thank
you and he understood if his job couldn't be held ... I assured him his
job is waiting for him ... be strong ... get better .. and we will work
it out.

I say this because the Resource Center was Asbury Works (which didn't
turn out so good) ... turned over to the Housing Authority (which didn't
turn out so good) ... and now the "program manager" is starting up again
... because people like Keshawn and Darryl and the 28 others in the
Construction Connection ... and the 45 graduates from the Best Foot
Forward Program (paid work experience from the DOL with 37 documented
positive exits! (positive exit means one of the following happened...
increase in education level and/or getting a GED, unsubsidized
employment, attendance in a secondary school ) deserve someone who will
stop saying ... somebody ought to do something ... to some people who
will show them HOW ... Our case management team is small .. we do what
we can ... we ignore those who call up and say ... "have you got a job
for me yet?" ... and work with the ones who actually show up more than
once every three months and put the work in. Funding is a big issue ..
grants are practically non existent for small non-profits (but readily
available to the big national ones) and they will get even slimmer by
next year.

We have reached out to other businesses, and  we "understand" the
feedback of their fears and concerns ... so we initiated "monitors" not
mentors ... monitors and if you have a problem with someone that was
recommended to you .. you have options ... we don't "guarantee" we
"warranty" our recommendations. If you choose the option to fire them
... we document it ... if we can't remedy the problem with the
participant .. they aren't recommended again.

I have been involved with "the problem" since 2006 and I have learned
that it is generational! When asked what their future plans are ... they
have no answer! .. they have no plan! Mom .. Grandma... Aunt .. Uncle
and all 7 cousins still live in town! Asbury Park is a walking town with
an entitlement attitude ... You walk to school .. you walk to the
doctors, dentist, barber, hairstylist, grocery store etc ... but they
call "car service" by driver's name ... pharmacies deliver, food is
delivered ... their highest aspiration is to "get into housing" because
what they have been exposed to is LIMITED. Do you know until recently ..
school trips were all but extinct ... and most are only for the "gifted
and talented" classes. We exposed our participants to job opportunities
in Long Branch and the number of people who said ...how would I get
there? would make you shake your head.

Asbury Park's location in NJ is a barrier ... at least 1 hour away from
"programs" in the big city or in Trenton. Too small in numbers to
actually have the bigger non profits come and help.

Our database is over 1200 strong and 85% of them have some type of
barrier (educational, skill-set, certifications, licenses, emotional
etc) that prohibits them from even wanting to change their
circumstances. 90%  of them don't know how to begin to access the
resources available to them ... oh they know how to text but they don't
know how to fill out an online job application .. and they avoid trying
so they don't get frustrated and feel like failures.

I only can offer a "piece" of the solution ... if anyone else has a
"piece" and is willing to work on it with me ... we can solve the
problem ... Feel free to email me ... and if enough people are
interested I will make available a meeting time and place to put this
frustrating puzzle together.

Thank you for listening.

Ramona Thornton
ramonicos...@yahoo.com

--- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "2fast4u" <sharon_b283@...> wrote:

> I think your ideas are wonderful.  What happened to the
> "Jobs" program Asbury had.  I don't see anyone working
> with the contractor that has the West Side Contract for the
> Senior Center, matter of fact, every time I pass there, no one
> is working!
>
> Your ideas are great and workable.  I hate to say it, but the only
> time anything/programs for the poor/underclass/uneducated/at risk
> in this community, is when an incident takes place.  Social
> problems in this community get glared at, because the "powers that be"
> don't heed the warnings.  Know why I don't partake in the fireworks?
> Because I don't want to be around potential trouble.  I'd be a
> statistic, if anything happened.  I can't run, so I stay far away
> from potential violence.  City Hall had better take heed BEFORE
> something or someone get hurt!

> > to occur. Be ready.<<<
> >
> > Well sharon your points, comments and life experiences (and the
success of raising your family) are well taken.

> > Once again, it's that "be ready...cause trouble is waiting.."
> >
> > That's the scary part  - for lack of better words.
> >
> > So why don't the community leaders - all these organizations that
ARE there to help, take action. Talk to the kids and parents.

> > What are the REAL issues?
> >
> >  - Is it housing
> >  - quality of life
> >  - lack of work - what kind of work would one accept
> >
> > Employment:
> >  - What kind of programs are in place within the city with city and
surrounding employers.

> > For example: Are there any intern programs with Jersey Shore Medical
- between the HS and JS?? If not, why not? Seems like a natural.

> >  - does the city have any interns? How about the chamber of
commerce?
> > How about Madison Marquette. I call them interns, but if the
business can't afford to pay for it, I'd say take it from the school $
or other grant money. The kids can work 25 hours per week, $9 per hour.
That's 225 per week gross. 10 weeks - each kid gets $2250. Take 200
kids. Pennies for such a program. Can you get kids to work $9.00? IS it
worth more to keep them off the street - then go for it. $12 hour?

> >  - how about kids that graduated from AP High? Where did they go,
what are they doing now? Anyone know? Does anyone track their careers?
Can they come back and talk to other kids????

> > What kinds of employment programs exist in the school system with a
$90 million budget.  (as for employment programs, I meant for the kids -
not admin)

> > There is only so much that can be done. You need intelligent people
running these programs and people that want to participate. Without, you
have people making comments like "we gonna burn the place down" or "be
ready".

> > That is what has to be addressed by those who interact with the
local community. And those leaders should be inviting in african
american owned businesses. And those leaders should ensure that if
something is built or renovated on the west side, that bricks don't get
thrown through the windows or lights shattered.

> > Would it make difference if you just gave everyone, and I mean
everyone $1,000,000? Every resident, any color.

> > What do you think?
> >
> > The one that pisses it away after two weeks would be pissed at the
guy who saved it, right?

> > --- In AsburyPark@yahoogroups.com, "2fast4u" <sharon_b283@> wrote:
> > >
> > > My daughter was married by Judge Apostolou.  Her Air Force husband
> > > was relocating to New Mexico to Cannon AFB and he wore his dress
> > > uniform and she, her wedding gown.  He asked them, if it was okay
> > > to introduce them to the "vermin" waiting to be seen and they said
okay.  "He is serving Uncle Sam and this flower, has agreed to join