Pardon?

> Because it is not possible to come up with an efficient replacement
> for mpn_mulmod_2expp1 using powm. The object of the benchmark was to
> show what is possible using a new mpn function we had added and which
> (at the time) was not available in GMP.

I do really not follow you... let me ask another question:
What is fermat_prime_p.c? An application implementing Pepin's Test, or
a speed test for an internal function?
If the first is correct, well powm is an almost natural way to
implement Peppin's test, isn't it?

Il the answer is the second... well, calling it "application
benchmark" is nothing more than CHEATING.

Gian.