On 11 Gen, 04:44, Bill Hart <goodwillh...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Take as much time as you like. I think I would be quite impressed if
> it really works for all inputs and is relatively fast. I am not sure I
> could do it properly in 10 lines (unless they were exceptionally long
> lines). You have to do a bit shift and subtract, then deal with the
> carries. Then there are quite a few special cases you have to handle.
> You then have to return the correct "carry".

It can be done... Do nominate a judge, it shouldn't be you... deciding
if "lines are too long".

> Regarding what I will do. Well, if you agree to having the patch
> included, we could include it in our benchmark. You only need to make
> it GPL 2+ and we can use it instead of the dumb function we have. I
> still think we should print a warning though....

No, I do not follow you, if I win you have the right to steal my code?
You should _give_ me something, not _take_ something from me!
(you cheater, you try to cheat also on my possible victory? :D)

> It can be a good standard to test if we have *really* sped up this
> function in future. To do this *really* fast, will take us a *lot*
> more than 10 lines. It's an important function, because it will be

I agree... in 10 lines it will just work, not be the fastest.

> By the way, I am sure you know I am not being serious in what I wrote
> below. I only wrote that to show you how easy it is to call someone a
> cheater. Basically I am saying, "talk is cheap, show me the code".

Talk is cheap: propose something "precious" (your next new function
for MPIR donated also to FSF?), and I'll show the code.

Gian.