On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, John Berry wrote:

> According to Mr. Beaty the reason energy sucking antennas work is not
> because the field of the transmitter is actually sucked into the receiving
> element, but because the field of the receiving element enhances the voltage
> induced.

Probably my article wasn't clear enough.  The field of the receiving
element CANCELS OUT a large region of radio waves.  To do this it has to
be at the same frequency, and have the right phase and amplitude.

The transmitter is sending out EM waves, and the small receiving antenna
is punching a huge "shadow" in those waves.  The missing energy is the
absorbed energy.  In order for a tiny antenna to create a huge downstream
shadow, that receiving antenna must send out fairly intense waves of its
own.  Or in other words, this is an interference pattern, where some
incoming plane waves from the distant transmitter are combined with some
sphere-waves coming from the receiving antenna.

It's counter-intuitive, in part because the cancellation is mostly
happening a quarter wavelength away from the receiver (which might be tens
or hundreds of yards away.)  Right at the receiver are some very intense
EM fields.

Or another way to understand the process is to look at diagrams of
energy-flow of EM waves (called Poynting vector diagrams.) see the GIF
diagrams near the bottom of:

  http://amasci.com/tesla/nearfld1.html

The synchronized fields of the reciever cause the plane-waves from the
transmitter to deflect inwards as if they've passed through a lens.

> I have a problem with this however, it doesn't IMO make any sense. The fact
> that the receiving element might now be created a sizable net field does not
> impact on the effect of the transmitters field on the particles (electrons)
> in the receiver since as I believe is generally accepted electric and
> magnetic fields superimpose and it is not the effect of field against field

Superposition can give a net energy loss (meaning, an energy absorption.)

Now if you just add two plane-wave patterns together, the superposition
does cancel out waves in one place, but it makes them twice as strong in
another place.  It only moves EM energy around.  If you instead superpose
a spherical wave with a plane wave, or superpose two spherical waves,
then, depending on the phase relationship you can create a net loss of
energy.  So, if you put two radio transmitters near each other, and adjust
them for 180deg relative phase, the waves in the distance all cancel out
and vanish, and instead you've created something like a transformer, or a
pair of capacitor plates.  The two "transmitters" can then exchange EM
energy without broadcasting anything.

> but rather of (transmitter) field against matter. (whether or not the
> antenna is creating a net field should not matter)

Wire antennas are far too narrow to interact with longwave EM.  We might
expect that a piece of wire could absorb light waves, or maybe microwaves
of millimeter wavelength.  But how could it absorb AM broacast band 600
meters long?   Simple: the antenna resonantes with the incoming waves,
broadcasts it's own EM field, and the receiver's EM field cancels out the
incoming waves from the distant transmitter.

Also note that this isn't a personal crackpot theory of mine.  I figured
it all out while trying to explain to children how receiving antennas
work, but then RF engineers tell me "what's the big deal, that's just how
receiving antennas actually work, don't people already know that?"  And
then while looking carefully, I do find homework problems in physics books
which deal with similar concepts.  However, I've never found a physics or
engineering book which teaches these concepts directly.  Instead they just
teach the math, and the "antenna aperture" concept.

> Also if the mere presence of a field means that the receiver is more
> 'sensitized' due to it's larger field then it need not be at any frequency.

Unfortunately the absorption process requires that the receiver emit a
signal that's just the right frequency, the right phase, and even the
right amplitude.  Resonant antennas (halfwave, or loopstick) do this
naturally.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci