On Sat, 27 Oct 2007, John Berry wrote:

> but he did inform me of someone else (In Italy IIRC, which I very well may
> not) who had replicated the effect and that is the same basic device here.

That's different!   (And by replication, do you mean the stand-alone
operation, with no DC supply, no sig gen, no nothing except a ground
connection and some glowing LEDs?)

I hadn't heard that anyone had made it work without being driven by a
signal generator (and with unknown power input from the sig gen.)

> Sometimes it pays not to squeeze everything to death especially when you
> don't know how it works

Well, it depends on how tolerant we are of massive disappointment. If Ron
discovers that it's definitely being powered by the AM tower, and that
there is no unexplained energy source...  will he happily go on to the
next experiment?

Or will it be a crushing emotional blow?

After watching (and occasionally experiencing) the failure of FE/OU
experiments, I see that these failures can permanently put people off of
experiments, if not ruin their lives or even push them off the deep end.
For this reason, it's *essential* to start off by making damn sure that
the discovery is real.

Performing FE/OU experiments in the strong field of an AM radio station is
a recipe for emotional disaster.  It's the same as including batteries in
your experiments rather than capacitors.  It's the same as relying on
high-freq input power measurements for detecting OU.  To avoid such
encounters with crushed hopes, we just need to be extremely paranoid that
the odd effect could very well turn out to be something conventional.
And then test the hell out it before daring to admit that something
unexplained is occurring.  (Or set up the situation so there are no
conventional energy sources present at all.)

> and instead go with the weight of evidence and
> probabilities which in this case is for something decidedly unusual
> occurring. (I'm not saying that it shouldn't be scrutinized, just that it
> should be in balance with how little is known of this mysterious energy)

It's either the nobel prize, **OR** it's just tapping into the AM radio
station.

Talking about a mysterious energy as if it's been detected ...is falling
into the trap of belief-before-verification.  As long as the possibility
of AM-tower energy reception is enormous, the possibility of enormous
crushing disappointment hovers over everyone who has decided that the
effect is a real anomaly.  But I say again, for those who can repeatedly
tolerate these kinds of disappointments, then by all means don't bother
protecting yourself from them.  Those among us with wide open sensitivity
should be wary, and should not risk leaping to a stance of belief before
the major pathways to disappointment have been blocked.

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci